Lost faith completely in College Football awards

take a guess as to why he wasn't a finalist

Submissions are sent by the Big XII office and not by the team?

That says alot right there. The Big 12 office, just a band of a$$holes.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

Do we know that for a fact, or is it just a guess?

The Big XII had nothing to do with this. He was a semi finalist anf then it is up to the Groza Awards panel of voters to narrow it down to three finalists and then the winner.

ALex himself said after the game when asked about the award said he is guessing it's a numbers thing.

It will be no big deal when he is drafted before any of the finalists. The NFL will see his success and superiority vs other kickers, especially when they know Alex punts like an All Pro, and that will give them an extra roster spot.

The only reason I can think of is that he has only made 16 field goals this year. The low number has to be the only thing keeping him out of the discussion. Keep in mind with the Groza they do not look at a career body of work, just a seasons. I'm not saying I agree with it just trying to look at the other side of things. My personal opinnion is the same as yours Alex is the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, and him being left of the list is a discrace and the committe that makes these decisions should be ashamed.

Look at the stats of the Notre Dame kicker. In the very least Alex should be in his spot.

The only reason I can think of is that he has only made 16 field goals this year. The low number has to be the only thing keeping him out of the discussion. Keep in mind with the Groza they do not look at a career body of work, just a seasons. I'm not saying I agree with it just trying to look at the other side of things. My personal opinnion is the same as yours Alex is the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, and him being left of the list is a discrace and the committe that makes these decisions should be ashamed.

Look at the stats of the Notre Dame kicker. In the very least Alex should be in his spot.

I agree completely I was just trying to justify it. Hoping it would maybe make me less angry about Alex getting snubbed, btw it did not work. It just makes their award look like a sham.

I think it's a crime that he's not a finalist. Here is the way they determine the Groza:

Prior to the start of each college football season, the Lou Groza Award Watch List consisting of 30 players is released. This Watch List is determined based on statistics from the previous season and preseason expectations. Information is received from national media, school sports information directors and other ranking sources. However, all Division I-A kickers are eligible for the coveted award. During the season the Groza Awards committee monitors the success of all kickers on a national level. Weekly, beginning in early September the award recognizes the three outstanding kickers of the week based on the previous week’s play.

Accomplishments are tabulated throughout the season and the Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award committee announces its 20 semi-finalists in early-November. From this list, a panel of over 300 experts selects the top three finalists for the award in late November. That same group then selects the national winner.

(Here is the website: http://www.lougrozaaward.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pages.theaward&x=7001241)

-ladyhawke~

After looking at the stats for the other finalists, i would have to go back on my original judgement and just be honest in saying it had to be tough for the panel to decide on 3 finalists. However also looking at the numbers it's easy to say he will be drafted possible as high if no higher than any kicker in history. It's not that he makes everything but the fact that he repeatedly hit 40+ field goals, even at crucial moments, over and over again, and theyre never even close. 57 yards with the present and future on the line? done. He may be more of a sure thing as a draft pick than Suh was. He'll be giving lessons to Vinatieri on how to be clutch.

Even with Henery being the great kicker that he is, I find it highly unlikely that he will be drafted. Somebody would have to pull a pick completely out of left field to draft Henery any higher than the fifth round imho.

The last time a kicker was taken in the first round was 2000 and the only other time before that was 1966. Also, only a couple other kickers have ever actually been drafted and they were in the sixth and seventh rounds.

Henery is obviously one of the best kickers in CFB history. Given that he is both a field goal kicker and a punter, it could help his draft stock immensely, but I still just don't see it happening any higher than fourth at best.

I heard on the tv yesterday that Alex is NOT a finalist for the Groza award, naming the country's best kicker. This was "absurd" according to Ed Cunningham. I dont understand, no matter what you wanna go by, Alex is the BEST. Accuracy, check. Distance, check. Percentage, check. Hell, not only the Groza, but he should get the Guy too, he's also the best punter. It's a joke.

Here's the email address, ask them kpursell@palmbeachsports.com

Without a doubt Alex is one of Nebraska's all time greats and not just as a kicker. How many games has he been basically responsible for flipping the field or kicking long field goals to save the day? Nothing gets the crowd on their feet like Alex pinning someone down inside the 5 and hearing the crowd as the Blackshirts run out! My all time favorite on Youtube is still his 57 yarder against Colorado. I can't think of a play that gets me hyped like that one does!!! Hearing Matt Davison say "Get there" and the crowd exploding!!!! What a memorable moment in Husker history.......