Corey Raymond CB coach from Indiana has joined the NU staff.

A bit back on the topic of Corey Raymond now.

The 1620 guys were skeptical of his experience, but they were thinking he would be LBs coach and noting he's never coached linebackers before.

Raymond is highly recommended as a secondary coach by Bo himself, and is supposed to be a fantastic technician for DBs. And he will be working under Bo, one of the best with DBs and someone who is familiar with him. I am encouraged by this hire, both from a coaching and a recruiting standpoint. Welcome Coach Corey.

Well, this isnt a real media market. Its Nebraska. Not once have a provided a justification of Bo lying to the media. Nor do I believe he is right in doing so. But Bo honestly doesnt know how to deal with these guys,and it seems like people judge him too harsh for that. I like the fact that he coaches football and does it well. Do I think Bo tries to lie? No, he is probably just told from a higher source what to not discuss and those guys break him down to the point where he really doesnt know what to say, and fumbles.

I understand that the media has a job to do. But Bo often doesnt lie to them, he first says that will not be discussed and they keep firing. Get the hint people. What did they accomplish by coaxing him into a lie? Yeah Chatelain, you caught Bo, now let him digress on the coaching staff, who is coming in, what you had for dinner last night, and the defensive gameplan for every game next year. Bottom line is that it gets you nowhere, except trouble.

No, it's not a real media market. It's more than that. It's the fan base of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, and we deserve more than this from our Head Coach.

I don't think anyone higher than Bo is telling Bo to cover up like this. Tom certainly isn't. This is Bo's personality, Bo's decision, and Bo is going to have to take responsibility for how he's dealing with the press and the fans.

Chatelain is simply doing his job. I'm no Dirk Chatelain apologist, and I'm a huge Bo Pelini fan, but the fact is that Bo is in the wrong here. The story is out, denying it and/or lying about it only makes Nebraska look bad. With the amount of bad press we've gotten over the past year, much of it caused directly by Bo's actions, we don't need this right now.

Bo can stop this. It's entirely in his power. Bo is the one who keeps perpetuating the problems he has with the press.

So Bo gets himself in trouble AGAIN . . . when it is absolutely unnecessary to do so.

Bo needs to hire someone who can save him from himself.

Exactly. He's like a blind man walking through a mine field, refusing guidance. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Stupid.

i dont agree with this at all. He said he would address it at a later time, i dont see what else he needs to say. Props for the journalists doing there jobs but Bo cant comment on it right now. Its pretty simple. The press confrence was to focus on the recruits and he did as good of job as he could to keep it on track.

It is absurd to pretend that the only thing that should be talked about at this time is the recruiting class, which Bo wasn't even going to get specific with in the first place. We're making major changes to our coaching staff, and Bo wants to pretend we're only doing some mini chit-chat about recruits.

It's like putting a bow on a birthday present when you just cut an artery. Let's address the important things first, huh? And when the cat's out of the bag, DO NOT LIE to us about what's going on.

Bo is making it quite clear that he views his relationship with the press and the fans as a confrontation, not as a cooperative effort. We all have our roles in this thing, and acting like he's doing this alone is completely wrong. Shutting out your shareholders is a pretty poor way to run a public company. That's what Bo is doing. Dumb.

No offense but if you had to deal with idiots like Chatelain on a regualr basis it would become pretty easy to view it as a confrontation. How many times does a guy have to say that he isnt talking about that crap? You will know soon enough, and you will have his words soon enough. You would think as a journalist that understands the importance of a program you would get the hint to lay off and let the news come as it may.

Back to the confrontation aspect of media. Its like how stereotypes and racism is formed, most are a good bunch of people, but it only takes one or two bad apples to run their image and respect for the whole group. I have not witnessed a coach that deals with as much garbage as Bo does. People act like if they dont know news this second that they never will. Yeah were going to have a major coaching shakeup and the only way youll know is when you see them on the sidelines at the first game. Goodness. <_<

So they are idiots for doing their jobs? The question needed to be asked because the situation was already out there. Hell I could care less about the class, because I know more through this board than what Bo would divulge about any recruit. I am sure I am not the only person on this board that wanted this to be addressed. And as reporters you HAVE to ask follow up questions. It is their job, and if they don't they go back to their desk and their boss gets on their ass for not following up. I think Dirk is an asshat a lot but he gets major props for bringing it up. MitchS. does too. Other than Peat picking NU this IS the major storyline of the day

Bo doesnt care that you know more from this board. Fans who dont follow a message board dont. Bo doesnt care that you want to know more than just about recruits. It is what the presser was scheduled to discuss. I understand they have a job to do, but how long have they worked with Bo? It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that if he diverts once, your better off breaking into the federal reserve. I want this addressed as well. We all do. But you have to understand that Bo probably doesnt have the permission to discuss such things right now.

So Bo gets himself in trouble AGAIN . . . when it is absolutely unnecessary to do so.

Exactly. He's like a blind man walking through a mine field, refusing guidance. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Stupid.

i dont agree with this at all. He said he would address it at a later time, i dont see what else he needs to say. Props for the journalists doing there jobs but Bo cant comment on it right now. Its pretty simple. The press confrence was to focus on the recruits and he did as good of job as he could to keep it on track.

It is absurd to pretend that the only thing that should be talked about at this time is the recruiting class, which Bo wasn't even going to get specific with in the first place. We're making major changes to our coaching staff, and Bo wants to pretend we're only doing some mini chit-chat about recruits.

It's like putting a bow on a birthday present when you just cut an artery. Let's address the important things first, huh? And when the cat's out of the bag, DO NOT LIE to us about what's going on.

Bo is making it quite clear that he views his relationship with the press and the fans as a confrontation, not as a cooperative effort. We all have our roles in this thing, and acting like he's doing this alone is completely wrong. Shutting out your shareholders is a pretty poor way to run a public company. That's what Bo is doing. Dumb.

No offense but if you had to deal with idiots like Chatelain on a regualr basis it would become pretty easy to view it as a confrontation. How many times does a guy have to say that he isnt talking about that crap? You will know soon enough, and you will have his words soon enough. You would think as a journalist that understands the importance of a program you would get the hint to lay off and let the news come as it may.

Back to the confrontation aspect of media. Its like how stereotypes and racism is formed, most are a good bunch of people, but it only takes one or two bad apples to run their image and respect for the whole group. I have not witnessed a coach that deals with as much garbage as Bo does. People act like if they dont know news this second that they never will. Yeah were going to have a major coaching shakeup and the only way youll know is when you see them on the sidelines at the first game. Goodness. <_<

No offense, Lyons, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

First, a reporter's job is not to let the news come to them. Their job is to find out the truth, and report it.

Second, Bo is the one making the garbage that he is dealing with. When Chatelain asks a question that Bo doesn't want to answer he should smile, (maybe even ***gasp*** laugh!) and say "no comment." Instead, Bo gets visibly angry and lies. That's absolutely unnecessary.

Chatelain has one job: find the news and report it. He tried to do that job today and certain sheep are attacking him for it.

Bo's job is much more multi-faceted: football coach, face of a program/university, mentor, and like it or not PUBLIC RELATIONS. In my opinion he is failing at one part of that description.

Hell of a damn time to be out of +1's. I'd throw ya one carlfense. It is the same thing that I have tried to reiterate. They are doing their jobs. Break the news that the people WANT to know.

The 1620 guys were skeptical of his experience, but they were thinking he would be LBs coach and noting he's never coached linebackers before.

Raymond is highly recommended as a secondary coach by Bo himself, and is supposed to be a fantastic technician for DBs. And he will be working under Bo, one of the best with DBs and someone who is familiar with him. I am encouraged by this hire, both from a coaching and a recruiting standpoint. Welcome Coach Corey.

Well...according to Bo there have been no new hires in regards to the coaching staff. dry.gif

Is that what we were discussing? :)

Here's my take on the Raymond hire - I don't know this guy from Adam. I've never heard his name until today. But I trust that Bo knows coaching talent, and I fully expect anyone he hires to work out well. I'd never heard of Papuchis before Bo hired him and he turned out pretty well. Same for Ekeler, for a while at least. I was frankly openly skeptical about hiring Dobson, and posted my skepticism publicly here several times. I happily ate those words.

I may not like some things about Bo, but the man knows football, he knows defense like nobody's business, and he is (apparently) a very good judge of coaching talent. I'm sure this hire will work out just fine.

Chatelain and the rest of the local press are playing softball with Bo compared to what other coaches go through around the country. They ask legitimate questions and Bo often responds by lying to them. In a real media market like Chicago, New York, anywhere in Texas, Florida or California, Bo would be ripped to shreds by the media for the way he behaves.

Bingo. Unfortunately, those stories would be entirely justified. Maybe Bo should just designate one of the assistant coaches as the main media contact? I'm a long time critic of Watson's on field product but he sure seems comfortable talking to the media. Let him handle the questions, perhaps?

I am very excited about this guy. As much as I will miss Sanders, he never was a great recruiter. Corey Raymond sounds like a great coach and great recruiter.

Chatelain and the rest of the local press are playing softball with Bo compared to what other coaches go through around the country. They ask legitimate questions and Bo often responds by lying to them. In a real media market like Chicago, New York, anywhere in Texas, Florida or California, Bo would be ripped to shreds by the media for the way he behaves.

Bingo. Unfortunately, those stories would be entirely justified. Maybe Bo should just designate one of the assistant coaches as the main media contact? I'm a long time critic of Watson's on field product but he sure seems comfortable talking to the media. Let him handle the questions, perhaps?

Maybe, except its looking like Watson might not be here after today...

Maybe, except its looking like Watson might not be here after today...

If that's the case I'm running to N Street for some champagne.

I'll do it. I'll work for 1/5th of Watson's salary and we'll have a heck of a lot better PR than we do now.

Of course, everything will have to be done via HuskerBoard forums, but at least it'll be done right.

• Fire 1

Stupid.

Exactly. I owe ya a +1 sometime, as I am all out. Why are some people struggling to see this

People see things differently. I may say a color is purple and you may call it blue. It doesn't do any good to try to force me to think it's blue.

It's not the fact of how people see things it goes back to denying this vs a no comment. A lot of posters, including many of the most respected, agree on this point. If you don't want to address it just say no comment. By denying something that has already been put out by Raymond's boss(Wilson) makes you look very foolish. You can say no comment to every question and come out looking like you have more integrity then calling out another head coach as a liar. He did it the first time it was broached, but then couldn't help but stick his foot in his mouth. Again Bo's handling of the situation warrants a :facepalm:

knapplc's example of shareholders is perfect. As the CEO, when you know your company is tanking do you sit their and lie to your main backers? No. Hecould have did better by just always saying two words instead of trying to refute what has been made known.

At what point did Bo say "No, Corey Raymond has not been hired and will not be hired on here at Nebraska."? He didn't. Like I said earlier, he chose his words carefully. I'll agree with you that he should have went the no comment route, but he didn't and now the all knowing Jedi/MENSA/Rhodes Scholar Husker fans are quick to crucify him.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm just saying what I feel. You've interpreted his words in a way which I haven't.

Stupid.

So they are idiots for doing their jobs? The question needed to be asked because the situation was already out there. Hell I could care less about the class, because I know more through this board than what Bo would divulge about any recruit. I am sure I am not the only person on this board that wanted this to be addressed. And as reporters you HAVE to ask follow up questions. It is their job, and if they don't they go back to their desk and their boss gets on their ass for not following up. I think Dirk is an asshat a lot but he gets major props for bringing it up. MitchS. does too. Other than Peat picking NU this IS the major storyline of the day

Bo doesnt care that you know more from this board. Fans who dont follow a message board dont. Bo doesnt care that you want to know more than just about recruits. It is what the presser was scheduled to discuss. I understand they have a job to do, but how long have they worked with Bo? It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that if he diverts once, your better off breaking into the federal reserve. I want this addressed as well. We all do. But you have to understand that Bo probably doesnt have the permission to discuss such things right now.

Doesnt' have permission?!? It is HIS damn hire. I don't think TO went to Indiana to a coach he probably knows little about and coaxed him to leave Hoosier nation and come here. THIS IS ALL ON BO, IT WAS HIS CALL.

And again, this was the biggest news of the day besides Peat signing. So of course it NEEDS to be reported, and to do that you HAVE to ask the questions that will probably make Bo butthurt, but guess what, he made the hire

I am very excited about this guy. As much as I will miss Sanders, he never was a great recruiter. Corey Raymond sounds like a great coach and great recruiter.

Sanders wasn't really a great recruiter? really?? Ya might want to go check out our recruiting commitment list for the past 3 years and pay attention to the DB's Sanders was responsible for getting in here to Nebraska!

I just listened to the teleconference. I don't understand the bunched up undies. What exactly did he lie about??

Dirk's 3 shots at getting some info made me giggle. Well played!! I'm glad the reporters brought it up and I wish he would've answered cause I want to know but I'm certainly not as butthurt as many posters on this board. Does it matter if I know today or 3 weeks from today? Not so much.

Bo got himself in trouble again? Really? What trouble was that? I must have missed something.

Osborne doesn't like how Bo handles this stuff? Really? Yeah, he was an open book with the B12- b10 thing- oh wait, no he was elusive until it was time to announce it. People just get a Os-boner every time he talks regardless of what he says.

Embarrassing? Really? To who? Do you think Bo is embarrassed? Were you embarrassed? Why? I wasn't.

It sounds to me that there are going to be changes but that no one is getting fired, they just aren't renewing contracts. Although it may be a semantic difference, it is a difference. Also, someone said these contracts expire 2/12 so maybe technically and legally this just isn't the time to discuss it. If that is the case technically he didn't lie.

The fact that so many people want to get upset about this is weaksauce!!

BTW- we signed a pretty good class today. That is what the teleconference was for.

• Fire 6