Frost/Warinner

The other day you were certain with Warinner. What happened with that? Have you heard?

Far as I know, it's the same thing with Frost - Warinner didn't want to come here on what would be a lateral transfer, and he opted to stay where he is / stability. Beck taking over the OC role probably screwed any chance we had to get Warinner or Frost.

Regarding Frost being a douche - I felt the same way back in the late 90s. The guy won games, but he rubbed me the wrong way. Then I met him, had several conversations with him in the past few years, and my opinion has very much changed. Sure, he's a confident guy - very few NFL players lack confidence - but whatever D-baggery I saw or thought I saw in the 90s was gone. He was a regular guy, talking football with me, a very regular guy. Liked his dad, too. Very much liked his mom. When I met Frost he had zero reason to talk with me, but he took time to talk quite a number of times, for basically no reason. I have a hard time thinking he's a D-Bag these days.

Well...obviously everyone knows Frost said no. He thought coming here as a run game coordinator was a lateral move and saw staying a receivers coach as pretty equal. That's too bad because the reason we even gave him the opportunity to come back is because we felt he might understand how things are done at NU. Apparently . . he doesn't understand it as much as we thought.

Sounds like 3 of 4 coaches are now hired. Lots of rumors flying but I at this point most people are guessing. I have someone who does know but he won't give it up at this point. He just said its not who people think and left it at that.

Question, when you say "3 out 4" coaches have been hired, do you count Beck's promotion in that count? If so, will Bo only hire 1 offensive coach to replace Wats and Gilmore and just go with 1 coach less? If not, who is the third coach?

Els and Raymond are the defense. 1 new offensive coach has been hired and 1 more spot on offense to fill. Beck was just promoted and not counted in the new hires.

That is pretty much what I've heard too. Nobody knows who the one who is hired is or who they are looking at. If anyone says that they do, then they are full of sh#t.

And Sipple was correct, it seems like we have struck out on Warriner, Frost and everyone else we have talked too.

The other day you were certain with Warinner. What happened with that? Have you heard?

Scott was right, apparently it broke down and now I've heard from several people that Beck is the OC.

Oh, I don't know about that. If Tommie Frazier was announced as the OC, I can see a lot of people going damn it!

Speaking of Frazier, my only wish is that he stuck with coaching. For what Bo wants on offense, Frazier would've made a good QB coach.

And for what he looks like today, Frazier would make a good OLine coach. Insert Rimshot. ZING!!!!

Far as I know, it's the same thing with Frost - Warinner didn't want to come here on what would be a lateral transfer, and he opted to stay where he is / stability. Beck taking over the OC role probably screwed any chance we had to get Warinner or Frost.

Regarding Frost being a douche - I felt the same way back in the late 90s. The guy won games, but he rubbed me the wrong way. Then I met him, had several conversations with him in the past few years, and my opinion has very much changed. Sure, he's a confident guy - very few NFL players lack confidence - but whatever D-baggery I saw or thought I saw in the 90s was gone. He was a regular guy, talking football with me, a very regular guy. Liked his dad, too. Very much liked his mom. When I met Frost he had zero reason to talk with me, but he took time to talk quite a number of times, for basically no reason. I have a hard time thinking he's a D-Bag these days.

When I met and knew Frost, he had every reason to be a d-bag as he was a senior in high school and a highly touted football recruit. However, I thought he took it all in stride and was a nice guy. My wife on the other hand worked with him and thinks he's a complete d-bag. Different strokes for different folks.

You are right about Frost, it just didn't make sense for him to come here right now. It was bad timing, he has a chance to stay and learn under Kelly or come to NU for the same job and learn under who? So it was either be the OC or stay at Oregon and he hasn't done enough to deserve that job yet, so it's best that he just stays where he's at. Maybe down the road when the timings is better, he will come home.

I still think he's a cocky douche for other reasons, but that's just me. :corndance

Oh, I don't know about that. If Tommie Frazier was announced as the OC, I can see a lot of people going damn it!

But Frost wasnt gonna be the OC. I think that was given from the start of convincing him to come here, atleast from Bo side of things.

The point was comparing a Nebraska guy with a Nebraska guy. After Frazier's stint at coaching, I think most fans would be luke warm at best having him announced as a coach.

AF, and others: I really don't feel Beck wasn't going to be OC (in duties) to begin with. AFAIK, all that's happened is we haven't gotten a guy or two that were high choices for positions coaches, and would have required a co/OC tag to lure here. Doubt playcalling/QB work/most of the scheming would have been taken away from Beck regardless. Am I off the mark here? Would appreciate it, thanks!

For those that dont follow recruiting Jamal Turner told scout in an interview a long time ago that Tim Beck was going to take over as OC. I think this was in December or early Jan. I think the Co/OC thing was to get better position coaches here, while still making it look like a promotion, when in fact its going to be becks show, just a better title. Now i bet we just get new poition coaches.

Wonder who the new guy is, that they have picked out, and who they are going to hire for the last postion. Hopefully its someone with a good background. Excited to find out.

AF, and others: I really don't feel Beck wasn't going to be OC (in duties) to begin with. AFAIK, all that's happened is we haven't gotten a guy or two that were high choices for positions coaches, and would have required a co/OC tag to lure here. Doubt playcalling/QB work/most of the scheming would have been taken away from Beck regardless. Am I off the mark here? Would appreciate it, thanks!

I agree. Beck was always going to call the plays unless someone extraordinary came along. From what I understand now and believe is that pretty much the mystery guy was on board on Saturday (contract is signed)and we negotiated with Scott when we probably didn't need to. But it was in good faith by Bo. EW wasn't ever interviewed or contacted. So really we've only be turned down by one guy. I think if I remember correctly there were supposed to be 4 people on Bo's short list. I don't know if that was just for one of the open positions or for all positions combined on offense.

I agree. Beck was always going to call the plays unless someone extraordinary came along. From what I understand now and believe is that pretty much the mystery guy was on board on Saturday (contract is signed)and we negotiated with Scott when we probably didn't need to. But it was in good faith by Bo. EW wasn't ever interviewed or contacted. So really we've only be turned down by one guy. I think if I remember correctly there were supposed to be 4 people on Bo's short list. I don't know if that was just for one of the open positions or for all positions combined on offense.

Wonder if the guy on board is Sims. Also curious to see who the 4th guy is. I agree with Zoogies that it was pretty clear from the beginning in 2008 that Beck was always the heir apparent to be the OC. Everything since then, Turner's quote, the press chatter, etc. has done nothing but confirm to me that Beck was going to call plays. Whomever they were trying to get would be a position coach with the CO-OC as last ditch bait. I would love to see either Warriner or Frost on the Husker staff, but it is not to be. Sims looks like a very good coach, I think he could be a very good RB coach.

I am braced to be completely underwhelmed by this coaching change. Pity.

:yeah

This does not appear to be going well. We need a big splash on the offensive side of the ball. We miss on this opportunity and prepare for 3-4 years of more mediocrity. Anyone from the NFL that could be a good candidate?

I personally have no ill will towards Frost for turning the NU job down. The man has to do what he feels is in his best interest. He's got a good thing going up there in Eugene right now. I wish him luck, regardless. Nice to see him having success in his life.