This is not surprising. After the Big 12 title game loss to Texas in 2009, the rumor mill about whether Watson would be retained or not was in overdrive and over at HI two people close to the situation had mentioned that Beck would be next in line for OC. Sure enough it carried over a year later and that's still the case by the looks of it.

What I'm curious to know is are they really looking for a co-OC or are they just using that title to entice the people they're interested in? If in fact they are looking for a legitimate co-OC to share playcalling duties, then what that tells me is Bo isn't confident in Beck's ability to run the show by himself? Of course I might be reaching here, but what other excuse is there other than the title itself? Especially if it's in title only but no playcalling duties? Why not just hire the two positions coaches and call it good?

It sounds more like a way to entice people to come here, who wouldn't come for anything less.

(edit) Which, on that note, would make it seem like it was really Beck all along, wouldn't it? And we were just trying to get in a Nebraska guy back to coach RB or WR, and someone to help with the OL, around Beck who would be calling the plays.

It makes a lot of sense as far as the way we do things here. Beck seems to have been in line for this since the CCG.

I would not put much stock into the Holiday Bowl. Sounds like it was a complete mess of management. Seemed like Beck was effectively OC for all of bowl prep. And then Watson called plays. It should not have been two different people doing that. Give one guy all of the responsibility.

Do you think anybody really knows the real candidate? I just don't see Pelini spilling the beans or any of his coaches. After reading these threads over the last week a different guy is in the running every day. I think Bo has a plan and most of Husker Nation will be pleasantly surprised. This is Bo's shot at molding together the team he originaly and always wanted, I don't see him half assing it. I think he got the guy he wanted on offense and he's taking his time plugging the remaining holes until the chaos legal dust settles.

Do you think anybody really knows the real candidate? I just don't see Pelini spilling the beans or any of this coaches. After reading these threads over the last week a different guy is in the running every day. I think Bo has a plan and most of Husker Nation will be pleasantly surprised. This is Bo's shot at molding together the team he originaly and always wanted, I don't see him half assing it. I think he got the guy he wanted on offense and he's taking his time plugging the remaining holes until the chaos legal dust settles.

Yep this is Bo's shot at getting 'his' guys he wants on the coaching staff. We may be surprised, we may not. He took chances on ekeler and papachis, they turned out to be pretty good. I have full confidence he is gonna make the right choices. Bo has vision of what he wants this team to be, he will does his best not to screw it up.

The only thing I will say about all of this is Bo may have a plan but it also boils down to who's available and who is actually willing to accept an offer.

I just wish he would have put together 'his' staff when we brought him in initially. I love Tom Osborne to no end. Without question but he should have let Bo assemble his own staff instead of suggesting he keep someone else's (Bill Callahan).

I want this to be over with so we can start getting to work.

If this is true I am extremely, extremely disappointed.

Agreed. We need some new blood to inject life into the pitiful being that is our offense.

I don't get this sentiment. Beck is essentially new blood as far being the OC goes. He was just the RB's coach, everything done prior is on Watson. Beck does not run or will not run the same offense, the passing game will be significantly revamped. I think a good portion of the ground game will stay, but will be revamped to fit a cohesive identity. Read Beck's bio, he has earned this shot.

Coaching Experience: 1988-89, Miramar High School, Miramar, Fla. (assistant coach); 1990, Illinois State (assistant coach/outside linebackers); 1991-92, Kansas State (graduate assistant coach); 1993-95, Saguaro High School, Scottsdale, Ariz. (head coach); 1996-98, Missouri State (assistant coach/offensive coordinator); 1999-2001, R.L. Turner High School, Carrollton, Texas (head coach); 2002-04, Mansfield Summitt High School, Mansfield, Texas (head coach); 2005-06, Kansas, (assistant coach/wide receivers); 2007, Kansas (assistant coach/wide receivers, pass game coordinator); 2008-present, Nebraska (assistant coach/running backs)

Beck came to Nebraska with excellent knowledge of the conference after a three-year stint on the staff at Kansas. Beck was the Jayhawks' receivers coach each of his three seasons in Lawrence, and was promoted to pass game coordinator in February of 2007.

The Kansas passing game flourished under Beck's leadership. In 2007, Kansas featured one of the nation's most potent offenses, helping the Jayhawks to a 12-1 record and a No. 7 final national ranking. Kansas capped its season with a 24-21 victory over Virginia Tech in the Fed Ex Orange Bowl.

The Jayhawks finished the year ranked second nationally in scoring offense (42.8 ppg), eighth in total offense (479.8 ypg) and 17th in passing offense (291.0 ypg). Four Kansas players topped the 40-reception mark, led by senior receiver Marcus Henry, who caught 54 passes for 1,014 yards and 10 touchdowns to earn All-Big 12 honors.

In 2006, five Jayhawk receivers caught at least 24 passes, led by Fields who snared a team-high 45 receptions. In 2005, Beck's receiving corps helped Kansas to a 7-5 record and a victory in the Fort Worth Bowl.

Before joining the Jayhawks, Beck was one of the most respected high school coaches in the state of Texas, serving three seasons at Summit High in Mansfield. He was the 2003 District Coach of the Year, and a year later, Summit High advanced to the quarterfinals of the state playoffs with a 9-4 record. The Jaguars finished the season with the top-ranked defense in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex area under Beck's leadership.

Beck was the head coach at R.L. Turner High in Carrollton, Texas, from 1999 to 2001, leading the school to back-to-back playoff appearances and consecutive winning seasons for the first time in 25 years. Beck was named the district coach of the year in 2000.

Prior to coaching in the Texas high school ranks, Beck worked at Missouri State for three seasons from 1996 to 1998, including one season as the offensive coordinator. In 1998, the MSU offense racked up 4,542 total yards-the fourth-best single-season mark in school history.

Beck was hired at Missouri State after leading Saguaro High School in Scottsdale, Ariz., to the 1995 4A state championship - the first state championship in the school's 30-year history. Beck was named the regional coach of the year in 1994, and in his final two seasons at the school, Saguaro compiled a 23-4 record, compared to a 5-43 mark in the five seasons prior to his arrival.

The 44-year-old Beck first gained experience in the Big 12 Conference as a graduate assistant at Kansas State in 1991 and 1992 under Head Coach Bill Snyder. Beck worked on the KSU staff with Carl Pelini. Previously, Beck coached the outside linebackers and punters at Illinois State in 1990, and worked in 1988 and 1989 as an assistant coach at Miramar High School.

Beck has 9 years experience as a position coach/OC in college. He has significant experience calling plays, 1 year at the college level and multiple years at the HS level at very high levels of competition. He has experience game planning as an OC, at two collegiate levels as well as several years at the HS level. He has BCS experience, collegiate experience, and has an offense he knows how to run and adjust within. Beck has been on a path to get to be a OC at a major program.

Bo didn't have any play calling experience prior to coming to to NU in 2003. What he did have is 9 years as a position coach in the NFL, GA experience in college, and HS coaching experience.

2005-07, LSU, defensive coordinator

2004, Oklahoma, co-defensive coordinator, defensive backs

2003, Nebraska, defensive coordinator, interim head coach for Alamo Bowl

2000-02, Green Bay Packers, linebackers

1997-99, New England Patriots, linebackers

1994-96, San Francisco 49ers, assistant secondary

1993, Cardinal Mooney High School, quarterbacks

1991, Iowa, graduate assistant