tressel situation

That's bullsh#t. People still give sh#t about Maurice Clarrett and Ohio State was exhonerated of any wrongdoing with it.

cool story bro.

I don't think I brought up or was talking about any of that crap about MC? Different situation but thanks for trying to tie it in.

Honest opinion, The NCAA needs to take a hard line against Tressel, harder then the one that took against the players involved. I don't agree with the rule, it is their stuff, but its a rule, they all know that rule, and still disregarded it.

What Tressel did, by sweeping it under the rug, is much worse. What else has he not reported? Don't get me wrong, I think all schools/coaches do this. Anyone that doesn't is living in a dream world. But Tressel got caught in a blatent lie. To me, 5-6 games total + fine.

Stewart Mandel writes a very good column on the Tressel Confession:

There's no buying Tressel and Ohio St.'s defense for coach's violation

Jim Tressel's Ohio State teams annually field one of the best defenses in the nation. Jim Tressel's personal defense for why he withheld knowledge of potential NCAA violations would be fortunate to give up 50 points per game.

Let's be honest: No one but the most scarlet-and-gray blinded die-hard could possibly buy the explanation being given by the coach and his employer behind an inexplicable lack of judgment that will cost him at least two games and $250,000. It's thinner than the Buckeyes' depth chart for their first five games next season.

I am an Ohio State fan and I don't what to think about the current situation but to say that article was "very good" is far from the truth. The article comes across vindictive and more of a amateur blog like feel. The people that like Tressel before this will continue to do the same and those who hated him before this will also continue.

At the end of the day, what he did was wrong and OSU was in the process of self reporting the violation. Yahoo just made the story come out a bit faster. If they suspend him for the 2 games or the season, it is what OSU has to live by.

To me it comes across as an article written by a guy tired of the NCAA double-standard. tOSU should have had to sit the Tat Five for the bowl game. When they didn't, it reeked of a deal being cut. Stewie was firing a shot across the NCAA's bow with that article, saying that if they don't do something this time, there'll be hell to pay in the aftermath.

I understand where you're coming from with the tone - it was a column, not a news article, though. He expressed opinion that he couldn't if he was just reporting facts. He also hasn't said anything that is wrong in that column.

Deal being cut or not, it hurt OSU more playing them in the game. If they would have taken the loss because the players didn't play, most people wouldn't have come down on OSU as hard.

That's bullsh#t. People still give sh#t about Maurice Clarrett and Ohio State was exhonerated of any wrongdoing with it.

That happened like 7 years ago. And he went to jail, that guy doesnt mean sh*t to that university now, and has nothing to do whats going on at tOSU in the present day.

How blind are you guys.

He has done nothing of value to another Major University.

Texas, LSU, Auburn, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Florida, USC, Oregon, Arkansas, Iowa, Penn State, Florida State and a few others would never give him a look. He has won nothing as a head coach other than the weak Big 12 north, which is considered a joke by most in college football. His team got run at the last bowl game, lost 3 out of the last four. Finishing is required. He has not done that while at Nebraska, close but not done.

He is a good coach, and most likely will get to the level you think he is at. But he is not there yet, the program is not there yet, and until we have an offense it will not get there. I have no idea if his hires are the answer. Callahan sounded good at one time if you remember correctly.Nebraska fans think he walks on water, because we were at such a low level. He has raised hope, changed the attitude possibly, if you do not count the final four games of the year.

Again, I like him and want him here, but I think we would have to fire him to get rid of him, and I do not see that happening anytime soon. Unless we see another melt down on the sidelines. He will be gone or near it if it happens again is my guess. He has some boosters that are not happy with his antics, I can assure you.

Just my oppinion, different from most, but realistic as always.

I knew Callahan was not a good idea right from the start. When our AD was asking every coach out there to take Solich's place and getting rejected each and every time, it seemed like Callahan was a 5th choice. While others were making red jet fighter avatars etc. that depicted what was to come, I knew it was anything but a good idea.

cool story bro.

I don't think I brought up or was talking about any of that crap about MC? Different situation but thanks for trying to tie it in.

That was in relation to no one coming down hard on Ohio State in terms of other fan bases.

Different situation, different outcome, same results regarding external fanbases.

Damn does OSU look dirty as a pig in the mud. Tressel looks completely untrust worthy, he's a snake. Minor violations going back to his hire are above all in college football.

How does this effect OSU's football team? WIll the recruits continue to line up to go to OSU? Is the foundation crumbling? I hate the question "Isn't this going to hurt recruiting?".

Bottom line is I thought Tressel was a man of character and integrity giving some talanted athletes a chance. Now he just looks like some slimey worm covering things up so his football team can succeed.

To throw something different in this thread, read Fiutak's article on the Tressel situation. I know he's not an Osborne/NU lover, but what's he referring to when talking about TO hiding a gun? Seems I slightly remember a rumor about this, but lack any supposed detail.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1054220.html

Wait, there’s more to the Ohio State Tattoo You story than originally thought? Shenanigans? Ohio State? Jim Tressel? Nooooooooooo.

It’s not exactly Tom Osborne hiding a gun, but Tressel knowing about the Tattoo You controversy in April is an interesting revelation, if it really is true, and could open up a debate about whether or not he should be suspended......

I don't believe Tressel deserves to be fired, but the two game suspension and fine is an absolute joke. If you truly think about the gravity of the situation and consider all of it's factors, he deserves much more than that.

Even though I don't think he deserves to be fired, there is reason to justify that he should be.

To throw something different in this thread, read Fiutak's article on the Tressel situation. I know he's not an Osborne/NU lover, but what's he referring to when talking about TO hiding a gun? Seems I slightly remember a rumor about this, but lack any supposed detail.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1054220.html

Wait, there’s more to the Ohio State Tattoo You story than originally thought? Shenanigans? Ohio State? Jim Tressel? Nooooooooooo.

It’s not exactly Tom Osborne hiding a gun, but Tressel knowing about the Tattoo You controversy in April is an interesting revelation, if it really is true, and could open up a debate about whether or not he should be suspended......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1997/12/10/osborne_flashback/phillips.html talks about this, in an unflattering article. Osborne even talks about the event in his book, IIRC. It happened. He gives his side on it, but I think it was still a poor decision.

I'd never sleep if I was a head football coach. Reggie Bush isn't the only player to get improper benefits, so a coach just has to hope the alums aren't out of control. Then there's steroids and other PEDs. And players getting into trouble. It seems to me that there are dirty coaches, and coaches that don't look too closely. Maybe I'm wrong and there are a few clean programs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1997/12/10/osborne_flashback/phillips.html talks about this, in an unflattering article. Osborne even talks about the event in his book, IIRC. It happened. He gives his side on it, but I think it was still a poor decision.

I'd never sleep if I was a head football coach. Reggie Bush isn't the only player to get improper benefits, so a coach just has to hope the alums aren't out of control. Then there's steroids and other PEDs. And players getting into trouble. It seems to me that there are dirty coaches, and coaches that don't look too closely. Maybe I'm wrong and there are a few clean programs.

Ah, yes. Thanks for the reminder, VA.