Russell Wilson pursued by Nebraska

What about this scenario:

Bo and Beck are disappointed with Martinez's progress and/or health and are highly concerned about him playing QB at Nebraska.

They (Bo and Beck) like what Carnes has to offer, but still believe that he would benefit from a year of learning the offense as a backup rather than the starter.

Cody Green is about as useful as a hammer with no handle, and can only be counted on for spot duty here or there.

What to do?

Bring in a kid who is mature and can step in a la Cam Newton for one year. He will not impede Carnes' ultimate ascension to the throne, but avoids the drawbacks of pushing Carnes out there a bit too early.

Russell Wilson comes in and leads the team to a BIG title in 2011, Carnes steps in and helps the team contend for an MNC in 2012.

Not saying that is what Bo and Beck are thinking, or what will happen, but if for whatever reason they've decided Martinez isn't cut out for it, then you can begin to see the value in having a proven commodity like Russell Wilson come in and gap fill for a year.

00275198-962183_159.jpg?k=22b8bf45&pid=275198&s=catl

http://huskersgameday.com/2011/04/12/tim-beck-praises-progress-of-jake-cotton-brion-carnes/

Hes made a tremendous amount of improvement, Beck said. Ive been real pleased with what hes been doing. He still has a ways to go like we all do. Hes made tremendous gains at the quarterback position, no question about it. Im real proud of him and where he is at right now.

http://bigrednetwork.com/story/martinez_would_start_tomorrow._duh/

Its always an ongoing competition. If we were to start a game today, Taylor Martinez would be our quarterback. Wed feel real comfortable with that.

True, Pelini did not make such affirmative statements about last year's incumbent starter, Zac Lee, at this same time a year ago. But, was he ever asked the question point blank? I don't think he was. Keep in mind, Martinez's emergence really happened during the summer and during the fall camp leading up to the 2010 season.

All of that being said, the competition is not over. Remember, Pelini's answer was if the Huskers had to play today. A lot can happen between now and when the Huskers open the season on September 3. But, the notion of Carnes fighting for the job is exactly what Pelini wants.

Clearly, Pelini's number one professional value is competition. No starting job is safe. The best player will play. Period. For evidence, look no further than Martinez passing Lee and Cody Green a year ago. So, Carnes is certainly not out of the mix.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_31c79b4f-ef3a-5c18-881c-9b47dcde146d.html

Carnes has been earning positive reviews from Bo Pelini and Tim Beck alike for his progress throughout this spring.

"Great athlete. Can run. Really good with his feet. A good passer for us," says the offensive coordinator Beck. "He can do what we need him to do."

But it's something else about him that impresses senior wide receiver Brandon Kinnie.

Some redshirt freshmen would let timidity get the best of them. Not Carnes.

"He's stepping up," Kinnie says. "I didn't know he was as shifty as he is. I've seen him growing up fast. I've seen him learning the playbook and going out there and competing. He's not scared to compete, and that's a big thing being an underclassmen, seeing Taylor and Cody out there. He's not backing down none."

I'm going to throw out the "coachspeak" line. Afterall, it works both ways, right? There's plenty of fluff pieces of how great Taylor was doing also.

Look, this is going nowhere. I want the best player to start. If Carnes beats Taylor out, that's good for the team. If you don't want Taylor to start regardless of ability, that's your prerogative. But don't back up your reasoning with rumors or twisted "facts." I've seen way to much of this type of garbage by Husker fans.

I not backing up my statements with twisted crap or rumors, plus your argument is no greater than mine. You might find it interseting that alot of what I have said about Martinez is taken from the quotes/links above. If this is garbage than why are you contributing to the debate here?????

I never said Taylor was a terrible athlete or anything like that, just I didnt think he was suited for the QB position. I never said Carnes was gonna take the job from Martinez THIS year, if Martinez stays healthy. The fact is you are so obessed with Taylor being the starting QB, the second somebody 2nd guesses you go off like 3 year old.

I dont think that it has to do with nobody having confidence. I think it is moreso that Bo would like an experienced kid that can give Carnes another year to work. Think about it fellas, we have a new offense this year so it isn't like he would be that much behind anyone. Only person he would really be behind in grasping the offense is Carnes. Definitely not T-Magic.

Um, what? Taylor has vastly superior knowledge of the offense. Carnes is still struggling, and that's straight from Bo.

Coaches speak. Tmart does not have "superior knowledge of the offense." Well, if he does he is sure fooling a lot of people.

Ah, so Bo flat out lied when he said Carnes was "swimming in it?" And you know this..... how?

I do know people who did attend spring practices. Carnes had a hell of a spring and Tmart did not have that good of one from what I was told. What the people I trust have told me is that Tmart struggles to remember a handful of plays at one time. I am not a Tmart hater, but that is what I was told. Does that mean that Carnes is going to start at QB for us? No.

Would it be the first time that Bo has "lied" as you put it to the press? Let me remind you that Zac Lee's elbow remains fine, and Tmart was 100% all year.

ok and i would argue as someone whom did attend a practice or two by saying that i have no idea where your sources got the idea that martinez cant remember a handful of plays.

also i think you are misinterpreting the second statement. from what i saw i would say that yes carnes had a very productive spring and in my eyes moved himself to 2nd string instead of 3rd but it was also very very clear that martinez was the best qb out there on a day to day basis. carnes is clearly struggling with command of the huddle because he does not know all of the plays, in fact not even close.

the offense has not changed as much as many people assume, yes it is different but that is mostly in terminology and how they approach the plays but halfback pass right is still halfback pass right if you know what i mean. in that regard martinez is ahead of everyone except green, but his ability to lead the team is much better than greens.

again just my observations and things that myself and other people that have attended practices have discussed.

I dont think that it has to do with nobody having confidence. I think it is moreso that Bo would like an experienced kid that can give Carnes another year to work. Think about it fellas, we have a new offense this year so it isn't like he would be that much behind anyone. Only person he would really be behind in grasping the offense is Carnes. Definitely not T-Magic.

Um, what? Taylor has vastly superior knowledge of the offense. Carnes is still struggling, and that's straight from Bo.

Coaches speak. Tmart does not have "superior knowledge of the offense." Well, if he does he is sure fooling a lot of people.

Ah, so Bo flat out lied when he said Carnes was "swimming in it?" And you know this..... how?

I do know people who did attend spring practices. Carnes had a hell of a spring and Tmart did not have that good of one from what I was told. What the people I trust have told me is that Tmart struggles to remember a handful of plays at one time. I am not a Tmart hater, but that is what I was told. Does that mean that Carnes is going to start at QB for us? No.

Would it be the first time that Bo has "lied" as you put it to the press? Let me remind you that Zac Lee's elbow remains fine, and Tmart was 100% all year.

ok and i would argue as someone whom did attend a practice or two by saying that i have no idea where your sources got the idea that martinez cant remember a handful of plays.

also i think you are misinterpreting the second statement. from what i saw i would say that yes carnes had a very productive spring and in my eyes moved himself to 2nd string instead of 3rd but it was also very very clear that martinez was the best qb out there on a day to day basis. carnes is clearly struggling with command of the huddle because he does not know all of the plays, in fact not even close.

the offense has not changed as much as many people assume, yes it is different but that is mostly in terminology and how they approach the plays but halfback pass right is still halfback pass right if you know what i mean. in that regard martinez is ahead of everyone except green, but his ability to lead the team is much better than greens.

again just my observations and things that myself and other people that have attended practices have discussed.

I was told by a certain WR on the offense that you are referring to that there are changes. Not as many as some Watson haters may have hoped for, but to claim that there are minimal changes at best would be false in his opinion. I do agree with you that the very basics are the same though.

We are not going to change each others' opinions, nor is anybody on this board going to change anyone's to be honest. I am not doubting at all what you claim; I do in fact have a lot of friends that are anti-Tmart. Could that cloud their opinions? Sure. But I do trust a lot of the people that I talk to on a regular bases.

Based on your observations, does it appear that Tmart is still hampered by his injury? I had heard that he "rolled" his ankle awhile back.

I think it is great how people pick and choose what quotes they want to take from Bo. I would think most agree he doesn't say much and even when he does it really doesn't tell anything.

I recall last year Bo saying how many mistakes LaVonte David was making. And in much the same fashion, several on this board saw the return of Will Compton as a remedy to the 'mistakes' that David was making.

Bo saying Carnes is struggling means nothing.

I was told by a certain WR on the offense that you are referring to that there are changes. Not as many as some Watson haters may have hoped for, but to claim that there are minimal changes at best would be false in his opinion. I do agree with you that the very basics are the same though.

We are not going to change each others' opinions, nor is anybody on this board going to change anyone's to be honest. I am not doubting at all what you claim; I do in fact have a lot of friends that are anti-Tmart. Could that cloud their opinions? Sure. But I do trust a lot of the people that I talk to on a regular bases.

Based on your observations, does it appear that Tmart is still hampered by his injury? I had heard that he "rolled" his ankle awhile back.

I believe beck just alluded to this on BigRed Wrap Up.

and now we're talkin! i could have phrased it better, i was just trying to say that there arent as many changes as most people believe.

and yes i would say that martinez still looked a little hobbled. i would say that it is still healing but it is well on its way, as i do think that he got that first step back. and again its just my view but from what i saw i would still say that for now martinez is still far and above the rest of the qbs when running the offense we will be running this fall. but you will always have differing opinions and two people watching the same play can have two differing views of how said play was run.

And really, aside from some statements that the offense will be similar to what TM ran in high school, what have we heard to inspire confidence that TM really has a knowledge of the new schemes Beck is putting in place?

I don't know about knowledge, per say, but the coaches said during the spring that the new offense fit Martinez like a glove - an offense we didn't see in the spring game.

Again, an offense fitting you like a glove and knowing the offense are two different things, but it's always good to have an offense that can be tailored to a quarterback rather than trying to tailor a quarterback to an offense.

Also, and this is not directed at you zoogies, people need to chill it with the 'insider' remarks from practices, and the rest of you need to take them for what they're worth.

In fall camp last year there were people who heard from 'insiders' at practices that Latravis Washington was going to be the starter in the fall. Consequentially, this is the internet. People can lie about anything, including information they heard. I'm not saying that's the case here, but keep it in mind.

There were??

I get your point though, and just would like to add that the grapevine buzz has been a bit all over the place on both Taylor and Carnes. It does seem like a lot of the initial optimism on Taylor has died down a bit, though. It's a pity, but I'll still hold onto some optimism.

Taylor having troubles grasping the offense is not new though, if true. I wouldn't really doubt that. The question is if he can still be effective anyway. I think he can. But I'm uneasy at the prospect of watching that unfold.

Zac Lee vs Kansas (5-4) Total D: 76

Passing: 13-21 196yds 0 tds

Rushing: 9 53 yds

Taylor Martinez vs Oklahoma State (6-0) Total D: 88

Passing: 23-35 323yds 5tds

Rushing: 19 112yds

Not even remotely similar. Taylor also skulldrug KSU and was having a great day against Mizzou before getting hurt. Lee did nothing against any of the BCS teams.

Arizona.

Taylor was really not having a great day with Missouri before he got hurt.

Story of his year basically. Opened up the game great, and had a very down second quarter, which in turn saw a very down, dead-drive-filled 2nd quarter for us.

Forgot to mention, sounds like he was quite wronged in NC State. Three year starter, losing his starting job for playing baseball in the spring. I understand it's tough to be a dual-sport athlete, but c'mon coach. Dude's a senior, he's put up 93 touchdowns for your team in the last three years, you don't just kick him to the curb like that.

This is weak, sorry your feelings were hurt coach. I wondered why he was released, now I know.