Russell Wilson pursued by Nebraska

This is still going?!?!?! That is awesome. I don't even remember what we were even talking about. Oh yeah Russell Wilson, you'd think this guy could open one hell of a sporting goods store with a name like that.

Continue by all means.

And no to the OP, even if the guy took the starting gig at NC State from the greatest QB of all time.

The comparison between Zac Lee and Taylor really isn't appropriate. Zac tore his flexor tendon against Arkansas St. and has less effective from there on out. We didn't get a chance to see him play healthy against BCS competition. Taylor wasn't just ineffective aftern his injury. He was absolutely shut down against Texas and SDSU, well before his injury.

:facepalm: at myself for answering this, but....

Lee was also a Junior, in his third year in the program. Marty was a redshirt Freshman who had switched positions mere months before those games.

I think there certainly is something to be said for different levels of experience and comfortability to the offense, but is a tangential issue when I was just talking about the points in the season when each player's respective injuries occurred. Comparing Taylor and Lee's performance against BCS teams isn't altogether fair when we didn't see a healthy Lee against BCS competition. His point of injury coincides with the increase in the difficulty of opponents, which makes it difficult to say which was the bigger factor. We did see a a healthy Taylor against BCS competition and he was both effective and ineffective. I'm not saying he's a finished product by any means, but there are definite causes for concern that extend beyond his injury IMO.

i guess i dont recall singling you out? never once did i say "huskerscott", i replied to you in that post because you replied to my post not to try to single you out.

you are correct the issues that you have with martinez are shared with the minority of the board. however, those of you whom do feel that way base it off of issues that you have no direct knowledge of. it is just a bunch of conspiracy theories when it was obvious to everyone else that martinez played hurt but that is commonly pushed to the side as rubbish to some on this board and only this board.

i just hope that when he proves some of you wrong by the end of his career that you are here to eat some crow, because if i am wrong i will certainly be here to do the same.

So Martinez did exactly the same thing Lee did the year prior. He lit up the competition early on in the year, got hurt and had a crappy finish to the season. I didn't see Lee starting the following year. Not sure why everyone is so confident Martinez will be this year. A scout team WR unseated Lee - Martinez has some legitimate competition behind him. Not saying it will happen - but I personally can't see how as the 2010 season fades away, people's confidence in Martinez continues to grow and grow. This same thread would have had a very different tone to it in January. What's changed that makes everyone so much more confident today?

Not at all. Lee looked good against the sunbelt and had one decent quarter against Mizzou, but even then, there were obvious bad signs. He did nothing against the BCS schools. Nothing. He was in the system for his 3rd year, and couldn't get it done against anyone. Lee was Watson's boy, and he should have been ready.

Taylor lit it up against some opponents and struggled against others, then he got injured. It's pretty much a given that he would struggle, like every freshman QB does. He set records, led the team to 2 top #15 wins, and showed promise. And he did it all in a shoehorned offense that was brand new to just about every, run by an OC who didn't understand it, or want him starting.

It all boils down to if you think Taylor has hit his ceiling as a freshman, and will never get better. I think he can improve.

Here we go again...... you saying their werent bad signs against srubs we faced before conference season with Taylor as the QB.

Lee did what he was asked during the 2009 season, nothing more nothing less.

I did not say that at all. Certainly Taylor had issues, even against the scrubs. But there's a gigantic difference between a redshirt frosh who hadn't even been QB for a year, and a 4th year Junior who was very successful in JUCO, had been in the system for more than 2 years, and plain out sucked against everyone with a pulse. Lee didn't "do what he was asked." The offense had to be dumbed down because he couldn't do anything.

You could say the samething for Taylor, WAIT it was because he was injured just like Zac Lee. The offense was dumbed down because 1. Lee was injured 2. We had ZERO offensive weapons 3. Our defense was OUTSTANDING and Lee was ask dont screw it up.

Zac Lee lit up a KU team at the time people thought were pretty decent, just like Taylor torched Okie Light. The common dominator is that both had really good offenses countered by terrible defenses.

You could insert Taylors name where Zac's is and you have the same result as 2009 vs. 2010. Zac lost his job in the fall, because Bo wanted the best chance to win regardless of experience, the same could be said for Taylor this year, if that ankle contiunes to be a problem.

Take out the names of the QB's and put in Watson. When I read the post I thought this said more about Watson than the QB's. The guy simply could not put together a strong and disciplined offense. His teams were flashy but could not take a punch. I hope we see more next year. I think that our overall talent on offense in improving and I'm glad Bo is getting more time with the defense. For the type of team we are trying to be I would take a healthy Martinez into next year but if we were running a passing offense I would feel different.

The comparison between Zac Lee and Taylor really isn't appropriate. Zac tore his flexor tendon against Arkansas St. and has less effective from there on out. We didn't get a chance to see him play healthy against BCS competition. Taylor wasn't just ineffective aftern his injury. He was absolutely shut down against Texas and SDSU, well before his injury.

:facepalm: at myself for answering this, but....

Lee was also a Junior, in his third year in the program. Marty was a redshirt Freshman who had switched positions mere months before those games.

I think there certainly is something to be said for different levels of experience and comfortability to the offense, but is a tangential issue when I was just talking about the points in the season when each player's respective injuries occurred. Comparing Taylor and Lee's performance against BCS teams isn't altogether fair when we didn't see a healthy Lee against BCS competition. His point of injury coincides with the increase in the difficulty of opponents, which makes it difficult to say which was the bigger factor. We did see a a healthy Taylor against BCS competition and he was both effective and ineffective. I'm not saying he's a finished product by any means, but there are definite causes for concern that extend beyond his injury IMO.

True, and that sucks. Zac deserved better than the hand he was dealt here. Injuries and a freshman phenom derailed the career of a very nice guy - the kind of guy you'd like your daughter to marry. Can't say enough great things about Zac.

The one caveat to what you're saying is... I think Zac was pretty much healthy when we played Arizona. Much to their chagrin. :D

As for Taylor, of course the jury is still out. As zoogies pointed out so sagely early last season (or August, maybe), when we decided to go with a freshman we decided to absorb both the good and the bad a freshman will produce. We saw growing pains with Taylor, definitely: Texas, SDSU, comportment during injury, etc. It's been well-documented. What we don't know is how he'll come back from all of that this year. 2010 was a season that would have been tumultuous for a fifth-year senior. Taylor was thrown to the wolves of the media, message boards and medical staff as a Freshman. Can he get righted and come back from all that? Nobody knows, not his biggest detractors nor his most ardent supporters.

At least we have Carnes. He doesn't seem incapable, from the extremely little we've seen.

Taylor was really not having a great day with Missouri before he got hurt.

Story of his year basically. Opened up the game great, and had a very down second quarter, which in turn saw a very down, dead-drive-filled 2nd quarter for us.

He was 6-9 for 115 yds and a TD, and then got hurt in the very beginning of the 2nd quarter. I'd say those are pretty good stats for 1+ quarters of play.

Very selective about the stats, aren't we? Like I said, he was hot and cold. In quarter 2, he was completely cold. Additionally, he got hurt at the very end of the 2nd quarter.

His rushing numbers on the day: 12 carries, 16 yards. Additionally, 3 sacks for -14 yards. Here's what he did in quarter 2:

2nd and 4 at NEB 38: Taylor Martinez pass incomplete to Kyler Reed.

3rd and 4 at NEB 38: Taylor Martinez sacked by Michael Sam for a loss of 9 yards to the Neb 29.

1st and 10 at NEB 44: Taylor Martinez rush for a 7-yard loss

2nd and 17 at NEB 37: Taylor Martinez incomplete pass to Curenski Gilleylen

3and and 17 at NEB 37: Taylor Martinez sacked by Zaviar Gooden for a 2-yard loss

1st and 18 at NEB 8: Taylor Martinez rush for a 2-yard loss

2nd and 20 at NEB 6: Taylor Martinez rush for 5 yards

3rd and 15 at NEB 11: Taylor Martinez pass in the flat to Roy Helu for 14 yards. Roy gained about all 14 of these after the catch and I remember being shocked he even came close to getting the 1st down.

2nd and 8 at NEB 37: Taylor Martinez rush for 13 yards to the 50 yard line

1st and 10 at NEB 50: Taylor Martinez rush for 5 yards to the Missouri 45

And that was his injury, I believe. The last drive started with 4 minutes to go and ended with 2 minutes to go. Yeah, I'm aware that Taylor had a great first quarter where he found his guys and delivered the ball to them with three deep completions (Paul - 21, Cotton - 22, Reed - 40 & TD). But you must have watched the game and saw how our offense ground to a halt in quarter 2 even as we tried to press on the gas.

Selective in that they were before the injury. On the sack you listed, taylor came to the sidelines limping a bit, and was in obvious pain. The trainers looked at his knee, and then the last play you linked was when he hurt his ankle, and the season went down the crapper. Not trying to cherry pick, just point out the performance difference between healthy and not.

I wasn't aware that Taylor actually hurt himself before that ankle injury. I just listed every play before his injury, which would include the play on which he was injured on the tackle. Which sack was it?

The first one he took in the second quarter:

3rd-4, NEB38 14:26 T. Martinez sacked by M. Sam

He got up a little slow, and went to the sideline where he stopped and bent over and stayed there for a little while. Then he went to the bench and a trainer looked at his knee.

Why bring in a QB that has one year of eligibility, give him the starting reigns, and cripple the development of all of our young QB's. Wilson is good, but he can only play for one year, and will likely not even be that impressive because of his lack of playbook knowledge. In my opinon, we'll set back potential Heisman level production from one of our young quarterbacks for a year, for one year of above average quarterback play that by all indications doesn't fit our new offense

Why bring in a QB that has one year of eligibility, give him the starting reigns, and cripple the development of all of our young QB's. Wilson is good, but he can only play for one year, and will likely not even be that impressive because of his lack of playbook knowledge. In my opinon, we'll set back potential Heisman level production from one of our young quarterbacks for a year, for one year of above average quarterback play that by all indications doesn't fit our new offense

I agree. I hope we continue to watch our defense hold teams to under 10 points while the offense doesn't score. If we have to do that for three more years so that we might have an individual win a Heisman, then so be it. We must not cripple QB development!

I don't get it either. To me it's a crazy idea but par......

I don't get it either. To me it's a crazy idea but par......

It's only crazy if you believe it will somehow cripple the other QB's. What if a guy could come in for one year, be the starting QB, and have all the younger QB's learn from him and get better. That scenario isn't the all gloom and doom of ruining the other QB's and being mediocre on the field, but is instead the sunshine and lollipops version. I'd suspect the reality is somewhere in between.

• Fire 3