Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

The way SI and others pumped that article up, I (and many Buckeye fans) was expecting more. OSU is in damage control mode. I don't believe the article had anything to do with Tressel stepping down. I think a group of people (i.e. Les Wexner) that writes the checks to OSU's athletic department had enough.

I am not saying that anything in the article was right for the players or Tressel to do but in a way I am sort of relieved. Pryor is still an idiot so I am sure something more will come out about him.

I think it's far worse then a lot of people realize. I wouldn't be breathing any sigh of relief if I was an OSU fan. No it didn't have the point shaving rumors or go into greater detail about the cars... (I bet that's still coming, esp if Pryor was flaunting it this weekend)

It's not full of new earth shattering revelations. Instead it shows that it was more systemic then just 5 rogue players with bad judgement and that it went on for years unknown to the coaches and compliance staff (either by willful ignorance or incompetence, neither of which will impress the NCAA). It basically throws out the NCAA's statute of limitations on the violations since the same violations were happening well beyond the statute of limitations. Not to mention it completely discredits OSU's own compliance staff's investigation into players trading memorabilia since it names (nine?) other current players and many ex-players having done the same thing for either tattoos, weed, or cars.

The article, depending on what the NCAA allegations already included and what they knew before, probably escalated the whole thing into a LOIC that could reach as far back as they wanted for punishment. There very well might be another vacated championship in the 2000s because there is almost no doubt that players were playing that had forfeited their own eligibility.

Depending on the feelings around the program after the dust settles and a couple other people are fired *Cough* Smith *Cough* I'd put some money on the 12 to 1 guy.

I would agree with that one. I also see Frickell getting some serious mention as well. That might kind of depend on performance this year though.

The pressure was mounting on Tressel so I think this is good for college football (including Nebraska) that Tressel resigned and tried to save some face. OSU is dirty and I'd like to start fresh with them in our rivalry and hopefully this is a step in right direction. The interim guy is going to get his shot this year and I think if he does well and holds his own, they may just hire him if they believe he is clean in all of this.

I don't see Bo going there...next coach is going to have sanctions, penalties, schollie restrictions to deal with...who wants that?

It should help us recruiting in Ohio as this will definitely cause some guys to want to explore other options.

Lastly, we better beat OSU this year...the one thing about OSU now is nobody is going to expect them to be at top of their game this year going through all of this. We need to beat them this year to grab the mantel in the Big 10.

The pressure was mounting on Tressel so I think this is good for college football (including Nebraska) that Tressel resigned and tried to save some face. OSU is dirty and I'd like to start fresh with them in our rivalry and hopefully this is a step in right direction. The interim guy is going to get his shot this year and I think if he does well and holds his own, they may just hire him if they believe he is clean in all of this.

I don't see Bo going there...next coach is going to have sanctions, penalties, schollie restrictions to deal with...who wants that?

It should help us recruiting in Ohio as this will definitely cause some guys to want to explore other options.

Lastly, we better beat OSU this year...the one thing about OSU now is nobody is going to expect them to be at top of their game this year going through all of this. We need to beat them this year to grab the mantel in the Big 10.

They will also be under a microscope. Any minor infraction may result in a huge bitch slap from the NCAA.

How much will the pending violations hurt OSU in their coaching search? I could easily see some of the high profile guys they might want turn down the job because of it.

I think you have to wait till the sanctions before you can determine that. Keep in mind it wasn't lack of institutional control, so for all we know, we may just have to forfeit the 2010 regular season and that's it.

Also remember Ohio State is a destination school for coaches.

Remember, USC went out and got Kiffin in the midst of all their turmoil.

USC also got lack of institutional control.

Keep in mind, the exact opposite is also possible. This could very well unify the entire team. Obviously, we have to see, but sometimes this has that type of affect instead of the team falling apart.

The way SI and others pumped that article up, I (and many Buckeye fans) was expecting more. OSU is in damage control mode. I don't believe the article had anything to do with Tressel stepping down. I think a group of people (i.e. Les Wexner) that writes the checks to OSU's athletic department had enough.

I am not saying that anything in the article was right for the players or Tressel to do but in a way I am sort of relieved. Pryor is still an idiot so I am sure something more will come out about him.

I think it's far worse then a lot of people realize. I wouldn't be breathing any sigh of relief if I was an OSU fan. No it didn't have the point shaving rumors or go into greater detail about the cars... (I bet that's still coming, esp if Pryor was flaunting it this weekend)

It's not full of new earth shattering revelations. Instead it shows that it was more systemic then just 5 rogue players with bad judgement and that it went on for years unknown to the coaches and compliance staff (either by willful ignorance or incompetence, neither of which will impress the NCAA). It basically throws out the NCAA's statute of limitations on the violations since the same violations were happening well beyond the statute of limitations. Not to mention it completely discredits OSU's own compliance staff's investigation into players trading memorabilia since it names (nine?) other current players and many ex-players having done the same thing for either tattoos, weed, or cars.

The article, depending on what the NCAA allegations already included and what they knew before, probably escalated the whole thing into a LOIC that could reach as far back as they wanted for punishment. There very well might be another vacated championship in the 2000s because there is almost no doubt that players were playing that had forfeited their own eligibility.

There are a lot of accusations about what happened and what the author thought Tressel SHOULD HAVE KNOWN about. The school could not investigate at the level SI was able to and nor should they be able to. Would you like for Nebraska to take the word of known criminals and disgruntled ex-players and then turn over their findings to the NCAA? Also, the stuff about Youngstown State is not as cut and dry as the article likes to lead on about. At least that is what I hear from people in Youngstown.

This is a black eye for the conference, there is no getting around that.

Yet, somehow...I look south and I know the SEC is ####### filthy, so, whatever.

It makes me nervous seeing Tressel resign. Pelini is a viable candidate for the job. I hope my anxiety goes unfounded and he stays here a long time. (Feel free to call Bo every Saturday morning to say the following, Harvey.)

There are a lot of accusations about what happened and what the author thought Tressel SHOULD HAVE KNOWN about. The school could not investigate at the level SI was able to and nor should they be able to. Would you like for Nebraska to take the word of known criminals and disgruntled ex-players and then turn over their findings to the NCAA? Also, the stuff about Youngstown State is not as cut and dry as the article likes to lead on about. At least that is what I hear from people in Youngstown.

SI had no access to the players, the people who actually did this stuff. tOSU does. How can you possibly make that claim in bold?