What unsung Husker will emerge in fall camp?

That's not really a good argument. Anyone else who isn't recruited by any other good teams would be walking on and proving themselves worthy of a scholarship, not handed one from the start.

Why is finding out later that they did indeed deserve a scholarship a bad argument? So there's no way for them to prove they deserved the scholarships they got then? You're basically saying that NU shouldn't have offered a schollie even if they were good enough to deserve one. Now that's not a good argument. If this were any other player, we'd be talking about how good the coaches are at spotting "diamonds in the rough" or "developing the talent".

Not saying that at all, actually. I'm saying that it's quite possible they got scholarships because they're Cotton's son, and that any other kids with their talent/potential would have had to walk on and prove themselves. There's obviously no way to ever know that, though.

Not saying that at all, actually. I'm saying that it's quite possible they got scholarships because they're Cotton's son, and that any other kids with their talent/potential would have had to walk on and prove themselves. There's obviously no way to ever know that, though.

Ok, I see what you're saying now. But, as you say, there's no way to ever know.

Do you understand that the cottons can basically get near free schooling because their father is an employee of the university? If I remember right they are pretty smart as well. He is saying if the kids are committed to coming here, then save a scholarship for another recruit. That's why he's saying we should not have offered.

Free school has been bandied about quite a bit, but I'm not convinced the NCAA would allow that to happen since it's quite obviously a recruiting advantage. And shouldn't this "he's a Nebraska kid" have applied to Baker Steinkuhler and Niles Paul? And if an ISU, KSU, or Ohio comes along and offers after NU slow-plays him, what if he goes elsewhere? But you're still ignoring the basic question: if they all pull their weight, then does that should show they deserved the schollie?

My argument is that they wouldn't have been offered scholorships by NU if they weren't Barney's sons and I won't be convinced otherwise. Having said that, they may prove to be worthy of the schollies, but I would have preferred that they walk on and if they proved themselves than award them with schollies.

In his second year, Jake has already made a push for the two deep and there's no way anybody can say Ben Cotton was not worth the offer. They may not be 5 star pick ups but both have proved worthy of scholarships in my eyes. I'm happy there was another Cotton to offer

Do you understand that the cottons can basically get near free schooling because their father is an employee of the university? If I remember right they are pretty smart as well. He is saying if the kids are committed to coming here, then save a scholarship for another recruit. That's why he's saying we should not have offered.

Free school has been bandied about quite a bit, but I'm not convinced the NCAA would allow that to happen since it's quite obviously a recruiting advantage. And shouldn't this "he's a Nebraska kid" have applied to Baker Steinkuhler and Niles Paul? And if an ISU, KSU, or Ohio comes along and offers after NU slow-plays him, what if he goes elsewhere? But you're still ignoring the basic question: if they all pull their weight, then does that should show they deserved the schollie?

Not too mention that they wouldn't get free school. Only one of the students could get the benefit at a time, and I think it is half tuition but I cannot remember the exact details. This has been proven to be an uninformed opinion on this matter on this very board by several that know how the children of employees thing works.

However, true to form in this day and age, we read and digest only what we want to instead of the facts presented to us.

Thank you FoxNews and MSNBC for our ability to believe when any talking head (or in this case a rumor) spews their opinion as fact before matching it against cold hard facts...

My argument is that they wouldn't have been offered scholorships by NU if they weren't Barney's sons and I won't be convinced otherwise. Having said that, they may prove to be worthy of the schollies, but I would have preferred that they walk on and if they proved themselves than award them with schollies.

Well you'd probably be wrong then. Ben was a 4* TE. Jake and Sam weren't evaluated by most of the recruiting services because it was a known they were going to NU. I've heard many say that they expect Jake to be on the 2 deep. Sam will RS.

Well you'd probably be wrong then. Ben was a 4* TE. Jake and Sam weren't evaluated by most of the recruiting services because it was a known they were going to NU. I've heard many say that they expect Jake to be on the 2 deep. Sam will RS.

Whoa, wait a second. Did you just say that Ben was a 4star recruit? Every recruiting service I saw had him at a low 3star. Don't think it's a big deal, but if you saw him listed as a 4star somewhere I'd sure like to see proof of that.

• Fire 1

I think the position change is going to benefit Eric Martin and he's going to be a beast coming off the edge. The only problem I can see would be the number of roughing the passer penalties he'll likely get called for. My over/under is 3.

Per game? Sounds about right.

I absolutely meant per game. Funny, but I always seem to lose my train of thought when I read one of your posts.

Ben had several BCS-offers and decommitted from a quality program to come here. To say that he couldn't have gotten an offer if he wasn't a Cotton and should've walked-on is just ridiculous. He played significant reps as a frosh and started as a soph, I'd say he's proven he was worth a schollie.

Jake was a strange case, looked like a walk-on his junior-year. Then had a flat-out freakish growth-spurt that radically changed how he projected to the next level. The kid will be in the two-deep as a frosh and may start. Those in the know said all along the kid would be good and he's proving them right. Again, I'd say he's proving he was worth a schollie.

Remains to be seen what Sam does but thus-far the Cotton offers have been solid.

Whoa, wait a second. Did you just say that Ben was a 4star recruit? Every recruiting service I saw had him at a low 3star. Don't think it's a big deal, but if you saw him listed as a 4star somewhere I'd sure like to see proof of that.

High 3* (5.7) on Rivals. #25 TE

Mid 3* (77) on ESPN. #30 TE

3* on Scout. #21 TE

If anyone wants to judge Ben Cotton - first go through and evaluate the top 30 Rivals 2008 TE recruits. Ultimately that's what you should be judging his recruitment by correct? The top 16 were 4* or better, my guess is that after 2 years he's had a better career than all but a handful of the top 30. With 2 years left, he and Reed could end up being the most dominant tight end tandem this school has ever seen.

Another way to look at it is, can anyone name situations where Cotton has failed in his job? Dropped passes, missed blocks, etc? I remember that his blocking was a key component on all three of Helu's long TD runs in the Missouri game alone, including Roy's first touch (our first play from scrimmage) where Cotton knocked one of the Mizzou DEs ass-over-teakettle to spring Roy.

Reed gets a lot of the publicity due to his speed and "glamour" position of catching passes, while Cotton mostly does the grunt work on the line, with the occasional catch. Together they're a heck of a tandem, and I am very pleased with Cotton's performance so far. I don't know or care how many stars he got from Rivals or Scout - both services seem pretty hit-and-miss to me, and I don't trust them to gauge talent.

He was a 4* on Scout, and one of the top TE's in the country, before committing to Nebraska. I believe he was a top 20 TE on rivals. After he did, he was "re-evaluated" and had his ranking lowered. There was a huge stink about it. It's no secret that recruiting services raise and lower recruits rankings based on who they get offers from, and who commit to. It's really bad with Notre Dame.