Am I missing something? (Washington Game)

I think we will win and I would put money on it, but weren't we saying the same thing about Iowa State last year. We were laughing at them for thinking they could beat us again after our 8? turnover game. I know they didn't end up beating us, but they were one well executed play away from doing it, and I think Washington has a better team. Let's not get too arrogant to believe that there isn't a chance we could lose.

You mean the ISU game where we didn't have a QB on the roster that could play after our 3rd string QB got a concussion and was unable to go back in? The ISU game where we won by running the same 3 plays over and over with Rex Burkhead out of the wildcat half the game? That ISU game?

So yeah, I guess sure.. if Martinez and Carnes and whoever the 3rd stringer ends up being this year are all knocked out of the game against Washington and we have to play a halfback at QB than sure there's a chance we could lose.

• Fire 1

I think we will win and I would put money on it, but weren't we saying the same thing about Iowa State last year. We were laughing at them for thinking they could beat us again after our 8? turnover game. I know they didn't end up beating us, but they were one well executed play away from doing it, and I think Washington has a better team. Let's not get too arrogant to believe that there isn't a chance we could lose.

You mean the ISU game where we didn't have a QB on the roster that could play after our 3rd string QB got a concussion and was unable to go back in? The ISU game where we won by running the same 3 plays over and over with Rex Burkhead out of the wildcat half the game? That ISU game?

I think he means the ISU game where we had a chance to wrap it up, except that our WR/KR decided to bring the ball out of the end zone on a boneheaded play, got popped, fumbled, and gave ISU the ball at our 14 for the tying TD.

We were a better team last year, and by nearly all accounts should be the better team this year. But this "we will win, it's in the bag, etc" talk is what gets our players heads so far up their a$$es that they don't show up. As reassuring as the "we didn't want to be there" excuse is for the holiday, we circles coached around us by Sarkisian and Holt last year. It's a good staff, and I expect them to make moves similar to us in Bo's early years. I'm worried because it's early in the season, and if anything we'll underestimate them. Again.

Steve Sarkisian may be a good offensive coordinator, but he isn't the motivator that Paul Rhoads has been for that ISU team. He could be doing some good things there in the near future.

With all due respect, how do you know that?

I don't "know" it. But we saw what Rhoads did for ISU two years in a row against us.

I think Bo will win the motivation battle this game against Washington, easily.

And Autzen is 1000x harder of a venue for a traveling team to play. Especially for a young QB making his first start. Makes Memorial seem like bingo night at the Senior Center, oh wait that is pretty apt for the North Stadium

You mean the North Stadium that caused a false start by a Missouri lineman during the third-quarter goal-line stand last year? I seem to remember walking out of most games hoarse as hell.

No, he means the sucky North Stadium that caused the Missouri QB to lose count of how many time outs he used and tried to use a 4th (which he got away without a penalty for).

2011 is the year when the Nebraska offense rebounds and truly begins to construct its new, more physical identity. While the offense will evolve and become far more polished over the coming years (hopefully once again in annual contention for the scoring title), I believe that this year's offense will be good enough hang 28 on any opponent on their schedule. With the Blackshirts to rely upon, that's going to be good enough--and it's going to be plenty good enough to bury an inferior team that embarrassed us in last season's bowl. We win this one going away.

No turnovers and we'll be fine. Don't know much about Price but Lincoln will be an environment that he won't be used to under center, so we'll see how it goes. One more thing, we must wrap up and gang tackle Polk. I know he's a good runner but I can't recall how many times he slipped through arm tackles in the bowl game and boy was it frustrating!

If we simply stated that we could get beaten in every game, what would we talk about? There are certain givens in these conversations, and one of them is that we can lose any game we play. It doesn't have to be brought up like everyone's missing some crucial thing.

Every single thread about every single game could be, "We might win but we could lose, because on any given Saturday...."

What would the point of talking football be if every thread was like that?

I don't disagree with this at all, but in understanding these 'givens' in conversation, we also need to remember to keep an eye out for the same thing in opposing teams' fans and commentators discussion. A lot of times we all have a double standard where we forget that they're talking the same way that we are and we shouldn't be so shocked when other teams talk about beating us or whatever.

And Autzen is 1000x harder of a venue for a traveling team to play. Especially for a young QB making his first start. Makes Memorial seem like bingo night at the Senior Center, oh wait that is pretty apt for the North Stadium

You mean the North Stadium that caused a false start by a Missouri lineman during the third-quarter goal-line stand last year? I seem to remember walking out of most games hoarse as hell.

You must sit in a different North Stadium than I sit in. ;)

I'm not saying North Stadium wasn't loud at the time of the penalty, but there are reasons for a false start other than crowd noise, such as forgetting the count, anticipating the snap or reacting to defensive movement. If it were just crowd noise, home teams would never have a false start. I've sat in North Stadium a handful of times and have walked away every time kicking myself for seating anywhere other than the Southeast corner.