The Dream Diamond Formation

Ziggy

Everyone knows the diamond formation from last year ran by Oklahoma and Oke State. Think about the Huskers running it this year with Tmart at QB, Rex at HB, JTurner at a wing position and one of the freshman RB's/Legate/Carnes at the other position. The speed that would come out of that back field would be crazy, not to mention 3-4 players that can throw, it would allow for the option of run or pass during any given play. I know its a pipe dream but if I was a DC I would crap my pants the first time or every time NU lined up that way.

Everyone knows the diamond formation from last year ran by Oklahoma and Oke State. Think about the Huskers running it this year with Tmart at QB, Rex at HB, JTurner at a wing position and one of the freshman RB's/Legate/Carnes at the other position. The speed that would come out of that back field would be crazy, not to mention 3-4 players that can throw, it would allow for the option of run or pass during any given play. I know its a pipe dream but if I was a DC I would crap my pants the first time or every time NU lined up that way.

If run correctly, that would be a wicked offense given that kind of speed and the number of things you could do. I have a feeling that the year of Brion red shirting has done wonders for him like it did for T-Magic. I think a traditional power-I with Turner and Carnes lined up at receiver could be crazy, too. Obviously we wouldn't line up that way all the time but it could give defenses fits since they may not have studied much film on those two...

Would be neat to see and I agree it would put alot of weapons on the field. I don't think the Big 10 would be ready for an offense like that. I know teams like Iowa do well against the "line it up, and run it" offenses, but they don't do well against the spread. This is coming directly from their fans, they are concerned on some level about what offense we will run.

Diamond would be amazing. Simply a great way to put a lot of talent on the field. I want our WRs to get better and think that it's vital that they do, but our RBs are much better than our WRs right now, and if we use this formation properly, we have the chance to put a lot of talent on the field at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I hate when old threads get brought back...I was about half of a sentence into "We already run this formation....." when I realized it was posted in August. Fail.

Regardless, I'm glad we have this formation now as well. It gives defenses a lot to think about. Okie Lite ran it well against us last year, and we've already seen this year that it can be devastating to opposing defenses. We scored a touchdown pass to Enunwa off of it against tOSU and I think Martinez might have even run in the first touchdown out of it, but I can't remember for sure.

I am a huge fan of the Diamond formation. Love the opportunities for mis-direction and play-action that the formation presents. IMO, I would like NU to use this formation as much as the I. From a personnel standpoint, the Diamond works best with speed and blockers. I'd say have TMart at QB, Rex at RB, and a combination of the 3 freshman RBs and Legate in the last spot in the backfield. Keep Bell/Turner at one spot out wide and Enunwa in the other.