So.... when do we see the Blackshirts handed out?

Holding the Blackshirts out is BS. The fact that this team doesn't have their Blackshirts is as much the fault of the coaches as anyone else. You cannot tell me that it's possible that Bo recruited these players, has trained these players in his system for two/three/four years, and they are flat not good enough:

P.J. Smith – four years in the system, not even starting

Ciante Evans - two years in the system, started as a Freshman

Courtney Osborne - four years in the system, not even starting

Austin Cassidy – four years in the system, making many errors

Andrew Green – third year in the system, responsible for about half of all TDs caught against NU

Lance Thorell – four years in the system, making many errors

This is just a quick run-through of the secondary. Go through the D Line, go through the linebackers, it's the same thing. Bo has been here too long for the former regime to be at fault. These are his guys, his schemes, his coaches. You cannot blame this on Raymond, you cannot blame this on Els. If they are at fault, Bo is at fault more for bringing them in.

If Bo is holding these guys to some benchmark that they have not earned, then he has not given them the tools to earn it, and withholding the Blackshirts is a completely BS motivational tool. It all rests on Bo. If the players aren't good enough, then he failed somewhere, not them.

This. The best defensive players we've had since Bo's been here were brought in before he got here with the exception of David and he was a JuCo player. It would be one thing if these guys were getting beat because they're athletically inferior to the teams we play. However, I do not see this as being the case. They just are never where they need to be.

The only thing that i will disagree with on Knapplc's post is though all of these players have been in the system for awhile and have been doing it day after day in practice, they don't have all that much game experience. A few have started games here and there but they have never been given enough of a chance to get comfortable. I feel as if the players have the mentality of thinking too much about not making mistakes so they don't lose their starting job instead of knowing the staff is confident in them to allow them to just go play. Bo has even said it that he thinks there is a possibility of "over coaching". These kids are out there thinking on every single play about what they have to do on this play to not lose their job. They need to be out there trusting the techniques and using their instincts that the staff has instilled in them but they don't feel comfortable enough. It's like the O'Hanlon situation, we all didn't think he was the right man for the job, but after he gained experience and knew that he was the man, he was able to settle down, get comfortable with what he was doing, and trust his techniques and instincts and he turned out to be a more than serviceable safety for us.

You give out the Blackshirts when that defense takes the field, you throw the bones, and get shivers up your back because you know what kind of force they are. Not when you throw the bones and get sick to your stomach wondering how many yards the other team will gain per snap.

IMO

Could all of you passing Blackshirts experts please upload videos of yourselves demonstrating the perfect footwork and throwing motion required to hit our WR's right in the hands, just to have them drop it defensive techniques?

Thanks in advance

See what I did there?

Why do you say people can't complain about the quarterback unless they can throw a perfect pass, but then you complain about the defense? It's a message board. People get to talk about the quarterback without being able to play the position. Right?

Oh snap. He's got you there :box

It depends on the players. I would rather never see one given out again than have them given out when not earned. Not even for one game.

They've got to show it on the field. For at least 4 quarters. They haven't done that yet. Pure and simple. You want free trophies go play pop warner. I hold the Black Shirt in that high of regard. So should you. Bo does.

• 4 weeks later...