The Players Get It

knapplc

Even A 33-Point Victory Can Be An Ugly Win, And It Was

Written on September 5, 2011 by Bugeater in Husker Football

NU’s Media Relations department was able to put together a nice highlight reel from Saturday’s opener, but it doesn’t tell the whole story of Nebraska’s 40-7 victory over Tennessee Chattanooga.

Brian Christopherson of Lincoln Journal Star reports that the players didn’t like what they saw on film.

“I know we all watched (the film) Sunday together, and we all went out to eat after and we were all just mad,” said left tackle Yoshi Hardrick of the O-line. “I think the biggest jump we have to make is from week one to week two and I think we all know that.”

Despite winning by 33 points, senior wide receiver Brandon Kinnie said it was one of those performances that makes a player feel a bit empty.

“We won, but it just felt like it wasn’t a great win,” Kinnie said.

Even A 33-Point Victory Can Be An Ugly Win, And It Was

Written on September 5, 2011 by Bugeater in Husker Football

NU’s Media Relations department was able to put together a nice highlight reel from Saturday’s opener, but it doesn’t tell the whole story of Nebraska’s 40-7 victory over Tennessee Chattanooga.

Brian Christopherson of Lincoln Journal Star reports that the players didn’t like what they saw on film.

“I know we all watched (the film) Sunday together, and we all went out to eat after and we were all just mad,” said left tackle Yoshi Hardrick of the O-line. “I think the biggest jump we have to make is from week one to week two and I think we all know that.”

Despite winning by 33 points, senior wide receiver Brandon Kinnie said it was one of those performances that makes a player feel a bit empty.

“We won, but it just felt like it wasn’t a great win,” Kinnie said.

That's how I felt after the game. They DO get it! I hope that passion/anger translates into some passionate playing on Saturday! GO B1G RED!

I hope it carries over as well, however we have seen that desire isn't always everything (Texas game 2010). Furthermore, this team was supposed to be angry about losing three of four to end the season and losing two consecutive Big 12 title games. I don't think this team really needs more motivation.

There are probably over a million of us out here who are growing very tired of hearing how they "get it." Take your skirts off and DO it, or get someone in that can. Christ almighty, what is up with the hands of stone in the receiving corp and the "Cottony-soft" o-line every year? Our o-line and receivers are becoming an absolute, annual embarrassment. This is Year Four, Bo. We're expecting competence on BOTH sides of the ball. If you chose to piddle away 3 years by keeping most of your focus on one side of the ball, that one is on you. Show us that you're more than an overpaid defensive coordinator and give us 2.775 million reasons why you're our head coach. Regardless of what any of the Husker youngsters think on this forum, you can pick any decade of Osborne or Solich's o-lines and even the freaking reserves would have absolutely flattened UTC--whether we played them the first game of the year or not. There are no excuses anymore. With this level of effort, there aren't even 3 games to get it together. The clock is ticking.

I was far away from tv or cell service this weekend, and I can see that I didn't miss much. Congrats to the lights out performance of the kicking unit. It appears that your services will be required quite often this year. End rant.

I'm still a little awestruck at how badly and how fast people are piling on like we just witnessed the entire 2007 season in one game. For my part, I look at the non conference schedule as a unit, a whole that is judged. I see no possible way to make a fair assessment about the season or the offense when your only measuring stick is a blowout win against an overmatched opponent, especially when you have two coaches and several players on record as saying they weren't running the offense so much as practicing plays. Translation: we saw a relatively lousy day at practice.

Now if we're staggering out of a ten point win over Wyoming having dropped one to Washington at home, by all means I'll be belly flopping on the panic button. How people are doing it already after watching such a predictably imperfect opener is just beyond me. I've heard some real lunacy thrown out there.

Our offense is not going to carry the team this year any more than it carried it last year. We're too young, too inexperienced. The job of the offense this year is to not implode and make us rely solely on our defense. Its job is to progress to the point where it can score upwards of twenty points a game (an easier task than I thought with Maher breaking out).

• Fire 5

I'm still a little awestruck at how badly and how fast people are piling on like we just witnessed the entire 2007 season in one game. For my part, I look at the non conference schedule as a unit, a whole that is judged. I see no possible way to make a fair assessment about the season or the offense when your only measuring stick is a blowout win against an overmatched opponent, especially when you have two coaches and several players on record as saying they weren't running the offense so much as practicing plays. Translation: we saw a relatively lousy day at practice.

Now if we're staggering out of a ten point win over Wyoming having dropped one to Washington at home, by all means I'll be belly flopping on the panic button. How people are doing it already after watching such a predictably imperfect opener is just beyond me. I've heard some real lunacy thrown out there.

Our offense is not going to carry the team this year any more than it carried it last year. We're too young, too inexperienced. The job of the offense this year is to not implode and make us rely solely on our defense. Its job is to progress to the point where it can score upwards of twenty points a game (an easier task than I thought with Maher breaking out).

I agree with most of your post. I would also add the number of players who got their first start as a husker, rookies make mistakes. The husker will have a good week of practice and work on eliminating the mistakes made this week. I hope the lack of penalties against the O line continue ,this was a big improvement from last year. Looking forward to this weeks game

I'm still a little awestruck at how badly and how fast people are piling on like we just witnessed the entire 2007 season in one game.

Amen! This is weird. We won the game. We won by 4.5 touchdowns. There was never a single moment in that game where the outcome was in doubt. We clearly and obviously played a very vanilla game on both sides of the ball (with a couple of blitzes and a Burkhead pass attempt thrown in). Yet despite this, people are almost in mourning.

It makes no sense.

I'm still a little awestruck at how badly and how fast people are piling on like we just witnessed the entire 2007 season in one game.

Amen! This is weird. We won the game. We won by 4.5 touchdowns. There was never a single moment in that game where the outcome was in doubt. We clearly and obviously played a very vanilla game on both sides of the ball (with a couple of blitzes and a Burkhead pass attempt thrown in). Yet despite this, people are almost in mourning.

It makes no sense.

Agreed.

At least they see the need to improve...It's hard for them to "prove it" right now. We have to wait until next Saturday, and even then, it's a completely new game with a whole new set of circumstances. I thought it was ugly, too, but it's not like they are saying this offense is a world-beater. They said they need to improve-a lot. Good enough for me right now.

It makes no sense.

How do you score .5 touchdowns???

Anyways, I digress.

You guys have to realize, after 3 years of the "Jekyll and Hyde" offense, people are a bit snake bit.

Both sides of the aisle have to chill out on this. Once they are able to establish continuity and maintain a flow, then things will improve.