2 things i haven't seen talked about

I am I

It seems like we are a very well conditioned team. Our best play came in the 4th quarter when it counted. Our defenders were really running to the ball late in the game even though they had been pounding it at us. We ran well with their receivers late in the game and were getting some pressure from our front 4, even though we had done a lot of chasing due to the fact that they were rolling the pocket.

Our offense obviously pounded it out at the end. Rex played a lot of snaps and still has gas in the tank to grind it and even make some people miss. Our o-line (as crappy as they looked at times) were finally getting a good push around half way through the 4th quarter, which tells me that their guys were tired and ours weren't.

If we're going to be in dogfights this year, it helps that we have great conditioning and can keep up the attack.

Next, boy oh boy were we out-coached tonight. I thought maybe FS was running some things we hadn't prepared for and eventually we would make some adjustment and start to get defenders in the gaps on those zone blocking schemes. Especially with the speed of David, they should've been knifing him off the backside. They pretty much ran that play at will tonight. Also, was it just me or did they seem to run the same 3-4 plays the ENTIRE 1st half and we pretty much had zero adjustment to shut them down.

play 1: sprint zone

play 2: slot or RB in the flat against Compton

play 3: play action roll with WR running at sideline route 11-14 yds downfield

play 4: quick 3 step drop, find hot route over middle

It just seems like they did these over and over and over and we had no ideaas to stop them. granted after half-time, we started to get play 2 and 3 shut down better, thankfully, but they showed definitely they had found a few weaknesses on film and they really out gameplanned us and executed a few things very well.

One final thing of note i'd like to see out of our offense is I don't understand why WE don't really roll Martinez out on some playaction boot or even some naked boot? give him a real run pass option and get the pressure off the O-line, especially cuz martinez isn't a great pocket passer. We ran a screen or 2 i believe, but why not have a quick hitting reverse or change of direction early in the game to keep people from lining up against our young Oline and just tee off? Anyway, I really like the fact that we fought off a scrappy FS team and polished them off by controlling the clock.

I'll take a slow start to the season and improve every week over a quick start that makes us think we're better than we really are.

I listened to Carl's post-game and he said Fresno did a bunch of things offensively that we had not seen on tape nor prepared for. The adjustments at halftime seemed to help, but we still looked out of sorts on defense.

We did run one rollout with Taylor inside the 5-yardline (went for a TD) but it was negated by off-setting penalties. We definitely need to see more of that.

the only thing i dont like about rolling Taylor out is it eliminates one whole side of the field that you cant throw to. The other reason i am not a huge fan is i dont believe Taylor can really throw on the run. If the coaches would have taken time over the last couple of years to fix his throwing motion and foot work i think rolling him out would be deadly.

i'll agree with this to some extent but that's why i mentioned having a play or two that counters back to the other side to keep the D honest. also, he may not be able to throw well on the run, but he has jets that he can fly on which balances out his poor throwing, all the while not taking sacks as he just stands in the collapsing pocket. imagine completing 2-3 passes a game to a streaking TE or a fullback in the flat, then later when the D gets sucked up, he pump fakes deep and just takes off.

Or, worse case, takes a 1-2 yd gain and just gets out of bounds. Rolling the pocket acutally opens up more of what he is good at IMO

Wasn't Martinez' interception also off of a roll-out?

It's a somewhat silly excuse, but I think our defense just got drained by a lot of playing time yesterday. Fresno St. had the ball for something like 37 minutes last night - putting up 81 plays. In the second half, our defense couldn't stop them on a long drive, and then instead of the offense taking over, Abdullah took the ball 100 yards for a touchdown. Defense has to trot back onto the field.

The defense played terrible yesterday and is not acceptable from a Nebraska stand point. But I thought we defended the run much better in the first half than we did in the second, and I think we got worse at it because of how long we were on the field. The T.O.P. says a lot. After the third quarter, Fresno had the ball from 15:00 to 10:17, 8:14 to 5:20, 1:56 to 13:59, 12:52 to 12:06, 11:43 to 5:24 and then one final short possession to end the game.

Now, as I said, it's a silly excuse, because it's the defenses fault that they couldn't stop Fresno St. and get themselves off the field. But Nebraska's inability to execute on defense led to their own demise from a T.O.P. stand point as well.

I listened to Carl's post-game and he said Fresno did a bunch of things offensively that we had not seen on tape nor prepared for. The adjustments at halftime seemed to help, but we still looked out of sorts on defense.

We did run one rollout with Taylor inside the 5-yardline (went for a TD) but it was negated by off-setting penalties. We definitely need to see more of that.

This! I listened to Carl's post game too. Rolling out the QB was a great game plan by Fresno State. Really took away our pressure and our DB's were giving way too much cushion in the first half.

The running right at us is what has me concerned.

Not quite the same as rolling out Tmart but has anyone noticed that he seems to scramble to the side that makes it hardest for him to throw the ball? Is it bc/ of where the pressure comes from or is he just making a weird break?

One final thing of note i'd like to see out of our offense is I don't understand why WE don't really roll Martinez out on some playaction boot or even some naked boot? give him a real run pass option and get the pressure off the O-line, especially cuz martinez isn't a great pocket passer. We ran a screen or 2 i believe, but why not have a quick hitting reverse or change of direction early in the game to keep people from lining up against our young Oline and just tee off? Anyway, I really like the fact that we fought off a scrappy FS team and polished them off by controlling the clock.

This is largely the same point, and I'm curious about this as well. It seems to me that we are still holding some things back. It's almost like we made a conscious effort not to throw the ball to Reed - he had one catch last week and was absent early against Fresno. Then when the Bulldogs were shutting down our vanilla game, we opened up the playbook and started showing some things, and the offense got going.

The other reason i am not a huge fan is i dont believe Taylor can really throw on the run. If the coaches would have taken time over the last couple of years to fix his throwing motion and foot work i think rolling him out would be deadly.

This is a common belief on this board and I can't figure out why. Taylor has rolled out several times over the last year-plus and he's been reasonably accurate doing it. :dunno

The other reason i am not a huge fan is i dont believe Taylor can really throw on the run. If the coaches would have taken time over the last couple of years to fix his throwing motion and foot work i think rolling him out would be deadly.

This is a common belief on this board and I can't figure out why. Taylor has rolled out several times over the last year-plus and he's been reasonably accurate doing it. :dunno

I am not necessarily in agreement. I think he has had mixed results. It depends which direction he is rolling and if he has his shoulders square to the LOS and what foot he is throwing off of.

I am not necessarily in agreement. I think he has had mixed results. It depends which direction he is rolling and if he has his shoulders square to the LOS and what foot he is throwing off of.

Can't that be said of all QBs?

The thing is Taylor can throw the ball just as crappy with his shoulders square to the line on a rollout as he does in the pocket.

My theory with the rollouts is that they give Taylor two simple reads in the same line of sight(one shallow to mediate and one mediate to deep) which is simplifying Taylor's reads which he needs help with. Also it easily opens the run threat for him. Just as long as he doesn't take off so quick that he doesn't give the receivers a chance with their routes(something else Taylor has a tendency to do).

It seems like we are a very well conditioned team. Our best play came in the 4th quarter when it counted. Our defenders were really running to the ball late in the game even though they had been pounding it at us. We ran well with their receivers late in the game and were getting some pressure from our front 4, even though we had done a lot of chasing due to the fact that they were rolling the pocket.

Our offense obviously pounded it out at the end. Rex played a lot of snaps and still has gas in the tank to grind it and even make some people miss. Our o-line (as crappy as they looked at times) were finally getting a good push around half way through the 4th quarter, which tells me that their guys were tired and ours weren't.

If we're going to be in dogfights this year, it helps that we have great conditioning and can keep up the attack.

Next, boy oh boy were we out-coached tonight. I thought maybe FS was running some things we hadn't prepared for and eventually we would make some adjustment and start to get defenders in the gaps on those zone blocking schemes. Especially with the speed of David, they should've been knifing him off the backside. They pretty much ran that play at will tonight. Also, was it just me or did they seem to run the same 3-4 plays the ENTIRE 1st half and we pretty much had zero adjustment to shut them down.

It just seems like they did these over and over and over and we had no ideaas to stop them. granted after half-time, we started to get play 2 and 3 shut down better, thankfully, but they showed definitely they had found a few weaknesses on film and they really out gameplanned us and executed a few things very well.

I'll take a slow start to the season and improve every week over a quick start that makes us think we're better than we really are.

Rewatching the game and I'm also noticing the DE were not keeping containment on Carr on his rollouts. Something I think Bo will correct.

There's a lot being overlooked here in both halves--delayed handoffs, multiple-look offenses (including the Wildcat), and misdirection was killing us all night.

QB rollouts and 3 step drops are textbook ways to nullify our defense's advantages. We have been able to overcome this by having a fundamentally and assignment-sound secondary. We did not have this last night.

And folks, let's not forget--Pat Hill is a *very* good coach. By all rights, he should be coaching at a BCS school, but he chooses to stay at Fresno to build something special there. Were Hill at a, say, Tennessee, Illinois, or Texas (schools that have been underachieving relative to their recruiting base), he would rip things apart.

This right here. I watched Fresno protect their young oline by rolling their qb out and using a lot of counter plays. We need to use more misdirection and quick hit to losen up teams early. I see so many teams look awesome on their first drive because they come out with a plan to expose the weaknesses of the other team. We do this on D a lot but the O for years seems to be just line up and do what we do...

I and I, Ira Matt, I think you guys see what I saw last and what I'm seeing right now on DVR, a lot of things done by Fresno to negate our D's strengths. Not a lot you can do when a team doesn't have the ball long after the snap. Also when you have QB capable of making all the throws and receivers getting deep (first or second play of the game), you can't sit on anything in mid to short passing situations or their runs. With that being said, our D didn't play disciplined assignment football and we paid for it. I agree what you guys about our O.