Hate to say it but......

C N Red

I read the first few posts. None after that. Didnt want to take the time to do so. I just want to ask a question to the OP who seems to be so negative about the Wis game. Read this and think about it before you answer. How has Wisconsin looked so much more impressive agains FAR less competition. Seriously. Look at who they have played compared to us. Look at their score compared to ours. Look at how they have won compared to us considering the opponents. I promise you this. Wisconsin is just as nervous about this game as we are. It is their first test. We have had two games that we've had to play well into the 4th qtr, they arent. Now the national perception all this week going in is that all a sudden Russel Wilson has their offense as some sort of juggernaut and with our defense still growing, most will say we dotn have a chance. That's when Pelinis are at their best. I have all the confidence in the world.

The only chance i see we have against wisconsin is if behind closed doors and zipped lips, is if we have secretly been game planning all year for the wiscy game. The only way i see us win is if weve just been running patty cake plays and schemes the first 4 games knowing we could win with not showing much and scouting very little for the first four teams.

But, unfortunately i dont think its the case. B/c even if thats the case i still dont see our defense being good enough to keep us in the game and martinez cannot make enough passes. He missed some really easy passes to open wrs tonight and really all year. I hate being like this but i just cant see it.

Same song, verse #4 for Huskerboard. It's like clockwork. After the UTC game: gonna be a long season. After the Fresno game: gonna be a long season. After the UW game: gonna be a long season. And now after the Wyoming game: gonna be a long season. We beat Wisconsin: gonna be a long season.

WHEN DOES IT END?

I think defense shows up against Wisconsin. I just think Bo was playing soft, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But let's wait until we get an actual opponent to claim how long the season's going to be.

we're deep alright, in deep sh#t. we have no chance against Wisky or Michigan either one.......no one is scared of our defense, except us!

someone willing to call it like it really is. I hope your wrong...but I think you right based n what I have seen date.

And there it is. The doom and gloomers are realists, and the optimists are sunshine pumpers. Awesome.

We lost Gomes, Hagg, Amukamara, Allen... it is Dennard's first game back...

I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting

You don't seem to understand one thing: yes, the db's are inexperienced and not playing perfect, BUT that means that they are NOT VERY GOOD. Just because they have a decent excuse to be bad, doesn't mean being bad is nothing to worry about. Yes they're young, yes they make mistakes, and YES they are giving up points. Defenses aren't suppose to give up points, no matter how old they are or aren't. You are underreacting.

So, then our 2008 defense consisting of Ndamukong Suh, Prince Amukamara, Phillip Dillard, Larry Asante, Eric Hagg, Matt O'Hanlon, and Larry Asante was full of terrible players? Because they got lit up by a bunch of teams.

Excellent logic.

we're deep alright, in deep sh#t. we have no chance against Wisky or Michigan either one.......no one is scared of our defense, except us!

someone willing to call it like it really is. I hope your wrong...but I think you right based n what I have seen date.

And there it is. The doom and gloomers are realists, and the optimists are sunshine pumpers. Awesome.

Wow, Michigan?!?! Have you even watched more than the ND game they played, and keep in mind that ND is an average team at best? They had issues stopping Eastern Michigan and every other team they played. They were lucky yesterday to only give up 7 to SDSU, and that was only because SDSU shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Had no issue moving the ball on the Michigan D all day.

While Nebraska does play to competition, no-name running backs behind mediocre offensive lines have ripped off huge chunks against us. QBs are picking our secondary apart. Our tackling is piss-poor. And all these teams have inferior talent compared to Nebraska. Now put some of the better RBs in the nation behind one of the best offensive lines, and they're going to mow us down. Our D-line has no penetration against Wyoming, they sure as hell aren't going to start against Wisconsin. We have got some serious issues, and anyone who isn't acknowledging that is in denial.

We do have a talented offense, but unless you have a solid O-line, it isn't going to matter against better teams. Taylor's long balls are going to get picked off by better CBs, they hang way too long, and they're way underthrown. We will struggle to move the ball like we have for the past 2 years other than the occasional big play. I'm excited about the future of this offense, but wish we could get a QB who can throw. As for the defense, I'm just downright disgusted at this point.

Everybody needs to get a grip on themselves as far as the defense is concerned. For the first few games of the season we no longer had Amukamara, Gomes, Hagg or Dennard. Dennard is back of those four, but who knows exactly how healthy he truly is? It can't be understated how good those three guys were and how well they knew the offense. All three are on NFL rosters, and one of them was taken in the first round. You don't exactly "reload" that kind of talent by playing a bunch of sophomores.

Cassidy played last year, but it's clear that his deficiencies were masked by the talent we had rolling around the secondary. Our defense isn't going to be Top 10 this year so we just need to man up and deal with it. We are young at a ton of positions.

Now, as far as the defensive line is concerned, I don't know what to think there. The players have been underwhelming. That said, we did have one of our better defensive rushing performances last night. Not one of their players had more than 60 yards rushing.

Watching Martinez throw yesterday, I can't help but wonder, was he a better passer last year?

I like many of us, don't know if we can beat Wis. I am sure the coaching staff has a few new wrinkles they will show for the Wis game, but will it make much difference if the young guys can't execute the game plan. We seem to miss a lot of tackles and coverage calls. As far as getting on Cassidy about his play, ever wonder if he has peaked and this as good as he can do.

GBR!!!

We lost Gomes, Hagg, Amukamara, Allen... it is Dennard's first game back...

I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting

You don't seem to understand one thing: yes, the db's are inexperienced and not playing perfect, BUT that means that they are NOT VERY GOOD. Just because they have a decent excuse to be bad, doesn't mean being bad is nothing to worry about. Yes they're young, yes they make mistakes, and YES they are giving up points. Defenses aren't suppose to give up points, no matter how old they are or aren't. You are underreacting.

Of course we have "plenty to worry about." But I still like our chances against any team on our upcoming schedule except the Wisconsin team that happens to be #7 in the nation.

But terms like "terrible" shouldn't describe the defense at this point. (edit, they are "good" not "great" )Like I said, most of the secondary is very young and they can only grow and get better from here.

I agree with this statement...it seems like the defense just needs some fine tuning on technique, keys, read and assignments....one blown stupid play can easily cost a defense, two to three steps out of position will cost you, etc. This NEB defense will get better, trust me. Bo knows defense.

To me it comes down to the corners. Dennard looked good after he got warmed up, but the other guys are just plain soft on coverage. If it's talent or Raymond's technique I don't know, but the cushions are too big. If our D line is going to get any sacks they're going to have to be coverage sacks because they can't get effective penetration, and the DBs need to step up big time for that to happen

Everybody needs to get a grip on themselves as far as the defense is concerned. For the first few games of the season we no longer had Amukamara, Gomes, Hagg or Dennard. Dennard is back of those four, but who knows exactly how healthy he truly is? It can't be understated how good those three guys were and how well they knew the offense. All three are on NFL rosters, and one of them was taken in the first round. You don't exactly "reload" that kind of talent by playing a bunch of sophomores.

That's true. I don't think anyone expected them to be as good as last year's secondary. But it's not unreasonable to expect the defense to reload to some extent. Many people have compared this defense to the '08 defense, which is pretty spot on by my estimation. The thing that's unsettling about that is; those guys were a young, unexperienced secondary just like we have now. Without the huge advantage of learning and practicing in the system for a few years. The '08 guys were learning it on the fly. We shouldn't be playing at that level. We should be reloading instead of rebuilding.