gilbert to transfer

mwj98

Did...did you just compare Russell Wilson to Garrett Gilbert?

The all ACC first team QB in 2008? First time in ACC history a freshman did it. ACC's rookie of the year in football and you compared him Garrett Gilbert? :ahhhhhhhh

I can't be the only person here that thinks that Gilbert is no where near the caliber of Wilson or Martinez.

I think he was referring to the fact that this board said the exact same thing about Wilson when Nebraska got mentioned as being in the mix for him. "ACC defenses are weak" - "He's not any better than Martinez" - "He can't compete at the level of the B1G defenses" - etc, etc, etc. Now looking back - my guess is this entire board would be drooling over the possibility of getting Wilson to lead out offense.

Here's some quick quotes from that thread (and this is just on the first half page)...

Is he a runner? I doubt we'll have much use for him if not...Also, maybe he hasen't heard this but Carnes showed in the spring game he's the second coming of Joe Montana. He'll just ride the pine.

Yeah, we are plenty loaded at quarterback as it is.

See: Sam Keller Experiment.

I have confidence in our QB's lots of confidence....well besides Cody Green.

I don't think we need him. I seriously doubt he'd come in and compete to the point to take the starting job away from Martinez.

I know nothing about Wilson, but the fact that he was released was enough for me to say we don't want him.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

not no but tahell NO!

I say if you want to return to the "glory" days of the Bill Callahan era, then you go right after Gilbert. If, however, you want to be realistic and acknowledge where our true weaknesses are and admit that this team can and would win just as many, if not more, games with Martinez as our QB, Then gilbert becoming available means absolutely nothing. Control the line, play lights out defense, and limit detrimental down & distance issues and this team, with Martinez (Carnes-whoever) will be just fine. Some of you may be too young to really remember when the Huskers were truly dominant. We didn't need or even want the type of QB who could go on to the NFL. Gill, Frazier, Frost, Crouch, etc. I believe Martinez is much closer to being that type of player than any QB who played for us during the Callahan years even if they typically could throw the ball better. What I hear when I listen to people wanting to get rid of Martinez is; We need to get back to the good old times of Husker football circa 2000-2008. That tells me those people don't understand the 70's, 80's, & 90's of Husker football or that they just want to head in a different direction than that. If you can't accept a bad game now and then by certain players then I suggest you enroll in college and suit up or apply for Bo's job and show us all how it should be handled.