New starting corner...

Saunders

Congrats to Baptiste and I hope he makes the most of this opportunity. What baffles me is as complicated as we have been told the defensive scheme is, how does this guy change positions and become a starter in 3 weeks? Does that say something about how bad the other guys are? Or how good Baptiste is? Or does it tell us that the secondary coach may be having a hard time with this group? What does it say about this staff that we had all spring and fall to find a guy, rotated 3 different guys, and end up starting an entirely new guy at the position? Shouldn't this have been figured out quite some time ago?

Good for him and I wish him the best.

HOWEVER, I will be a slight Debbie Downer here, but I hope he can maintain his momentum. Case in point, Ciante Evans. Way to many people got too geeked after a so-so performance against Mizzou. Yes so-so. he was remembered for two plays. One, the tackle on Gabbert during the goalline stand, was great. The other is the breakup, in which he was actually beat on but the late, hanging throw let himj get back into the play. His play against ISU the following week should have put up more red flags and tempered expectations, and honestly he have seen those struggles this year.

Again I like the move, and with his size he has a better shot physically than Ciante, but let's see some consistancy out of the corner opposite Zo before getting to wacko.

• Fire 1

Looks like SJB earned a start for his heroics against Ohio State. Way to go, SJB!

Practice report: Jean-Baptiste gets his chance to start at corner

Nebraska already has started five different cornerbacks this year. Now another gets his chance.

Bo Pelini said after Thursday's practice that sophomore Stanley Jean-Baptiste will get the starting nod against Minnesota on Saturday.

"He's growing and I think he's done a good job," Pelini said. "We feel good about where he is."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Jean-Baptiste moved to cornerback from wide receiver in late September.

But he burst onto the scene with an impressive debut against Ohio State.

Coaches weren't necessarily planning to play him against the Buckeyes, thinking another week or two of practice might help him. But after some first-half struggles in the secondary, Jean-Baptiste got the call.

He ended up picking off a fourth-quarter pass and receiving a game ball from Pelini during the postgame locker room celebration.

"You can kind of look into a guy's eyes and see: Is he ready or is he not ready? Is he up to the challenge?" Pelini said of having faith in Jean-Baptiste. "He'd been doing it in practice."

Click the link for more info on Jay Guy, other (most likely redshirted) Freshmen, Eric Martin, etc.

Lots of stuff in this article by Christopherson. Good read.

I think it does say something about Raymond and the under performance of the DBs. This move may pay dividends eventually, but it kinda reminds me of Cody Glenn's move to LB when Bo got here. He was decent, but it spoke more about the state of our LB depth than about him as a standout player. It smells like a bit of desperation, but why not? The unit can't perform much worse, can they?

• Fire 1

I think it does say something about Raymond and the under performance of the DBs. This move may pay dividends eventually, but it kinda reminds me of Cody Glenn's move to LB when Bo got here. He was decent, but it spoke more about the state of our LB depth than about him as a standout player. It smells like a bit of desperation, but why not? The unit can't perform much worse, can they?

Boom! Great analogy. It's at the same time great (for Stanley) and terrifying (where's our depth!?!?!?) that he's moved and succeeded so quickly.

Still...... he's just had one game. And really one great play. Let's hope that wasn't a mirage, or beginner's luck. He also had a personal foul against the Buckeyes. We just gotta hope that his future is as bright as this move makes it look.

the thing i really like about this move is his size, he is a big corner that will be able to jam wideout better than the other smaller corners on the roster, i just hope he doesnt wiff and get burnt deep all the time

Don't worry, we've got Cassidy back there to help deep...

Er.

Yeah.

Don't worry.

What exactly does it say about Raymond?

• Fire 1