Where was Kyler Reed?

where has he been all year?

Exactly. Where IS Kyler Reed? My assessment? Now we have other playmakers at the wr position and we're not only relying on him downfield and his history makes for a bullseye to defenses when he does enter the game. Another issue is it is well known he has needed to work on his run blocking all offseason and in this offense that is a must. However, it has been a huge plus with Ben Cotton catching passes downfield this year. It's taking the predictability out of the position.

Couple of things. There's only one ball to go around. You've got Martinez, four very capable RBs, Cotton, Enunwa, Bell, Turner, Kinnie and Khiry Cooper who can all also catch the ball. Heck, Rex can catch the ball, and I presume from film that the freshmen can, too. That's a big factor in Reed's diminished role, I'm guessing.

The other thing, and I hate to say this because I love the heck out of the guy, but he has been very bad on blocks this year. Maybe I'm only catching mistakes and this is unfair, but SO MANY times I've seen him whiff on a block, only to have his guy blow up the play. If you're going to be part of this offense, being a pass-catcher also means you MUST be a good blocker.

^^^^ This. The first part, specifically.

I haven't paid enough attention to his blocking, but I definitely agree with the first part. There is only one ball to go around, and we have more playmakers at WR this year than in most recent years. Furthermore, tight ends are often not one of the first couple of reads for a quarterback, and we know Martinez generally has difficulty completely going through his reads. It's tough to get Reed the ball in that scenario.

I haven't paid enough attention to his blocking, but I definitely agree with the first part. There is only one ball to go around, and we have more playmakers at WR this year than in most recent years. Furthermore, tight ends are often not one of the first couple of reads for a quarterback, and we know Martinez generally has difficulty completely going through his reads. It's tough to get Reed the ball in that scenario.

i'll agree with the second part. he completely missed (sic whifffed) on that 4th down block in the ohio state game.

Couple of things. There's only one ball to go around. You've got Martinez, four very capable RBs, Cotton, Enunwa, Bell, Turner, Kinnie and Khiry Cooper who can all also catch the ball. Heck, Rex can catch the ball, and I presume from film that the freshmen can, too. That's a big factor in Reed's diminished role, I'm guessing..

Last year we had Paul (when he can catch), Kinnie, McNeil, Helu, Burkhead, Enuhwa (sp?), Cooper, Burkhead, Cotton and yet Reed was utilized well and was a huge playmaker in our offense and he hasn't been utilized as he should have all year. He's been used in some games but not in all 7 games.

i'll agree with the second part. he completely missed (sic whifffed) on that 4th down block in the ohio state game.

Yeah like I said I haven't really paid attention to his blocking skills, but if two people have noticed it then it's obviously something to worry about. I might have to go back and rewatch some of the games.