Block on Marlowe's run?

dergibog

Who had the block downfield on Marlowe's run in the first quarter? I saw it out of the corner of my eye during the play. The stadium replay showed just a little of it, and the crowd reacted. I expected to see it on the "hits of the game" but it wasn't shown again. I thought maybe it was Kinnie.

The guy was out cold, and it was pretty obvious at the moment of the hit. If you watch the replay Martin was a little freaked out by it, too - he backed away like he was scared of the guy.

Both players lowered their shoulders to take the impact, it's just that Sparty got lower and took the brunt of Martin's helmet in the back of his head. Not much Martin could have done. That whole sequence of approach, lowering and bracing for impact probably took less than a quarter of a second. If anyone gripes about helmet-to-helmet from this, they need to stop watching football. This was totally unintentional, and the blame is more on Sparty than Martin.

Another hit of the game was by Yoshi on the Sparty db that intercepted the tipped ball. That was a HUGE hit!

Or Eric Martin's opening kickoff stonewalling of a Spartan.

I just watched that on TV. Great, legal hit but the celebration after was a little disturbing. I know it's a rough sport, but still...

The guy was out cold, and it was pretty obvious at the moment of the hit. If you watch the replay Martin was a little freaked out by it, too - he backed away like he was scared of the guy.

Both players lowered their shoulders to take the impact, it's just that Sparty got lower and took the brunt of Martin's helmet in the back of his head. Not much Martin could have done. That whole sequence of approach, lowering and bracing for impact probably took less than a quarter of a second. If anyone gripes about helmet-to-helmet from this, they need to stop watching football. This was totally unintentional, and the blame is more on Sparty than Martin.

He backed away, saw the guy completely motionless face down and then celebrated.

Great, legal hit but the celebration after was a little disturbing. I know it's a rough sport, but still...

Go watch it again. Martin celebrated for maybe 1/2 a second before realizing the guy was out cold, and he immediately calmed down and backed away like he was scared of the guy.

Martin had just got his bell rung as well. You have to forgive him making an instant's celebration after a huge hit.

This is football. You should not be disturbed by that play.