Bo Pelini's Quarterback Graveyard - 2014 Edition

Landlord

I'd lean no, but it's close.

On the one hand, two picks returned for TDs in the first quarter alone that ended the game before it got started.

On the other, Bridgford seems like the lone bright spot on a team that was otherwise totally outmatched -- line, receivers, we dominated them all. That's more impressive when it's a team that isn't Southern Miss. Although normally, the QB being solid while being forced into some bad results by watching his team get demolished around him makes him a great candidate for the graveyard.

Mainly I lean no because I think at the end of the day, he himself has something to be proud of for standing in the face of the pass rush and battling back from some early mistakes to the best extent that he could. I prefer the idea of a graveyard QB being one who's just been sent home with his tail between his legs.

How is everyone discrediting the two pick-sixes?

a pick is a pick, what is done afterwards is not the qb's fault.

Disagree. A pass 50 yards downfield that gets intercepted is basically a punt. A short pass that is poor and give up an easy touchdown is a lot different. You have to be a lot more careful when you have no room for error.

Disagree. A pass 50 yards downfield that gets intercepted is basically a punt. A short pass that is poor and give up an easy touchdown is a lot different. You have to be a lot more careful when you have no room for error.

but sometimes picks on those short passes are the wide-out's fault. bad route running or tipping the ball. as was the case on evans pick-six.

but sometimes picks on those short passes are the wide-out's fault. bad route running or tipping the ball. as was the case on evans pick-six.

agree. I think they need to change the stats for int for the qb. If the receiver touches the ball it's on the receiver. he should either catch it or knock it down so it doesn't get intercepted.

Agreed, and in he goes - our first submission of 2013:

Allan Bridgford, Southern Miss, September 7, 2013 - 21/35 (60.0%) - 222 yards - 1 TD - 3 INT* (* - two for touchdowns)

I dunno. Even if Bridgford does qualify--which is questionable--I don't know that he has the QB pedigree to go into the graveyard. It would be like putting Gomer Pyle into Arlington Cemetery. :lol:

Yeah, but what if the QB throws it poorly or behind and the receiver can only get his hands on it a little, resulting in the tip?

if the receiver can try to tip the ball down and incomplete instead of up in the air. even with finger tips they can turn the ball downward. atleast try to make it harder for the other team to intercept.

Yeah, but what if the QB throws it poorly or behind and the receiver can only get his hands on it a little, resulting in the tip?

that is why i initially said a pick is a pick. too many variables. ultimately, i agree that it falls on the qb. but it seems rough to also blame the six points on the qb. that is just a defender making a play.

Sometimes, yes. The pass Evans picked off was high and behind the receiver. SJB's was a stare down followed by a late throw. Both were definitely poor passes by the QB.

• 4 weeks later...