JoePa Out

bmaher

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has decided to retire at the end of the season, according to a person familiar with the decision.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the decision has yet to be announced, said Paterno will announce his retirement later Wednesday.

Paterno has been besieged by criticism since former defensive coordinator and one-time heir apparent Jerry Sandusky was charged over the weekend with molesting eight young boys between 1994 and 2009. Athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz have been charged with failing to notify authorities after an eyewitness reported a 2002 assault.

Though Paterno is not accused of any wrongdoing, he has been questioned over his apparent failure to follow up on a report of the 2002 incident, in which Sandusky allegedly sodomized a 10-year-old boy in the showers at the team's football complex. A witness, Mike McQueary, is currently receivers coach for the team but was a graduate assistant at the time.

[/left]

Great--now we have to deal with a 'win one for the Gipper' mentality Saturday. Hope this burns Penn State out fast.

And it appears that Graham Spanier may be looking for work after all is said and done as well. Didn't care for him, but he did do quite a bit to help DoNU's non-athletic interests, if memory serves--perhaps we can give him an office and a paycheck to help Harvey expand Nebraska's non-agricultural research footprint?

Unacceptable. He should be gone yesterday. It sickens me that he may be in the press box on Saturday.

And as far as Spanier is concerned, he should be fired. I am sickened that he was our chancellor at one time. There is no f ing way that I want him to ever set foot in this state again.

Effective after the end of this season...

"I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can," he said in the statement.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

http://online.wsj.co...3277309662.html

I love JoePa and all he has done, but he should leave now and not when the season is over. This act of simply trying to stick up for Sandusky this pathetic human is going to tarnish Paternos rep forever. He should not be given a graceful exit no matter how great he has been for PSU as this scandal will inevitablly almost destroy this football program for years to come.

I love JoePa and all he has done, but he should leave now and not when the season is over. This act of simply trying to stick up for Sandusky this pathetic human is going to tarnish Paternos rep forever. He should not be given a graceful exit no matter how great he has been for PSU as this scandal will inevitablly almost destroy this football program for years to come.

^^^^This^^^^