Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

Ridiculous... this was a modern day witch hunt fueled by careless media making a lot of assumptions and suppositions with no real basis on factual evidence - that the BoT fired Paterno is not surprising given the rumors they've been trying to oust him for years, but fervor for which "we" were clamoring for his firing to "punish" him is repugnant.

The whole "he should have morally done more" argument is the result of hindsight and a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. It's always much easier to see how a someone screwed up after the fact and what they should've/could've done to change things - it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation. As for the "I would've done this or kicked this person's ***&^^*, " well, we're all real tough on the internet, but the majority of us would have done no more than he did - reported it to his superiors - and of those who actually may have done more (which is very few) even fewer could actually back it up. Honestly, disgusted at what was done to those boys, disgusted it was covered up and disgusted with the pitchfork and torches mob mentality that we've allowed ourselves to be stirred up into by the media.

Thank goodness our legal system gives zero weight to judgement of the court of public opinion, else we'd all hang. I only hope that the rioting is quelled before anyone gets seriously hurt as there's no need to had further injury, hurt and pain to this mess of a situation.

This is what i don't like the about the whole situation. Curley or Schultz could have easily told Paterno or McQueary that it had been turned over to the authorities or that it was taken care of.

But because of the media fueled firestorm. Everyone is made to look like the bad guy.

Right - how many years ago was that? If you caught someone at work sodomizing a kid (a 10 year old boy) and you told your boss and the a-hole was still visiting your place of employment 10 YEARS LATER, you wouldn't have some kind of issue with that?!

6 years actually. They have been investigating Sandusky since 2008, incident happened in 2002. Look im not going to swallow everything ESPN shoves down my throat. I would much rather wait for the PA police to release the official police statement after gathering all the evidence and witness statements.

Done for the night.

Ridiculous... this was a modern day witch hunt fueled by careless media making a lot of assumptions and suppositions with no real basis on factual evidence - that the BoT fired Paterno is not surprising given the rumors they've been trying to oust him for years, but fervor for which "we" were clamoring for his firing to "punish" him is repugnant.

The whole "he should have morally done more" argument is the result of hindsight and a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. It's always much easier to see how a someone screwed up after the fact and what they should've/could've done to change things - it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation. As for the "I would've done this or kicked this person's ***&^^*, " well, we're all real tough on the internet, but the majority of us would have done no more than he did - reported it to his superiors - and of those who actually may have done more (which is very few) even fewer could actually back it up. Honestly, disgusted at what was done to those boys, disgusted it was covered up and disgusted with the pitchfork and torches mob mentality that we've allowed ourselves to be stirred up into by the media.

Thank goodness our legal system gives zero weight to judgement of the court of public opinion, else we'd all hang. I only hope that the rioting is quelled before anyone gets seriously hurt as there's no need to had further injury, hurt and pain to this mess of a situation.

This is what i don't like the about the whole situation. Curley or Schultz could have easily told Paterno or McQueary that it had been turned over to the authorities or that it was taken care of.

But because of the media fueled firestorm. Everyone is made to look like the bad guy.

Right - how many years ago was that? If you caught someone at work sodomizing a kid (a 10 year old boy) and you told your boss and the a-hole was still visiting your place of employment 10 YEARS LATER, you wouldn't have some kind of issue with that?!

6 years actually. They have been investigating Sandusky since 2008, incident happened in 2002. Look im not going to swallow everything ESPN shoves down my throat. I would much rather wait for the PA police to release the official police statement after gathering all the evidence and witness statements.

Done for the night.

Or you could just read the indictment that has been posted all over this board. ESPN didn't write that.

• Fire 2

Sorry but no. He got fired because he was part of the chain of command that this went through and got shoved under the rug by. That much is documented and admitted. It is not a witch hunt. I don't understand how people can divorce themselves from reality enough to think that this was just a convenient opportunity to get rid of the guy. He tied their hands the day he found out about what went on in 2002 and didn't go directly to the authorities and continued to have Sandusky around the program... and that's assuming he was ignorant of the situation that went on before Sandusky was removed as DC in the 90s. Which isn't very plausible.

• Fire 1

I can respect your opinion on ESPN and other sensational news outlets. But man, if this is only the tip of the iceberg (as you know it will be), six years is five years and 364 days too many to leave that sexual predator to his own devices. I am just flabbergasted that no one, not one single man, put those poor, defenseless kids FIRST, before the football program, before the university, before the whole Happy Valley B.S. mystique. Very damn sad.

Greatest moment in CNN History? reaalllllly? :facepalm: >guy who uploaded that video to youtube.

That was an epic facepalm moment, but all and all ESPN should be ashamed that they got taken behind the woodshed with their lacking coverage of the entire thing compared to CNN's. The girl is English, what do you expect?

http://adventuresinmommyhood2009.blogspot.com/2011/11/to-penn-staters-and-fans-of-joe-pa.html

Wow - this blog post brings up a horrific point:

Don't worry, Penn Staters--- YOU ARE not this scandal. YOU ARE not just Joe Paterno's football fans. YOU ARE not just Penn State.

BUT most importantly, (and hopefully) YOU ARE not the victim of the heinous crimes we are talking about here. YOU ARE not that child who was being anally raped by a trusted football coach in a reputable college's locker room, that child who looked out in fear at the grad student who saw you bent over--- that child who probably thought at that moment "Thank you, sweet lord, for sending this angel who will save me from this man." That child who was never saved.

The safety of children is always more important than football. Inaction is often the worst action- that's what was done for all these years. That's why Joe's gotta go.

• Fire 5

People have their heads in the sand BIG TIME over this.

Look im not going to swallow everything ESPN shoves down my throat. I would much rather wait for the PA police to release the official police statement after gathering all the evidence and witness statements.

Here you go.

Educate yourself - here's the Grand Jury Report, not some media-driven drivel.

Thanks Knapplc, didn't see the report posted. Well i read it throughly, and i see about 10 folks in there that deserve jail time.

http://adventuresinm...-of-joe-pa.html

Wow - this blog post brings up a horrific point:

Don't worry, Penn Staters--- YOU ARE not this scandal. YOU ARE not just Joe Paterno's football fans. YOU ARE not just Penn State.

BUT most importantly, (and hopefully) YOU ARE not the victim of the heinous crimes we are talking about here. YOU ARE not that child who was being anally raped by a trusted football coach in a reputable college's locker room, that child who looked out in fear at the grad student who saw you bent over--- that child who probably thought at that moment "Thank you, sweet lord, for sending this angel who will save me from this man." That child who was never saved.

The safety of children is always more important than football. Inaction is often the worst action- that's what was done for all these years. That's why Joe's gotta go.

Good post.