Objectively……..What few teams CAN’T we compete with….??

Comish

I think LSU obviously, Oregon and Okie State I think score too many points for us to keep up with. I think we'd score quite a few points, but right now I think they would absolutely light up our defense. Alabama's defense is another notch up from PSU, I think they control our offense enough that Richardson's running is enough for them.

After that, I think we COULD compete with anybody, but we're so up and down it's hard to predict how we'll come out each game.

I like this thread, fun to speculate.

Alabama's defense is ranked #1 in total defense. Mich St. is 3rd, and Penn St. is 8th, tOSU is 15th and this weeks opponent is 17th. We have beat some pretty good defenses. So I think we could/should be able to play with anyone.

Alabama and LSU would have me possible doubting if we could win, but anyone else, we CAN beat.

Where's all this Kool-Aid coming from? Do people really think that with all the inconsistency we've had this year and the loss to Northwestern that Nebraska could even compete with most teams in the top 10?
Let's take a quick look at the teams ranked in front of us: 1) LSU 10-0: Beat Alabama on the road and is sound all across the boards. No way would we beat them 2) Oklahoma State 10-0: Dynamite offense would give our defense fits, but they let a sluggish Kansas State offense score 45. See: @ Okie Light last year 3) Alabama 9-1: Only loss was vs LSU in OT, where they missed 4 FGs. No way would we beat Alabama 4) Oregon 9-1: Extremely quick offense. Better D than Oklahoma State. It would be hard to beat Oregon. 5) Oklahoma 8-1: Allowed an offensive team like Texas Tech beat them in Norman. I'd like our chances against OU. 6) Arkansas 9-1: I'll throw 2 scores out here, Ole Miss 29-24, Vanderbilt 31-28. I'd like our chances against Arkansas 7) Clemson 9-1: Had to kick a FG to beat Wake Forest at home, had to comeback against Maryland, and lost against Georgia Tech. They have weapons but we can beat them too. 8) Stanford 9-1: They're a pretty solid team, but Oregon's speed exposed them. Andrew Luck isn't that mobile, but against us, he might not have to be. It would be tough to beat Stanford 9) Virginia Tech 9-1: I don't really know a lot about the Hokies since Tyrod Taylor left. I'll hold back judgement here. 10) Boise State 8-1: Just lost vs TCU at home. We could beat the Broncos. 11) Houston 10-0: Case Keenum is great. Maybe they're a product of a soft schedule. I don't know. But I think we could beat Houston 12) Michigan State 8-2: 24-3 Already done. 13) Georgia 8-2: They have really turned it on since losing to BSU and SC. I don't know much about them so I'll toss this one up. 14) South Carolina 8-2: Mississippi State 14-12, Tennessee 14-3, Auburn 16-13, Florida 17-12. Without Lattimore, they don't have the offensive firepower. They might have a defense, but we have shown what we can do to good Ds. We'd win. 15) Wisconsin 8-2: Much better than 8-2. I think it would be closer, but I don't know. 16) Kansas State 8-2: The good teams have almost exposed Kansas State for what they are: a team not as good as their record indicates. So the only teams we wouldn't be able to compete with are: Oregon, LSU, Stanford, Alabama, and a toss up between Georgia, Wisconsin, and Virginia Tech

Let me throw out a few scores..we get whooped by wisconsin and we lose to northwestern..friggen northwestern. We are getting our butt kicked by ohio state until bauserman saves our arse (sorry, but if you ppl state that martinez threw 3 picks that lost us that game then bauserman lost the game or ohio state). So any team can look at our past games and use that as a reason as to why they can beat us.

I know we have. But my point was, if you look across the college landscape--almost EVERY team ranked in front of us has had poor performances. We're not much different than a lot of teams who are ranked in front and behind us.

• Fire 1

I think LSU obviously, Oregon and Okie State I think score too many points for us to keep up with. I think we'd score quite a few points, but right now I think they would absolutely light up our defense. Alabama's defense is another notch up from PSU, I think they control our offense enough that Richardson's running is enough for them.

After that, I think we COULD compete with anybody, but we're so up and down it's hard to predict how we'll come out each game.

Alabama's defense is ranked #1 in total defense. Mich St. is 3rd, and Penn St. is 8th, tOSU is 15th and this weeks opponent is 17th. We have beat some pretty good defenses. So I think we could/should be able to play with anyone.

Alabama and LSU would have me possible doubting if we could win, but anyone else, we CAN beat.

The only thing I'll say about Bama's defense and others can decide what kind of success NU would have is this.

Announced during the game Saturday night was this stat. Since the halfway point of last season, Bama has given up an average of 45 yards a game rushing, and TWO rush TDs.

Thinking it would be a long day against that D.

Thats true, we have done OK on occasion against some pretty good defenses. But I really believe that Alabama's defense is in another league than the one's we've played. And their offense would be too much for our defense.

But outside of extradorinary circumstances, there's no way we beat Okie St or Oregon. They both would absolutely demolish our defense. We would score points, but not nearly enough to make a game of it. I said it earlier and still believe it, both Okie ST and Oregon both would put up 50+ on us.

I think if we show up healthy and play 100%, the only teams that win a best-of-7 series against us are LSU, Bama, maybe Wisconsin, Oregon, maybe Stanford, maybe Okie State... That's it. With the exception of LSU and Bama, I think we still have a good chance of winning that best-of-7 series against any of these teams, though they would be tough.

Clemson,..... is just not that good, and neither is any of the teams in the SEC other than LSU and Bama.

The only thing I'll say about Bama's defense and others can decide what kind of success NU would have is this.

Announced during the game Saturday night was this stat. Since the halfway point of last season, Bama has given up an average of 45 yards a game rushing, and TWO rush TDs.

Thinking it would be a long day against that D.

Alabama is outstanding, no doubt. They have given up 7 TD's this season, are you kidding me? They are giving up a total of 3.15 yds an attempt, and 181.4 a game. That's insane!!

What great offenses have PSU and Mich state played? Alabama was ahead of penn state 27-3 with 6:00 in the third before they let down. Wisconsin moved the ball well on Michigan State as well. Wisconsin had 223 yards passing and 220 rushing on michigan states overrated defense, notre dame had about 300 yards of offense and their offense isnt that great. Michigan State's stats are skewed because they havent played many good offenses (theyve played notre dame, us and wisconsin..Both Nebraska and wisconsin moved the ball well on that d and notre dame got 275 yards.) Penn State has played NOBODY. Alabama had 370 yards of offense and we moved the ball well, otherwise they havent played a top 25 team the whole year. Penn State and Michigan State's defenses are only good because of the weak competition they have faced. Lets face it, the big 10 is the 4th/5th best conference.

I think that the premise is not which team would you expect them to beat, but which teams would have a decent shot at.

Having watched the Stanford - Oregon game, I'm thinking that there would be slim chance against Stanford and almost no chance against Oregon.

Interestingly MSU starts against Boise next year in E. Lansing. I'm already looking forward to sitting down for that.

I think that the premise is not which team would you expect them to beat, but which teams would have a decent shot at.

Having watched the Stanford - Oregon game, I'm thinking that there would be slim chance against Stanford and almost no chance against Oregon.

Interestingly MSU starts against Boise next year in E. Lansing. I'm already looking forward to sitting down for that.

NU is too inconsistent, but at our best we probably get embarrassed or at best struggle with most of the top ten teams, excluding boise. outside of that i think we can beat anyone.

The ONLY team where we'd be over matched on both sides: LSU.

All others would be very winnable.

OkieLite would give our pink secondary fits but then I hope TM would light them up too.

agreed. LSU would be the only team in the country that im not sure we could keep it within 2 scores of. okielite will be exposed if they have to play LSU and it wont be pretty, if they werent playing in a very WEAK big 12 they would not be undefeated. i truly believe that alabama would be a good close game within a score one way or another. oregon is an inconsistent team.

and i would pay large amounts of money to play wisky again because im of the opinion that we would throttle them. quite frankly to the tune of 31-10. they have regressed and we have gotten better.

Big 12 is better than the Big 10. Oregon is inconsistent but look at us, we are MORE inconsistent then them. How can our rush defense stop richardson? Look wat NORTHWESTERN did to us last weekend there is no way our offense scores more than 10 points on that defense. You cant point out oregon's inconsistencies and not mention ours.

almost every team struggles with a team or two a season. NW holds little weight to your argument. from what i have seen the BIG is much better than the big12 seriously right now a Kstate team that is downright not good is sitting at 8-2 in that crap conference. have you actually watched any big12 games this season or are you an "ESPN Expert" (definition-gets all football info from ESPN without actually watching games)? again the thread asked who can we be competitive with, not who would we beat without a ounce of doubt. there is no reason we cant compete with Oregon or Bama. and its pretty obvious that we are inconsistent so no need to put that but again that in no way means that we cannot COMPETE with them.

based on Bama's kicking game, we match up well against every team except LSU and Wisconsin. That makes us the 3 rd best team in the nation.

I will take that any day.

wow

How do you define 'matchup?'. Bama and LSU would STUFF our offense. I have no doubt about that.

Wisconsin destroyed us all ready, and saying 'well, you never know what could happen if they met again' is not an intelligent argument for why Nebraska would win.

Oregon and Okie St. would dismantle our defense, and our thin DLine would be sucking wind after the first drive in either case.

I wouldn't bet on beating Oklahoma with our secondary, but I think we'd score some points. Stanford would beat us as well, as would Boise St.

Just to name a few

I hardly think it's an intelligent argument to assume we lose to Wisconsin "now" if we played. Especially if not at their house, at night. Since that game Michigan St beat them. Ohio St beat them too. We would have a good chance.

Sure we could lose to Stanford, Oregon & Boise St. We could beat them too as defensively they're not overwhelming at all.

Alabama & LSU would be very difficult to be sure. But anyone else we have a decent chance. Hey. we're not a powerhouse at all yet and won't be until we get some good line play on both sides of the ball. I admit that. Learning to catch the ball would help a lot too. Nevertheless we're still dangerous with Tmart & SuperRex on offense and our defense is gradually getting better. We're no pushover.

GBR!!

The ONLY team where we'd be over matched on both sides: LSU.

All others would be very winnable.

OkieLite would give our pink secondary fits but then I hope TM would light them up too.

agreed. LSU would be the only team in the country that im not sure we could keep it within 2 scores of. okielite will be exposed if they have to play LSU and it wont be pretty, if they werent playing in a very WEAK big 12 they would not be undefeated. i truly believe that alabama would be a good close game within a score one way or another. oregon is an inconsistent team.

and i would pay large amounts of money to play wisky again because im of the opinion that we would throttle them. quite frankly to the tune of 31-10. they have regressed and we have gotten better.

Big 12 is better than the Big 10. Oregon is inconsistent but look at us, we are MORE inconsistent then them. How can our rush defense stop richardson? Look wat NORTHWESTERN did to us last weekend there is no way our offense scores more than 10 points on that defense. You cant point out oregon's inconsistencies and not mention ours.

again the thread asked who can we be competitive with, not who would we beat without a ounce of doubt.

Actually the title of this thread is "

Objectively……..What few teams CAN’T we compete with….??

Just sayin........

If the issue is simply competing then I think there are 4 teams that would be tough to compete with right now. LSU and Alabama we would have difficulty scoring and Okie State and Oregon we would have difficulty outscoring. Even before Oregon's win over Stanford last night I looked at Oregon as being a more difficult opponent...how would we keep pace with their scoring? A close friend of mine went to the Stanford vs. USC game and said we could beat both of these teams. No doubt Stanford would be tough. I still think Boise State would also be difficult to outscore and OU would be very tough also. Any teams ahead of us in the rankings would be good tests but we could beat Clemson, VA Tech, Arkie, So. Carolina, Georgia, etc. At the end of the day, I think we are going to see a SEC opponent in a bowl game...my guess is Georgia and I think that would be a good game.