Stop worrying about recruiting.

Didn't we have a "We suck at recruiting" thread almost daily last year, too? Weren't the same concerns being levied last year - no marquee players, not enough recruits overall, starting too slow, coaches are ignoring recruits, etc?

How did last year's class turn out again? Anyone like having guys like Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, Ameer Abdullah, etc on the team?

It's annoying to see a new thread pop up (on this site and others) daily about how NU has done a crappy job in recruiting this year. Every time I see a new post all I think is they have no idea what they're talking about.

We knew well before the year started that this was going to be a smaller than normal class. What does a small class allow a school to do? Be picky. What does be picky mean? Go after highly recruited kids. What do many highly recruited kids do? Choose to delay their recruiting focus until late in the year.

Most of the recruits we are in on took their FIRST official visit of their process to Nebraska. For example, Tyrone Neal, Devin Fuller, Jordan Diggs, Brandon Beaver, Jon Bullard, Thomas Brown, and Anthony Alford all took their first OV to Nebraska. This is very impressive...to me at least. Other schools are obviously trying to get these kids on campus but the only one they've taken an OV to is Nebraska. Very rarely will you see a recruit call it quits and commit to a school after just one OV. Have patience people.

Another thing to point out is a change in need that became obvious during the season. We need immediate help and that is why you see JUCO kids like Seisay and Zaire fly up the recruiting board. Most JUCOs don't even get evaluated until this time of year.

What else? Here is what we have: Our QB (might get 1 more), 3 LBs (will get one more), our WR (imo-we don't want any more), our TE (maybe 1 more).

What do we need?

OL - have 1 stud in Thurston, in a great position to get Andrus Peat, sit OK for Stanely. We aren't really in need of a lot more.

DL - 1 stud DE in McMullen, in a good spot for Johnson, in a good spot for Valentine. We probably need to get at least 1 more DE and 1 DT and if the 2 previously mentioned commit, we are sitting great.

LB - need 1 more and have 10 options....no need to worry at all.

DB - probably the biggest question mark...but not really. We'll get Charles Jackson, in a great spot for Seisay and Rios. I see us taking 4 here.

My point is that if you actually take the time to look at where we are in recruiting (AND NOT JUST LOOK AT THE CURRENT COMMIT LIST then proceed to piss yourself) it's obvious that Nebraska is sitting just fine.

:rant :rant :rant :rant

THIS!!!!!!!!!

And I thought I was just pulling this same response out of my own ass.

+1 more if I could my good man

It's annoying to see a new thread pop up (on this site and others) daily about how NU has done a crappy job in recruiting this year. Every time I see a new post all I think is they have no idea what they're talking about.

We knew well before the year started that this was going to be a smaller than normal class. What does a small class allow a school to do? Be picky. What does be picky mean? Go after highly recruited kids. What do many highly recruited kids do? Choose to delay their recruiting focus until late in the year.

Most of the recruits we are in on took their FIRST official visit of their process to Nebraska. For example, Tyrone Neal, Devin Fuller, Jordan Diggs, Brandon Beaver, Jon Bullard, Thomas Brown, and Anthony Alford all took their first OV to Nebraska. This is very impressive...to me at least. Other schools are obviously trying to get these kids on campus but the only one they've taken an OV to is Nebraska. Very rarely will you see a recruit call it quits and commit to a school after just one OV. Have patience people.

Another thing to point out is a change in need that became obvious during the season. We need immediate help and that is why you see JUCO kids like Seisay and Zaire fly up the recruiting board. Most JUCOs don't even get evaluated until this time of year.

What else? Here is what we have: Our QB (might get 1 more), 3 LBs (will get one more), our WR (imo-we don't want any more), our TE (maybe 1 more).

What do we need?

OL - have 1 stud in Thurston, in a great position to get Andrus Peat, sit OK for Stanely. We aren't really in need of a lot more.

DL - 1 stud DE in McMullen, in a good spot for Johnson, in a good spot for Valentine. We probably need to get at least 1 more DE and 1 DT and if the 2 previously mentioned commit, we are sitting great.

DB - probably the biggest question mark...but not really. We'll get Charles Jackson, in a great spot for Seisay and Rios. I see us taking 4 here.

My point is that if you actually take the time to look at where we are in recruiting (AND NOT JUST LOOK AT THE CURRENT COMMIT LIST then proceed to piss yourself) it's obvious that Nebraska is sitting just fine.

+1 to you...

What do we need?

Good write up buddy! I agree with everything you said, this class is going to be special people will just have to wait for the flood gates to open later in the year. In-home visits are going to be huge this year, more so than any other year.

What do we need?

Good write up buddy! I agree with everything you said, this class is going to be special people will just have to wait for the flood gates to open later in the year. In-home visits are going to be huge this year, more so than any other year.

Hate to be a yes man but I think it will be a great class as well. One thing I think our staff does really well are in home visits, any time we can get an in home visit with a kid I like our chances.

What do we need?

I was just about to get on here and post something like this. People are getting their panties in a bunch, when I feel like we are doing pretty good. Re-evaluations will becoming soon and upgrades will be handed out to a few players for us IMO.

when do in-homes start. Can they happen at anytime? I'm not sure of all the deadperiods, etc.

Sept. 1 - Nov. 26: Evaluation period

Nov. 27 - Jan. 17: Contact period

Dec 18: Quiet Period

Dec 19 - Jan 3: Dead Period

Dec. 21 - Jan. 15: Junior college transfer

Jan 4 - Jan 7: Contact Period

Jan 8: Quiet Period

Jan 9 - Jan 12: Dead Period

Jan 13 - Jan 28: Contact Period

Jan 29: Quiet Period

Jan 30 - Feb 2: Dead Period

Feb. 1 - April 1: Signing period

Feb 3 - April 15: Quiet Period

April 16 - May 31: Evaluation period

June 1 - Aug. 31: Quiet period

Contact period Nov 27-Jan 17 is when the majority happen.

• Fire 1

Didn't we have a "We suck at recruiting" thread almost daily last year, too? Weren't the same concerns being levied last year - no marquee players, not enough recruits overall, starting too slow, coaches are ignoring recruits, etc?

How did last year's class turn out again? Anyone like having guys like Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, Ameer Abdullah, etc on the team?

in all fairness to the skeptics - jamal turner had been committed for 10 months by this time last year, green for a few weeks. we had a class of 14 by this point, including all of our highly ranked players (save Peat). the general belief in this thread is that it's BECAUSE we are going after these highly ranked players that we haven't signed more that 8. Which I am fine and certainly agree with. But if history tells us anything - it's that Nebraska recruiting all but halts post-Christmas.

The recruits we sign after christmas are jucos (SJB/Carter), guys we'd like to walk on but eventually offer (sutton/marsh), guys w/ questionable injuries (bell). In the last 3 years we've legitimately chased and nabbed 2 high profile recruits late - Corey Cooper and Peat. Carnes was a late addition but not someone you can say we recruited for an entire year like the guys we're talking about now. Everyone else has been committed by Christmas.

Hopefully we finish 2-0 with a BCS birth and our luck turns around...but another 1-3 finish and we might be scrambling for jucos and in-state questionables come mid-January.

I know we always finish strong and am not to worried about where this class is at. But I hate losing out on guy's like Bullard even though i don't think we were really in it for him.

Hey I hate that things didn't work with him as well, but hey at least our staff got him out to Lincoln and that was an accomplishment in itself, cirumstances considered. These things will continue to happen but as long as things improve and our program can win, guys like him won't be as hard to pull to Lincoln. This is not to say we deserve every highly rated defensive prospect, but I still feel kids help themselves by getting coached by Bo.