What we learned this week

walksalone

Husker Richard:

When Taylor runs like he did at the beginning of last year, he's inevitably going to take a ton of shots and get hurt, or he will try too hard and fumble the ball eventually. I believe the coaches have made Taylor scale back his running ferocity on purpose, in order to keep him healthy and lessen turnovers. If he gets hurt, Carnes plays, and we ain't ready for that at all. Unfortunately, a side effect of his being more careful with the ball is less big plays. And when our offense fails to catch the ball or block to open up holes, and he's not busting big plays, our offense is going to stall.

It's not just his running style. It's his inability to read a hole or make the correct read on the option. He had a MASSIVE hole yesterday on a 3rd down passing play and instead of running there he ran directly into the DT. For a guy who is a decent runner, he is an inept scrambler.

I'm just not sold on him in the open field. Ya, he's fast. But he rarely makes guys miss and he consistently misses running lanes.

Hmm, why aren't we ready for Carnes? Oh ya, because the staff REFUSES to put him into the game regardless of the situation. They're digging their own grave by mismanaging Carnes. It's mind-boggling.

Haha......oh yeah, all those MASSIVE holes he's missing. Riiiiiight.

Funny how SuperRex and everyone else never could find those MASSIVE holes as our whole team could only muster a pitiful 138 yds rushed. Gee, do ya think just "maybe" our Oline got totally stuffed again? Just like NW's mighty defense did to them?

Our Oline play was simply horrible my friend as we've got problems in River City with our big uglies. I'm convinced last year's Oline, while also inconsistent, was still far, far better than this one. I don't know how we can just dump that on Barney with Garrison & Stai here but it should and "must" get a lot better next year.

GBR!!

Husker Richard:

When Taylor runs like he did at the beginning of last year, he's inevitably going to take a ton of shots and get hurt, or he will try too hard and fumble the ball eventually. I believe the coaches have made Taylor scale back his running ferocity on purpose, in order to keep him healthy and lessen turnovers. If he gets hurt, Carnes plays, and we ain't ready for that at all. Unfortunately, a side effect of his being more careful with the ball is less big plays. And when our offense fails to catch the ball or block to open up holes, and he's not busting big plays, our offense is going to stall.

It's not just his running style. It's his inability to read a hole or make the correct read on the option. He had a MASSIVE hole yesterday on a 3rd down passing play and instead of running there he ran directly into the DT. For a guy who is a decent runner, he is an inept scrambler.

I'm just not sold on him in the open field. Ya, he's fast. But he rarely makes guys miss and he consistently misses running lanes.

Hmm, why aren't we ready for Carnes? Oh ya, because the staff REFUSES to put him into the game regardless of the situation. They're digging their own grave by mismanaging Carnes. It's mind-boggling.

Are 7 plays a game really going to make that much of a difference if Carnes is put in?

He could've been in the whole 4th qtr yesterday. How can you argue against getting the backup QB game experience? He has NONE. We are a rolled ankle away from starting Carnes. I'd like to see him at least adjust to game speed.

Carnes not playing at all yesterday was an ultimate fail.

Husker Richard:

Funny how SuperRex and everyone else never could find those MASSIVE holes as our whole team could only muster a pitiful 138 yds rushed. Gee, do ya think just "maybe" our Oline got totally stuffed again? Just like NW's mighty defense did to them?

Our Oline play was simply horrible my friend as we've got problems in River City with our big uglies. I'm convinced last year's Oline, while also inconsistent, was still far, far better than this one. I don't know how we can just dump that on Barney with Garrison & Stai here but it should and "must" get a lot better next year.

GBR!!

It wasn't a running play. It was a passing play. He had a HUGE lane. Rewatch the game. You'll know the moment you see it.

Husker Richard:

GBR!!

It wasn't a running play. It was a passing play. He had a HUGE lane. Rewatch the game. You'll know the moment you see it.

Oh, I'll take your word for it as I don't know if I can stomach watching it again. But that's ignoring the main problem this offense has.....the Oline. Sure, our wrs dropping passes all year doesn't help but without a push from the big uglies we're not going to have any consistent success. Up....down.....up....down.

So, Tmart missed taking off on "one" pass play. I hardly think that's why we lost that game.

I will say this as I am rewatchiong the game. We have a lot of guys that are playing at half speed. Looks like a lot of guys on this team are not giving their best effort. Also looks like we have a significant number of players that look afraid of contact. Not a lot of anger and passion out of this team. Maybe guys don't care, or maybe they are just thinking too much instead of just playing ball. I'd say it's probably the latter. I would hope these guys care. Not about me or anyone else, i would hope they have some pride in themselves and the performance they put on the field. As many guys as you see not playing til' the whistles though, it really has to make you wander what has made this team lay down and quit on themselves and each other in a couple of games this year. Lot's of problems on this team and I don't know if they can get fixed soon. These coaches are not working hard enough. This team is not practicing hard enough. We don't practice physically enough. We are not demanding excellence.

Husker Richard:

GBR!!

I hate to have to agree wtih Bshirt, but I do. The OL play is pitiful. Rex has made them look better than they are on coutless occasions this year. First contact on him is made at or even behind the line of scrimmage, what should be a negative play, he turns into something positive. And I think the NW game was the perfect example, Rex didn't have his usuall stuff, and our run game was non-existant.

I noticed something yesterday. On numerous occasions as their running back reached the second level, you would see a Michigan offensive lineman engaged with a linebacker or secondary player. They were actually making their first block and then moving on and getting a second. Realistically, how many times have you seen our lineman standing around while the back is tackled at the LOS. They often don't even get their first block let alone a second. IF they can get the blocking figured out, all of a sudden TM and the backs look a whole let better.

I would not say that the entire offensive line is doing terribly. After reviewing the game, I can clearly see that two players are consistently being abused on our offensive front. I hate calling out specific players, but I will say that #58 and #61 have got to work harder and get better. I have said before though, #58 size disadvantage just might be too much to overcome.

I don't follow recruiting very closely. Maybe someone can explain. Bo is known as a defensive genius-- a great playcaller and talent developer (the man that helped make Suh an all-time great) with NFL coaching experience. How on earth is this the best we can do, talent-wise, four years into the Bo era? Evans, Thorell, Cassidy and Fisher all Blackshirts? Defensive ends are far from elite (none of them will be close to the all-B1G three-deep). I grant that even the best teams often have one or two starters of questionable talent, but when 5-6 of your top 13 are players that would barely see the field on an Alabama or LSU, you have some real talent issues. Is Pelini that sub-par as a defensive recruiter?

It is very hard to convince an 18 year old kid to come to a small town in the middle of nowhere where it gets very cold when he can go to a southern school. I love my home state and want to move back there some day, but try to tell that to a five or four star from the south. We don't get the hyped talent and so have to spend a lot of time coaching them up.

That is not an excuse. Have you ever been to Norman, Oklahoma? That place is a sh#t hole. It's about the effort in recruiting and the coaches are not putting enough into it. Hence only using 25 out of 55 official visits this year with one home game left.

Four years later we are the still the same type of team. No progress made.

this may be the most gut wrenching post yet.........and true.

But is it true? NO progess made? None at all? It just seems a little extreme to me. Taylor has gone from an insecure, fairly good runner to an actual

quarterback. He has grown so much! How about Stafford? He made some nice tackles tonight. Our defense were out there all game long. Terrance Moore made some great plays despite having lost his Dad this week. I think we HAVE made progress-I think back at the beginning of the season when we were all predicting how NU would do this year in a new conference-we said we would lose 3-4 games and Michigan was one of the 'scariest' games on the schedule. Look what we've done this year! Our first year in the B1G and we have beaten the two teams that will likely play in the B1G CG. Yeah, it's crap that it's not us but I just do not agree that we have made NO PROGRESS. I look forward to beating Iowa at home and to see who we play in our bowl game. Sorry, I respectfully disagree-we have made some progress and we will continue to make progress. We have a young team and we're already seeing what they can do. It will be exciting to see how much they grow over the summer. I think next year will be our year.

Taylor's running skills have regressed incredibly. Do you remember Washington (1st meeting) or KSU from last year? We haven't seen a single run like that this year. Not one. Injury may play a role in this or possibly lack of depth, either way he is not on the same level as last year. His passing has certainly improved, although our WRs try their best to drop every ball thrown their way.

Our defense is pillow soft and it's going to get real ugly next year. Stafford made a few tackles, but he was out of position A LOT. His coverage skills leave a lot to be desired.

You're honestly telling me that this D has progressed from last years'? That's laughable. Prince/Gomes/Hagg >>>>>>> Thorell/Cassidy/Ciante/Green/Stafford

No, I'm saying that I think it is a short sighted to say that we've made NO PROGRESS. I agree-our defense isn't good right now. I don't know the answer to that. I think the D not performing well is the most frustrating for me. However, how did you feel about our D when we played MSU? They were stellar! I think that is what is the most frustrating for me-we have so much potential but we're so inconsistent!! Blah!

Would you agree that Taylor has made progress with regards to his game management skills/passing accuracy? That is SOME progress.

We're like the kid's poem: "There was a little girl who had a little curl-when she was good she was very good and when she was bad she was horrible!' That's our team.

The bolded is why I dont think this team has made any progress since Bo's first year. There were times in Bo's first year that we looked very good, almost beating TTech who was #3 in country at that time, after getting blown out by Mizzou the week before. Got shattered by OU the same year. 2009 almost beating an average Vtech team...... beating a good Mizzou team on the road in a Thursday night matchup..... then laying an egg against TTech the following week after that the ISU debacle. 2010..... beating Washington(not that big of win) then losing to Texas (again!) in what was the Longhorns worse team in atleast a decade. Beating Mizzou again..... then losing to an offensively challenged A&M team. Blowing a 17pt lead against in the CCG and finally just packing it in the bowl game.

This a very bad trend. So from year 1 to year 4 you see the same trends and losing to the same type of teams. This cant happen much longer and Im sure Bo knows that.

Good teams lose these type of games every now and then(every 2 years or so). Great teams find a way to beat NW at home.

You are correct and the people that matter are asking the same questions. I'll just say this, Bo needs to beat Iowa in the worst way or his seat is going to get very hot. Especially if they lose the bowl game on top of that.

We learned just how awful this team can be. They have serious preparation and motivation problems. We are not a good team and somethings simply have to change.

Yet we also know how GOOD this team can be. We've see what we can do when we are prepared and motivated (i.e. MSU) We are a good team but we are an inconsistent team. I think that's what is so frustrating (at least to me it is) If we were not a good team we wouldn't be 8-3 right now. But I totally agree with you in that some things simply have to change and I think one of them has to be to get better talent and coaching on the O-line for starters.

We learned just how awful this team can be. They have serious preparation and motivation problems. We are not a good team and somethings simply have to change.

Yet we also know how GOOD this team can be. We've see what we can do when we are prepared and motivated (i.e. MSU) We are a good team but we are an inconsistent team. I think that's what is so frustrating (at least to me it is) If we were not a good team we wouldn't be 8-3 right now. But I totally agree with you in that some things simply have to change and I think one of them has to be to get better talent and coaching on the O-line for starters.

I have no idea how good this team could be based on anything they have actually done as a team in a game thus far. I have witnessed some sporadic instances of great individual effort which leads me to believe those instances could be brought together into a full team effort but, I have not yet once seen a complete full team effort. Second half tOSU or MSU were probably the closest things but if you watch that very carefully, you will begin to see how painfully inept MSU really was. Beating an otherwise good team on their worst day does not mean you played a good game. Our offense is highly inconsistent, our defense is just plain bad, and special teams has been steadily declining and found the bottom this past week. I am certain the skill is there (with the exception of either line). The things that are missing have to be preparation, motivation, and focus. I like Bo, I really do and I don't think yet is the time to call for his head but those 3 items are his baby and his alone. I really feel something happened internally that coincides with Bo's sideline behavior change and Taylor now running like he's afraid he'll get hurt. This team has lost their aggressiveness and I am not sure why. It's like they have all become eunics with very few sporadic exceptions.