Not a TM Bashing

Spartness

I think he is getting better managing the game and could some day be a solid QB for us. But it's apparent that he still has his share of issues and is off and on. He's still in development. But are you folks with me despite his great acceleration and speed that the better defenses have figured out how to defend him because he doesn't have the ability to make defenders miss? It seems that as long as defenders are in position, they won't miss any tackles against him. So as long as defenders don't have to chase him from behind, they don't feel that threatened by his inability in the open field? Do you folks sense this? I see him as a good runner, but not a great one like a Dennard Robinson, an Eric Crouch or a Tommie Frazier, etc.

As for this season, while it has been somewhat disappointing, two of the teams we have beaten may end up playing for the Big 10 title ... so I wouldn't call it yet a bust. Get back to me on that after the Iowa game.

This is an excellent observation, one I have been talking about on here for awhile now. When Martinez gets going straight, it is very difficult to catch him, and that's where he is dangerous. Remember that nice 15+ yard run against PSU? Zone read, he saw the hole and took the ball straight with no shiftiness required. Then, when you watch him have to make a guy miss, his acceleration drops dramatically and he struggles.

This is also evident when the pocket breaks down. Martinez has shown signs of improvement at times this year, but when the pocket breaks down he stutter steps and looks like a stationary cat toy bobbling back and forth, until he ultimate gets taken down.

Again, however, I have seen times this year where he has improved. He got an important first down against tOSU with his feet, and he also stayed alive to get that pass to Burkhead for a touchdown. He's improving, but I believe this is where Martinez needs to get better most. Not his mechanics, not his passing, not his speed - his vision and elusiveness.

The one thing I have started to see that concerns me is how he seems to work himself toward the pressure in the pass rush. Even in some of his runs it almost looks like he is missing some 'vision' of the field.

The commentators diagrammed the most egregious of those against Michigan on Saturday. The hole was pretty obvious, and he didn't hit it. Really disappointing to see that.

This is an excellent observation, one I have been talking about on here for awhile now. When Martinez gets going straight, it is very difficult to catch him, and that's where he is dangerous. Remember that nice 15+ yard run against PSU? Zone read, he saw the hole and took the ball straight with no shiftiness required. Then, when you watch him have to make a guy miss, his acceleration drops dramatically and he struggles.

This is also evident when the pocket breaks down. Martinez has shown signs of improvement at times this year, but when the pocket breaks down he stutter steps and looks like a stationary cat toy bobbling back and forth, until he ultimate gets taken down.

Again, however, I have seen times this year where he has improved. He got an important first down against tOSU with his feet, and he also stayed alive to get that pass to Burkhead for a touchdown. He's improving, but I believe this is where Martinez needs to get better most. Not his mechanics, not his passing, not his speed - his vision and elusiveness.

I don't see Taylor as an elusive running QB like Robinson, Thomas (Oregon), Wilson, or Miller. Taylor is a straight line runner. When he has to make a cut he loses most of his speed. The couple times this year and last I saw him try to make a cut inside on a defender he loses footing or falls down.

I don't see Taylor as an elusive running QB like Robinson, Thomas (Oregon), Wilson, or Miller. Taylor is a straight line runner. When he has to make a cut he loses most of his speed. The couple times this year and last I saw him try to make a cut inside on a defender he loses footing or falls down.

We've seen Taylor make cuts at speed, they're just not happening anymore, or at least not for quite a while. I don't remember the last time he was shifty while running.

It seems to me he's playing too much in his head, not letting the game just happen. Thinking too much will paralyze a guy.

We've seen him makes moves last year. He has the capability, but everyone-coaches included-are so caught up with him staying healthy and our season resting on that health, that when he gets into or against traffic his first option becomes get down or out as opposed to upfield. Cant say i disagree. What good would the extra 10-20 yards or TD be if he's out for the year. Here comes the hypocrisy however. Ive never complained once about Carnes not getting in a game late this year until Saturday. Martinez in the game till the end in Saturday's situation was just absurd. He was taking hits and punishment throughtout.

Martinez is showing some pretty good instincts but you can see him hearing two voices in his head:

1) Don't get hurt. This makes him run very differently than he did last year.

2) Be patient in the pocket, don't be too quick to run. This makes Taylor plant his feet and keep waiting for someone to get open. He doesn't seem to realize that it's okay to step up and avoid a collapsing pocket before they're right on top of you. And sometimes he's got a huge lane to run and he doesn't take it, determined to make the throw.

I think the more the coaches trust Taylor - and the more he earns their trust - the more they'll back off. I know it's small consolation, but I really think this season bodes well for a much improved junior season from Taylor Martinez, and I honestly wasn't sure he'd still be on the team this season.

Its like he has relied on his speed for so long that he hasn't progressed to where he needs to be at this level. Hope he wants to play receiver, its his omly chance in the pros.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Its like he has relied on his speed for so long that he hasn't progressed to where he needs to be at this level. Hope he wants to play receiver, its his omly chance in the pros.

T_O_B

G>B>R

no the broncos will draft him to play qb and he will split time with tebow! :ahhhhhhhh

• Fire 1

Check out Martinez's first two years compared to some other bum quarterbacks that used to play for Nebraska.

5759786_orig.jpg

Stats are nice, but don't really tell you much unfortunately. Could you put Jamal Lords numbers in there. I believe his numbers compared very will to Crouch's Heisman season, but I don't think anyone would make the argument that Lord was as good a Crouch.

Lord's numbers, quite the running back... He didn't start until he was a Junior so his Junior/Senior numbers are here. For all of the talk about how bad Taylor's throwing motion is, he is much better at completing passes than past QBs. I don't think most of us remember how truly awful the QBs used to be at passing.

6352006.jpg?628