Rumblings of Player Transfer

Landlord

I thought this was interesting. Perhaps Brion just has difficulty making decisions and sticking with them?

http://www.omaha.com...RED03/100139970 He accepted a scholarship offer from Western Kentucky and then....

http://www.zimbio.com/Brion+Carnes He came here!

I'm glad he's here and I hope that he will stay and grow. These young men are just that...young. It's difficult to come from a high school where you were the star player and then come to the college level and see that there are others who are just as good if not better than you are, who have had the advantage of being in the NU system for a couple of years and on the scout team before that (Martinez). I hope that Brion takes a good long time to evaluate his situation before making a decision that could come back and bite him in the end. I hope he takes some time to talk with his cousin Tommy Frazier. Tommy knows what it means to be a back up qb (although Tommy did get to play when the other qb wasn't getting it done!) I also agree with others that he really does need to get a chance to play, especially since Martinez has been hobbling about. However, having said that, I don't know how this young man operates on a daily basis. Maybe he just isn't getting it. It's one thing to be athletic, it's another to be athletic and learn/apply the mechanics of a new team. Be well, Brion-I hope you stay right here. it would be great to watch you grow!

I have nothing but good things to say about Brion Carnes. Selfishly, I want him to stay and remain a Husker. But he could transfer and start elsewhere - and you can't blame him. The kid has legit skills. If he could move on and move up, I don't blame him.

But I love the guy. Would kill to have him stay in Lincoln.

knapp - why the changed tune on Brion? I remember last offseason or earlier this season you were saying we have no idea if he is good or not because we haven't really seen him and only had practice "reports" to go on. And obviously, we didn't really see a whole lot of him this year. Just curious, I echo your sentiments but you appear much more confident about him now, even more so than I am.

But Brion. Seriously. Stay. If you're not going somewhere guaranteed to start, you'll be making a mistake. There is no place like Nebraska.

Seriously. And if you are going to be guaranteed to start, don't take it. That's a sure sign of a snake oil salesman.

You're a redshirt freshman. If you're good, then keeping on doing what you're doing is the way to get there.

I disagree, you can blame Carnes if it happens. This is an instant gratification society we live in. No longer is anyone willing to work harder to earn a job or get better. They all expect it to be given to them. You see it at all levels, kids transfer schools in high school because the grass is greener somewhere else. Happens all the time. Sorry but these are future leaders of our world and if they don't get what they want right away they either quit or they go somewhere else rather than sucking it up and doing what it takes to get better. No loyalty what-so-ever, it's all about "me".

But is Bo playing the better athletes rather than the people who are less talented but know the system more? You can't replace athletic ability.

Yes you can replace athletic ability to a certain extent. You can be the best athlete in the world but if you can't remember who to give the ball too, or which way to turn, etc. you're useless. The best player is one that is athletic AND smart. The best athlete works most of the time in high school, but sorry, at the D1 college level, they have to be able to learn assignments too because the guys on the other side are equally as talented, unlike many times in high school.

I believe this is the very reason Brion and Jamal are on the bench.

I have nothing but good things to say about Brion Carnes. Selfishly, I want him to stay and remain a Husker. But he could transfer and start elsewhere - and you can't blame him. The kid has legit skills. If he could move on and move up, I don't blame him.

But I love the guy. Would kill to have him stay in Lincoln.

knapp - why the changed tune on Brion? I remember last offseason or earlier this season you were saying we have no idea if he is good or not because we haven't really seen him and only had practice "reports" to go on. And obviously, we didn't really see a whole lot of him this year. Just curious, I echo your sentiments but you appear much more confident about him now, even more so than I am.

I have never changed my tune about Carnes. You can't watch the guy practice and not realize he has skills. We recruited him for a reason. But those conversations you're referencing were to the tune of "Carnes is better than Martinez" and those were simply not factual. He wasn't, and isn't. But that doesn't mean he is unskilled, and I never claimed he was/is.

I disagree, you can blame Carnes if it happens. This is an instant gratification society we live in. No longer is anyone willing to work harder to earn a job or get better. They all expect it to be given to them. You see it at all levels, kids transfer schools in high school because the grass is greener somewhere else. Happens all the time. Sorry but these are future leaders of our world and if they don't get what they want right away they either quit or they go somewhere else rather than sucking it up and doing what it takes to get better. No loyalty what-so-ever, it's all about "me".

But is Bo playing the better athletes rather than the people who are less talented but know the system more? You can't replace athletic ability.

Yes you can replace athletic ability to a certain extent. You can be the best athlete in the world but if you can't remember who to give the ball too, or which way to turn, etc. you're useless. The best player is one that is athletic AND smart. The best athlete works most of the time in high school, but sorry, at the D1 college level, they have to be able to learn assignments too because the guys on the other side are equally as talented, unlike many times in high school.

No you can't. Next you tell me you can teach talent. It's easier to correct a very atheletic player than hope your system player is good enough to handle the opposition. Look at Martinez he was tearing up Big 12 defenses running, but in the Big Ten he's stumbling cause the defenses are much better and faster than he is. Which is exactly why he really needs to work on his passing. Look at it this way. When we had Suh our defense was basically wasted cause we had no offense.