DC Candidates?

FootballScoop is reporting that neither Stoops or Zook are expected to join the staff. Unless something comes out of left field, I think we can all expect J.P. to be the DC.

have you not been paying attention, we are done worrying about little things like who our next dc will be, we are discussing more pressing matters, like kickers that used to play for us and how great/horrible they were!!!! :sarcasm

Well if it is JP, BO is making a huge mistake.I don't doubt JP is a good coach. Just don't think he is ready to be a DC.

Agreed. But expect Bo to do double duty and try to be HC and DC at the same time (again). Note I said try to be HC. Bo has so many things that he needs to improve on as HC... it takes time and effort... he does not have that time when he micromanages his DC figurehead. One of Bo's bigger problems has been with his hires. Lets hope that changes here and he brings in someone from the outside and they are given the D and Bo can shore things up at the HC position. The internal promotion would be very bad.

• Fire 1

Well if it is JP, BO is making a huge mistake.I don't doubt JP is a good coach. Just don't think he is ready to be a DC.

Agreed. But expect Bo to do double duty and try to be HC and DC at the same time (again). Note I said try to be HC. Bo has so many things that he needs to improve on as HC... it takes time and effort... he does not have that time when he micromanages his DC figurehead. One of Bo's bigger problems has been with his hires. Lets hope that changes here and he brings in someone from the outside and they are given the D and Bo can shore things up at the HC position. The internal promotion would be very bad.

This. Bo has a chance to bring in someone that will take some of the pressure off of him and stop the micromanaging of the D.

AGREE 100%

We don't need to promote JP. If we do, who does the DL, ST and recruiting. This would mean heading into year 2 with possibly all new D staff save Els and Raymond. Those guys are already losing Fonz and David. The thought of having to completely start from the ground up, is a scary proposition. Does JP know the system, sure. Proof he wil be a good DC, no. Let's go after a big name hire who can immediately come in and get things going. A big name would also help our final recruiting push.

I don't know if this has been brought up at all or not, but I'm going to say it anyways. I like Stoops from a recruiting perspective too. With Urban at OSU, we are going to need more helping pulling kids from Ohio. Stoops can do that. And look at how heavy we are over in the Arizona area. Again, Stoops can help there too. I think he is a good fit.

Here is the real question IMHO. What coach can we afford to lose as a program? Can you name one, based on last seasons performance, or for those who have been on staff since 2008. I can think of one (Bo excluded). With this in mind, it is time to go after the big names. Same as recruiting. You can recruit all the one star guys you want, attract all the walk ons etc and you are not going to win the MNC and with the coaching staffs being put together in the B1G, possibly not that either.

We need to go after coaches like we need to go after recruits. Only the best. You want to win, you go for the same guys everyone else wants. We need to stop being a training ground for guys to get experience and move on. We can't develop coaches and expect to be able to develop players. It hasn't worked well so far and I do not expect it to work anytime soon.

I don't know if this has been brought up at all or not, but I'm going to say it anyways. I like Stoops from a recruiting perspective too. With Urban at OSU, we are going to need more helping pulling kids from Ohio. Stoops can do that. And look at how heavy we are over in the Arizona area. Again, Stoops can help there too. I think he is a good fit.

So can Bo-he's from Ohio too as is Beck. Carl is from Ohio too. So we don't need Stoops to recruit kids from Ohio. Bo can do that (and has-look at our roster-lots of kids from Ohio) all by his lonesome :)

However, I like the idea of Stoops here too. It would be fun!