Is it me or...

why would teh national championship game be a good indicator? its sec vs. sec. actually id say us vs. SC will be a better litmus test to this idea that SEC teams are on par with the NFL (an exaggeration of the way everyone acts, I know).

SC is +/- the 5th best team in the SEC and the other game has the top 2...therefor, more talent.

I would actual have to say that KSU vs Ark will be the best indicator. KSU does not have very much talent, but plays solid as a team. I really think that KSU is not very good, but if they make it a game at the Cotton Bowl vs Arkansas, you would have to believe that the SEC is over hyped.

I really don't feel like you can call this years Champion a National Champion. After the way Okie Lite handled Oklahoma they sould have been put into the title game.

Oklahoma State has no one to blame but themselves. They may have "handled Oklahoma" but they also lost to 6 loss Iowa State. They didn't deserve to be in the title game.

I think Oklahoma State's resume looks a hell of a lot better than Alabama's despite losing to a 6-loss Iowa State. It was a tough way to decide who should go to New Orleans. I don't like the politics that played a minor part of who ended up where though.

why would teh national championship game be a good indicator? its sec vs. sec. actually id say us vs. SC will be a better litmus test to this idea that SEC teams are on par with the NFL (an exaggeration of the way everyone acts, I know).

SC is +/- the 5th best team in the SEC and the other game has the top 2...therefor, more talent.

I would actual have to say that KSU vs Ark will be the best indicator. KSU does not have very much talent, but plays solid as a team. I really think that KSU is not very good, but if they make it a game at the Cotton Bowl vs Arkansas, you would have to believe that the SEC is over hyped.

I really don't feel like you can call this years Champion a National Champion. After the way Okie Lite handled Oklahoma they sould have been put into the title game.

Well.... I'm guessing that if LSU wins... not only will they be hailed as legitimate NC's --- they will likely be heralded as the best of all time. We, especially as Husker fans (in view of 71 and 95 Huskers) want none of that... lets all yell "Roll Tide"

I doubt LSU will be called the best of all time. No way.

There will be talk, and it will be legitimate talk. They obliterated every team except 'Bama in Tuscaloosa. They played the toughest schedule that I have ever seen in CFB. If they beat Bama by a decent margin (17-21 points or more) then I think they rightfully deserve that kind of discussion.

And Holtz forgets that the '71 team had a very balanced offense. They passed the ball quite a bit.

But this should remind Husker fans that the rest of the country might look upon ESPN as biased in favor of Nebraska, as opposed to the paranoid take often bandied about here.

Those 2001 Miami Hurricanes probably would have mopped up the '71 Huskers based on 30 years of size, speed and sophistication. So Herbstriet isn't exactly whining. He has a point.

But in their day - beating the second, third and fourth rated teams - the '71 Huskers earned their due.

If you go by that, then LSU deserves to be considered.

They have played the toughest schedule I think by far. Far tougher than the one we played in 95. They have beaten Oregon #3 Bama #2 Bama#2 Auburn #19 Arkansas #3 Georgia #8 Florida #17 West Virginia #16.

This is a great team if they beat Bama again. One of the best for sure.

And Holtz forgets that the '71 team had a very balanced offense. They passed the ball quite a bit.

But this should remind Husker fans that the rest of the country might look upon ESPN as biased in favor of Nebraska, as opposed to the paranoid take often bandied about here.

Those 2001 Miami Hurricanes probably would have mopped up the '71 Huskers based on 30 years of size, speed and sophistication. So Herbstriet isn't exactly whining. He has a point.

But in their day - beating the second, third and fourth rated teams - the '71 Huskers earned their due.

I've often said the same thing. And I've started calling it football inflation. Comparing a 1971 football time to a 2001 football time is like comparing 1971 dollars to 2001 dollars. You need to factor in a certain amount of inflation for an apples-to-apples comparison. The best O-linemen in 1971 weighed maybe 240 or 250. Today's linemen are seldom under 290 or 300. I suspect it's the same with speed and agility to some extent.

• Fire 1

I've often said the same thing. And I've started calling it football inflation. Comparing a 1971 football time to a 2001 football time is like comparing 1971 dollars to 2001 dollars. You need to factor in a certain amount of inflation for an apples-to-apples comparison. The best O-linemen in 1971 weighed maybe 240 or 250. Today's linemen are seldom under 290 or 300. I suspect it's the same with speed and agility to some extent.

I've said the same thing many times, but I've never heard the term "football inflation." It's a great phrase, and it totally fits.

1971 Nebraska would have demolished just about every team to ever take the field before WWII, including the Four Horsemen teams, the great Ivy League teams, and all those "national champions" fielded by Minnesota and Michigan in the first half of the last century. Not that those aren't great teams - it's just that with better nutrition, better training, better overall everything, 1971 Nebraska had all the advantages. Humans - especially football players - are just bigger these days.

Every fan base thinks ESPN is biased against them - at least, that's my experience after rolling around through various forums on the interwebz. Thing is, in Nebraska's case, it's TRUE. ;)

The fan base that claims bias against them from ESPN the most, from my experience, is Ohio State's. And if you read their logic, they may just be right. Way too much to get into here, but there's a case to be made there.

I think if LSU wins they'll DEFINITELY be talked about as the greatest team of all time. And Kirk Herbstreit will be leading that charge, to erase the horror of 95 Nebraska and 71 Nebraska finishing in the top of that bogus ESPN thing.

That hour or however long it was program was a joke. It proved how over kill Husker fans can and will be. If you remember in the "semi-finals" the '71 team was getting beat by a decent margin(to the 01 Hurricane team I believe) and Kirk or one of the other talking heads made a crack about the Husker internet voters not votin up their team and then all hell broke loose. They did essentially bring it on themselves. Then didn't help their cause by continuing to crack on Nebraska, something along the lines about "a slow night in Nebraska, or they just must have gotten the internet(the normal knocks). So as I said ESPN brought the hate upon themselves as did the Nebraska fanbase.

And personally for the record 2001 Miami>71 NU.