Anyone getting nervous yet?

I am concerned. I wonder how much of it is the kids and how much is the parents? I just wonder if Bo's reputation as a hothead isn't starting to take its toll on recruiting.

If this was a "serious" concern, then Notre Dame and Florida should never be able to pull in a big name recruit. Bo was a choir boy compared to Kelly and Muschamp this fall.

You don't earn a reputation after a single season. Definately not a national reputation that would impact recruiting. And Kelly coachs at ND, Muschamp at Florida. I could recruit a top-25 class to each of those schools. I've honestly wondered about this myself - almost included it in my post up above but chose to leave it out. There is such a fine line when it comes to recruiting...the margin for error is nill. A recruit on the fence, is going to weigh this as a factor in their decision. It will be lumped into the "do I want to play for this guy" section likely. It might be #20 on their "Pelini pro/con list", but it's not on the positive side of that list for us.

Hypothetically speaking - let's say you're a parent of a recruit. You decide to Google his future head coach should he choose the Huskers. You'll find a profile on Huskers.com, Bo's wiki page, some images...then 2 youtube videos. 34 seconds of Bo chewing a$$ on Taylor, and 2 minutes of edited Bo rants all squished together. After that there are hundreds of Pelini vids related. That should form a great impression on a parent.

Unfotunately these aren't isolated incidents, over a shot period of time. To say they have 'zero' impact on a recruit (and their family's) decision is naive IMO. I agree it's not "serious", but unfortunately this is something that is going against us...the impact it has is probably individual to each recruit/family.

Bo did

naw, Bo didn't have a reputation when he came here like he does today. When he came here he'd already gone off on one of the legendary Big12 coaches at mid-field in 03'. That didn't get him a rep. Early into his first season he completely went off the handle during the Virginia Tech game - but certainly didn't earn a reputation at that point. He earned his during the Texas game in 09'. He further cemented it during the A&M game. Now it will take him the better part of a decade and perhaps a couple calmly won championships to undo what he did during 6-7 games accross 4 seasons.

• Fire 1

Nebraska now has the best recruiting class in the big ten when it comes to average stars according to rivals... no need to hit the panic button yet.

And #8 in the country. If you're going to put together a small class, that's the way to do it, I suppose.

except the class could likely be as big as 20. last year we thought 16...Gilmore even stated that as the number. 20 or 21 was the final tally. Ultimately it's a numbers game. While we certainly have a better opportunity with the players we currently have on board, i'd feel more comfortable with a full class than a high star ranking. I'm still worried. we still have half the class to fill.

the next milestone will be January 7th. We need 13 post AA game to have any chance to reach 16ish without going Plan B on the class.

According to Rivals, we now have a 4* at all three levels on D plus a 4* on the OLine and at WR. Then we have two more 3*s at LB plus a QB and TE. Assuming we keep those guys, we've hit our areas of need pretty well with what we have.

Not nervous at the moment but we've got a lot of work left to do.

We need at least 7 more guys to hop on board. OT Peat, QB Fuller, LB Lambert, TE Iese, DE Moss, DB Ford, DT Valentine, and DB Diggs or McNeill and DB Jackson as a bonus. That puts us at 2 QB, 2 TE, 1 WR, 2 OL, 2 DE, 1 DT, 4 LB, 4 DB... which puts us at 18 for this class. Which I think is a realistic number with attrition and stuff... I think we may take Afalava as #19 but as the +3 we are allowed to oversign... and he ends up counting towards next years class as a Heard type guy (works hard to make it a year late).

If this plays out, our stars would look like this:

1 :star :star :star :star :star

9 :star :star :star :star

8 :star :star :star (with 5 as 5.7's)

This makes for a VERY solid class if we can finish out like this. Good news is if Diggs does SC, then McNeill (current Tennessee commit from Dallas) seems to be high on us as well so we have a good shot at him too.

According to Rivals, we now have a 4* at all three levels on D plus a 4* on the OLine and at WR. Then we have two more 3*s at LB plus a QB and TE. Assuming we keep those guys, we've hit our areas of need pretty well with what we have.

For reference, Alfonzo Dennard was a :star :star :star from both Scout and Rivals.

• Fire 1

For reference, Alfonzo Dennard was a :star :star :star from both Scout and Rivals.

Yeah, I'm not a huge rankings guy either but it's the best we can do for a couple years...

And Prince was a 3 star on both sites, as a RB/ATH.

And Prince was a 3 star on both sites, as a RB/ATH.

yada yada yada haha...we've still had (from a percentage standpoint) a lot more 3* and less players not pan out than we have 4* and above players not pan out. Most of the guys we get that are highly ranked turn out to be good players. Some great. We haven't really had enougn Bo recruits to get a guage on it...most of those that have finished their careers were Cally recruits...but if you look at Bo's top guys not many have lived up to their potential yet. A few (Stein, Burkhead, David, Hardrick. But a lot of others (Williams, Green, Washington, Whitmore) are either gone or riding pine.

I'm doing my best to avoid judging Pelini's recruiting just yet. This class will be disapointing (mainly due to size). But I'll give him 2 more years to develop that 10' class.

I was reading an article about Carl's new gig and picked up this little piece of candor that was shared with his new fans:

" On coaching lower caliber players than he did at Nebraska: “One thing that Nebraska really prepared me for is we didn’t have a lot of in state recruits. Ultimately we would take three or four from Texas, a couple from Florida, three or four from California, one or two from D.C., and put together a recruiting class that way. We were forced to be very meticulous and win on maybe a two or three star kid who maybe wasn’t recognized as that caliber. In my mind, that prepared me very well for this type of job and I’m not trying to go out and settling for anybody. What I’m trying to do is do my due diligence and evaluate players.” "

http://upressonline.com/2011/12/football-pelini-prepared-to-change-culture-of-1-11-team/

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit it, I am officially getting nervous now. Westerkamp and Fuller seem like ND leans and Lambert supposedly went to see Iowa in the Insight Bowl and reportedly says he knows where he is going now. Maybe everything will seem a bit better at the end of this next week after the All Star Game announcements are done, but I am not feeling as confident as last week.

I will admit it, I am officially getting nervous now. Westerkamp and Fuller seem like ND leans and Lambert supposedly went to see Iowa in the Insight Bowl and reportedly says he knows where he is going now. Maybe everything will seem a bit better at the end of this next week after the All Star Game announcements are done, but I am not feeling as confident as last week.

Sounds to me like your "feelings" are ruling your life bro. Not a fun way to live thru life ... especially on the recruiting trail.

Not sure if you're aware of this but Lambert, McMullen, Westerkamp, Afalava, Moss and a few other Nebraska targets are in Phoenix this week (have been since last week) preparing for the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl. Part of their itinerary included a group trip by bus to watch the Insight Bowl. Which was the reason why Lambert was at the game. It wasn't an isolated visit. McMullen tweeted about being at the game and said they left the stadium at the start of the 4th quarter. My guess is they had to get up early the next day for practice?