Anyone getting nervous yet?

I am concerned. I wonder how much of it is the kids and how much is the parents? I just wonder if Bo's reputation as a hothead isn't starting to take its toll on recruiting.

If this was a "serious" concern, then Notre Dame and Florida should never be able to pull in a big name recruit. Bo was a choir boy compared to Kelly and Muschamp this fall.

I'm not worried yet. If Seisay goes to Ark and CJackson doesn't make it, we will have a HUGE need at corner.

I think we are just fine though.

I agree Chi. Also NU is a place where coaching and development are a requirement. If we win and build momentum, recruiting will improve, not to say this year is a wash.

Until then the team has to capitalize on what they have, if they can't close on some guys.

Kind of a chicken/egg thing though. Michigan didn't win, and they had a top 5 class by fall-ball. Now they are in a position to win, so their sales pitch can change and it will all get easier. IMO, each marginal class makes it just a little harder for us to win. As it becomes harder to win, it becomes harder to recruit. Eventually the gaps appear, the armor gets pierced and you go 5-7, change staff and start over again.

Bo's going the JUCO route next year to make up for this year, no doubt in my mind there will be a 6-8, 3 for 3 guys to fill this gap in 2013. The question is, do we fill the 5 extra scholarships...or go w/ 80 and carry them over for a large class w/ some JUCOs next year. I'd rather have 8 top shelf JUCO guys next year, than 5 plan B recruits this year. They're essentially in the same class at that point, so why not?

I definitely agree with the point that you're conveying about Mich. However, it is difficult to compare us to them in recruiting .It's not hard for them to have a top 5 class, specifically due to their large population, coupled with its tradition. For as bad as Rich Rod was, he definitely did not leave them talent-less. For us winning (or the perception of it) could ease some uneasiness about a HS prospect leaving CA or LA, when proximity to home or overall culture would otherwise be a deterrent for top prospects, mind you with no NU ties. Finally, I agree about the top short JUCOs.

I am concerned. I wonder how much of it is the kids and how much is the parents? I just wonder if Bo's reputation as a hothead isn't starting to take its toll on recruiting.

If this was a "serious" concern, then Notre Dame and Florida should never be able to pull in a big name recruit. Bo was a choir boy compared to Kelly and Muschamp this fall.

You don't earn a reputation after a single season. Definately not a national reputation that would impact recruiting. And Kelly coachs at ND, Muschamp at Florida. I could recruit a top-25 class to each of those schools. I've honestly wondered about this myself - almost included it in my post up above but chose to leave it out. There is such a fine line when it comes to recruiting...the margin for error is nill. A recruit on the fence, is going to weigh this as a factor in their decision. It will be lumped into the "do I want to play for this guy" section likely. It might be #20 on their "Pelini pro/con list", but it's not on the positive side of that list for us.

Hypothetically speaking - let's say you're a parent of a recruit. You decide to Google his future head coach should he choose the Huskers. You'll find a profile on Huskers.com, Bo's wiki page, some images...then 2 youtube videos. 34 seconds of Bo chewing a$$ on Taylor, and 2 minutes of edited Bo rants all squished together. After that there are hundreds of Pelini vids related. That should form a great impression on a parent.

Unfotunately these aren't isolated incidents, over a shot period of time. To say they have 'zero' impact on a recruit (and their family's) decision is naive IMO. I agree it's not "serious", but unfortunately this is something that is going against us...the impact it has is probably individual to each recruit/family.

You don't earn a reputation after a single season. Definately not a national reputation that would impact recruiting. And Kelly coachs at ND, Muschamp at Florida. I could recruit a top-25 class to each of those schools. I've honestly wondered about this myself - almost included it in my post up above but chose to leave it out. There is such a fine line when it comes to recruiting...the margin for error is nill. A recruit on the fence, is going to weigh this as a factor in their decision. It will be lumped into the "do I want to play for this guy" section likely. It might be #20 on their "Pelini pro/con list", but it's not on the positive side of that list for us.

Hypothetically speaking - let's say you're a parent of a recruit. You decide to Google his future head coach should he choose the Huskers. You'll find a profile on Huskers.com, Bo's wiki page, some images...then 2 youtube videos. 34 seconds of Bo chewing a$$ on Taylor, and 2 minutes of edited Bo rants all squished together. After that there are hundreds of Pelini vids related. That should form a great impression on a parent.

Unfotunately these aren't isolated incidents, over a shot period of time. To say they have 'zero' impact on a recruit (and their family's) decision is naive IMO. I agree it's not "serious", but unfortunately this is something that is going against us...the impact it has is probably individual to each recruit/family.

Bo did

I for one would love for Bo to coach my son and keep him in line. I guess its all in how you were raised. There are plenty of families out there that raise their children with "tough love" and dont hand their children everything...make them work for everything they have....that would be just fine with Bo. It may have an effect on a few, but i really wouldnt want them on my team anyway, chances are they have been babied their whole life and are used to things being given to them their whole lives.

Ah, the annual early Dec. "our recruiting is not going well" if the class is small or "guys are going to decommit" if the class is large. Relax, guys. While recruiting is important, it's not the only thing. And a single class isn't going to bring down the whole program.

Regardless, I still think we'll close with a few of the "big" names on our board and that should be enough. This was never going to be that big of a class anyway. Let's beat eUSC and then find out what happens in recruiting.

Ah, the annual early Dec. "our recruiting is not going well" if the class is small or "guys are going to decommit" if the class is large. Relax, guys. While recruiting is important, it's not the only thing. And a single class isn't going to bring down the whole program.

Regardless, I still think we'll close with a few of the "big" names on our board and that should be enough. This was never going to be that big of a class anyway. Let's beat eUSC and then find out what happens in recruiting.

I agree that we are not dead in the water, maybe we can get one or two of our A list players and we all can step away from the edge lol However I do disagree with you on how important recruiting classes are, this isnt the 80-90's anymore. With other teams in our conference doing well having a sub par glass will eventually catch up with us in the future, how far is up to discussion. Yes we have talent in the locker room, young good talent but you must continue bringing in talent whether large class or small and seing that it doesnt sound like a big class is coming next year either we must keep pace the best we can or the other schools will continue making the gap bigger and we cant afford that IMHO Lets just hope our guys like Rose and others can continue in the ears of these guys and maybe a good game against uSC so we can finish strong if not who knows lol GOBIGRED