Sports Journalism hits a new low.

They write this crap because it is what people want.

"People" are stupid. "People" are the lowest common denominator. "People" will eat a sh#t sandwich and smile if it diverts them from their daily lives. Writing to please "people" is why we have tabloid journalism rather than actual news today. It's why ESPN is rabidly consumed by the masses as if it's real sports information.

Journalists are supposed to be like offensive linemen - you either never know their name, or you learn their name because they are 1) Superlative at their job, or 2) they are horrendous at their job. We have examples of both in Nebraska sports journalism. I can guarantee you that nobody who fits description #1 is going to write the alleged article coming out.

• Fire 2

"People" are stupid. "People" are the lowest common denominator. "People" will eat a sh#t sandwich and smile if it diverts them from their daily lives. Writing to please "people" is why we have tabloid journalism rather than actual news today. It's why ESPN is rabidly consumed by the masses as if it's real sports information.

Journalists are supposed to be like offensive linemen - you either never know their name, or you learn their name because they are 1) Superlative at their job, or 2) they are horrendous at their job. We have examples of both in Nebraska sports journalism. I can guarantee you that nobody who fits description #1 is going to write the alleged article coming out.

These people are riding unicorns over rainbows......They don't exist anymore.

+1 for the analogy. That's possibly the best metaphor for journalists that I've ever heard.

For the record....our AP writer for Nebraska football along with another OWH reporter are wanting to write a negative story on Bo in the up coming days. I say wanting because they are calling boosters and asking loaded questions that are in a negative slant to serve the purpose of the story. One guy is already stating he was not asked a single positive question about Bo in the 10 minutes he talked to this reporter and he pointed it out to the guy. I can't believe these guys call themselves reporters doing that crap and I wish UNL would set up more Randy York stuff and send it out daily to the news papers to counter act this type of crap. They are being very specific and trying to generate a negative response. As a former journalist, stuff like this pisses me off. These two guys are going out of their way to try and create hate for a public individual that can't even legally protect himself. And they wonder why they get short, sh#t answers when they ask them.

Please remember this when you're reading the "spin" from a couple of guys with no journalistic integrity what so ever.

Whats your point? The two major papers (well 1.25) should sunshine pump the Program at all costs? Bo has issues, maybe those need to be talked about, the public mind set a little riled up right now, and the OWH is going to feed into that. Both the LJS and OWH have been (rightly) accused of eating out of UNL's hand, maybe the OWH wants to change the status quo a little...

If you are connected as you claim to be, you know the media has sat on at least one story about Bo's behaviour off the field, and ignored the 500 pound gorilla that was Carls home life, that was the worst kept secret in Lancaster county, and not one word from either. In the end people should be able to understand a hit piece, if that is truley what it is. Should the OWH go out of its way to bash Bo, no, but if a negative article can create usefull discussion, then it might not be a bad thing.

how does a negative article generate useful discussion? that would be a first!

As is the case on this board, negative discussion makes a person defend their positions. A person makes a statement about Bo's temper, and you fight back that his passion and dedication to the players, offsets his anger issues. If all we hear is the drumbeat of the Media relations department you get lulled into the sunshine pumpers realm where everything is just fine. If you like Bo tell me why, not just “well he seems to be doing a good job, for the most part” defend what you believe, and other will challenge you, in the end a good thing.

The OP is very vague on what the OWH is doing. What kind of negative? What is a leading question, most questions lead you somewhere. Is it because they are going negative on Bo, and he is a huge Bo supporter? Bo has gotten tons of bad press in the last year or so, the aTm mess, random blow-ups, etc. I think a frank discussion about him (or any coach) and his program is a good thing, maybe we find out something about him, or maybe its just some pumped up piece of trash with no real merit. If it’s the latter I think its gets tossed and forgotten, if it’s the former maybe people will learn a few things…. Or maybe I’m drinking….

In regard to 1620's comments on the OP, they also pointed out that reporters also called around to boosters to gauge their feelings after the A&M blowup last year. Nothing really came of that. I'm guessing this is something similar. Even if the questions asked of the boosters are loaded, they aren't required to give loaded answers. Let's not start burning down your local newspapers just yet.

+1 (a lot more if possible). Couldn't agree more.

In regard to 1620's comments on the OP, they also pointed out that reporters also called around to boosters to gauge their feelings after the A&M blowup last year. Nothing really came of that. I'm guessing this is something similar. Even if the questions asked of the boosters are loaded, they aren't required to give loaded answers. Let's not start burning down your local newspapers just yet.

well you know what they say: ......" don't insult the midwife as long as you can give birth"

No one should be surprised. I've relegated "journalists" to the dregs of the sh*t pile. I started to lose respect for them years ago when they made a conscious decision to "make' the news rather than report it.

It's also noteworthy that many of the better ones have "progressed" to electronic media, this fulfilling the adage of the "Peter Principal"

I listened to the first 13 minutes of USC today, hoping to hear them talk about this issue. Then they started talking about how South Park's Penn State jokes were "too soon" and that they weren't funny, and I thought to myself, "Why am I listening to a show where the co-hosts are too stupid to understand South Park?"

igiveup.jpg

OWH does seem to have it out for Bo, which is disappointing because I usually like to read their stuff.... One of the few that I don't care for as a writer is Lee Barfknect; here is a nice shot that he took at Bo and/or Raymond in his blog....

http://sports.omaha....assy-in-defeat/

say what you want, he sounds like a coache's coach.

There is more then one way to "coach up" a team, and I have no problem with what Bo said after the game, it wouldn't hurt the players to take some level of accountability.... Bo's system works, he has proven that, so now he needs the players.... What Coach Raymond did was out of line, and he took it a little far, not to mention he was wrong....

Who cares?

Man.. you guys bring homer and butt hurt to the whole next level. Who cares if they want to write a negative story about Bo. He hasnt really done much to deserve glowing words. He has this program at a middle of the pack level and his attitude makes the program look worse.

I swear some husker fans get so butt hurt if any journalist says a negative word about the Huskers. IT IS TEHRE JOB TO GIVE BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN! Dirk, Kugler and many others are Husker fans but they arent going to blow smoke up everyones backsides.

Do you really need to create a thread saying journalism is negative cause it isnt all rainbows and ponies?

freaking homers.

• Fire 2

I listened to the first 13 minutes of USC today, hoping to hear them talk about this issue. Then they started talking about how South Park's Penn State jokes were "too soon" and that they weren't funny, and I thought to myself, "Why am I listening to a show where the co-hosts are too stupid to understand South Park?"

igiveup.jpg

Kugs and Severe are great... If you cant handle their humor.. That is on you.

Who cares?

Man.. you guys bring homer and butt hurt to the whole next level. Who cares if they want to write a negative story about Bo. He hasnt really done much to deserve glowing words. He has this program at a middle of the pack level and his attitude makes the program look worse.

I swear some husker fans get so butt hurt if any journalist says a negative word about the Huskers. IT IS TEHRE JOB TO GIVE BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN! Dirk, Kugler and many others are Husker fans but they arent going to blow smoke up everyones backsides.

Do you really need to create a thread saying journalism is negative cause it isnt all rainbows and ponies?

freaking homers.

The OWH seems to favor writing stories that negatively reflect on the program.... I understand that Bo hasn't won any championships yet, but 38 wins in 4 years is something that very few coaches in the country can claim.... The OWH, more than others, seems to take Bo's "conversational style" with the media to heart, and it shows in their reporting.... "Giving both sides of the coin" would be a nice change for the OWH....