How would YOU fix this Defense?

1. Bo needs to do some self reflection and determine whether his complex scheme is the right fit for college kids. Remember, BC's scheme "worked", but that didn't make it work (wins and losses, and BC got fired). Even with DOMINANT Ds in 2009 and 2010, Bo neither got to a BCS game nor won a CCG.

2. Regarding #1, it comes down to Bo's pride and arrogance, even TO came to realize that he needed to change (move to option O, change to a 4-3). Being able to swallow pride and adapt is a mark of a real CEO/HC.

3. Can you get talent onto the field and put them into a position to make plays? This reflects both #1 and #2. It is a question not only of accepting a player's weakness and playing to their strengths, but moreover, of player development overall.

4. Pass Rush

In regards to number 1, Bo didn't have an offense that could take that defense to a BCS game or a conference championship so it's entirely unfair to expect that you're going to achieve those goals with a abysmal offense. I think Bo needs to become a CEO like you alluded to and I think that the maybe we're trying to progress towards him becoming a CEO but it's a process and we're not quite there yet.

Anybody notice how Musberger said that Saban didn't turn his eyes away from the defensive side of the ball once in bowl preparation? It may have been an exaggeration but I don't buy into the thought that the coach has to be a CEO and hand every phase of the game off to the coordinators.

Like the old ball coach said, the reason he got to be a head coach was because of his ability to run an offense, so it would be silly to hand that off to the coordinators entirely. Even TO ran the offensive side of the ball.

As a Nebraska fan, as long as Bo is the head coach, I want him running the defense, or at the very least, having a lot of input and the final say. He has proved throughout his career that he is one of the premeir defensive minds in all of college football, and the defense will be a machine once recruiting and everything gets set in place in the next couple years.

Fixing the defense? Simple. Watch a tape of Alabama and say, "OK boys, go do that."

Alabama has second and third stringers more talented than our starters.

That said, we know it's possible here because of 2009 and 2010.

Yep. Makes you sick watching them and then thinking about the talent on our team.

This idea could have it's own thread, but it's one of those borderline maybe a thread or maybe just a post-worthy idea.

For all those who think that it's just the coach who matters and blah blah this and blah blah that, look at some of these mad genius national championship winning offensive coordinators who are going to a different school this year and see how well they do.

Gus Malzahn is going from Auburn to Arkansas State

McElwain is going from Alabama to Colorado State

Let's see how well these guys do.

Serious question and not meant to attack - what point are you trying to make?

This idea could have it's own thread, but it's one of those borderline maybe a thread or maybe just a post-worthy idea.

For all those who think that it's just the coach who matters and blah blah this and blah blah that, look at some of these mad genius national championship winning offensive coordinators who are going to a different school this year and see how well they do.

Gus Malzahn is going from Auburn to Arkansas State

McElwain is going from Alabama to Colorado State

Let's see how well these guys do.

Serious question and not meant to attack - what point are you trying to make?

Haha, I suppose none...

The rest of this post is under construction: detour-sign.jpg

How about those Broncos?!?!

• Fire 1

Had too many walk-ons playing a ton at db. Now way Osborne, PJ, Mitchell, and SJB should've seen so much pine. Bo needs to get these guys coached-up and in there. Remains to be seen if Raymond is the guy, Marvin seemed to develop db's better.

We need to get more pressure up-front, maye cut guys loose more. Seems like we lose containment a fair amount even with the conservative rush scheme.

Our inability to handle mobile qb's needs to be addressed, use a spy if you have to.

On the plus side we played a ton without Crick this season. Rome got some good experience and we have everybody back at DE. Line should be improved.

We have a good number of starters back and a couple 4*'s JUCO's to add immediate help where we had our two big losses. We'll have a year under our belts in the 10 and will know what to expect. I think we'll be be a little better.

Where the team should see improvement is on O.

This gets alot better alot faster if our front can get off blocks and make plays like you saw in the championship game. That's what made the biggest impression on me , was the way both teams d-lines got off blocks to make tackles at or near the line of scrimmage. Makes the back half that more efficient when they aren't making tackles on runs up the gut 7 yards from the line.

1) Recruit top notch athletes aka 4 and 5* players.

2) Change to an attacking defense where the DE's can rush more instead of playing contain. Yes, mobile QB's need to be "contained" but MSU (and VT to a large degree) showed how you contain a big time "mobile QB" like Denard.

3) Recruit.

4) Get better DL play. I guess the hiring of Kaczyinski is a step....

5) Recruit.

I'm sure Bo's been picking up the 3 stars and walkons just out of spite. 4 and 5 star players, hell that's not asking for much.

think we lower taxes and get fuel back to a buck a gallon while we're at it.

That's not the point. Or maybe you just can't comprehend. The statement about Bo's recruiting is that he's either not involved as much or just plain SUCKS at it.

Again, how many guys that Bo's recruited out of HS have become difference makers? Rex? Please. Rex is good/decent for the garbage offense we run now but don't tell me that Oregon, MI or WI are salivating over Rex. Other than Rex and maybe Bell.... there's no one who seems to be a great player that would match up with teams in the top 10. No one.

Looking at Stanford, Oregon, MI, OkieLite. Hell, even WVA and Clemson is embarrassing. Our talent level is MAC-worthy. Cory Raymond pretty much eluded to that.

AUSTINHUSKER PLEASE READ:

I don't come around here as often as I did, mainly because of a certain group of people, but that is neither here nor there.

From just reading a few of your posts I can tell that you don't have a very good grip on what is really happening within our football program at NU. I have followed recruiting religiously since the 2007 class and I can assure you that since the later part of 2010, we have the right people in the right places as far as recruiting goes. Hence the finish to the 2010 class and the full 2011 class. To claim that Bo has not learned anything in regards to how to recruit is plain ignorant. We lost a lot of players from that 2008 class that were committed to Callahan. That would have given Bo around 2 months tops to recruit and he still pulled Dennard from Georgia. Those kids would have been Juniors/Seniors this year. We lost Dan Hoch, Bryce Givens, Tevor Robinson, and Riley Reiff. A lot of people forget Reiff was actually committed to us first. Do you think that would have helped this year if Bo had more time?