Bama/LSU Title Game produces lowest TV ratings in the BCS Era

knapplc

From another board, some previous ratings to take into account:

The Alabama-LSU regular season game in November drew a 11.9 rating and 18 million viewers.

Here are the last three BCS title game ratings:

2011 championship game between Auburn and Oregon on ESPN: 15.3 rating, 27.3 million viewers.

2010 championship game between Alabama and Texas on ABC: 17.2 rating, 30.2 million viewers.

2009 championship game between Florida and Oklahoma on FOX: 15.8 rating, 26.8 million viewers.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/01/09/bcs-championship-predict-the-tv-ratings-for-alabama-vs-lsu/

Ratings came out for last night's game. All-time low for the BCS Era.

The All-SEC affair, the first championship pairing teams from the same conference, drew a 13.8 overnight rating on ESPN. The previous record low was a 14.3 for Miami-Nebraska at the 2002 Rose Bowl.

LINK

Since Nebraska was the first BCS era team to play in a national title game without winning their conference, it makes sense why it didn't register high TV ratings at the time. The casual CFB fan couldn't get excited about watching a 1-loss Nebraska team whose last game before the national title game was a blowout loss to Colorado. Can't say I blame them either. Which is why last night's ratings isn't surprising.

No surprise...I fell asleep during the 3rd quarter. The 3rd quarter...of the BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. It was a shame I didn't fall asleep sooner to avoid seeing the SEC commercial about us watching history.

You could say that we did watch history though, in a different way. We watched probably the worst national championship game in history last night. That was pathetic.

Those are just overnight numbers and will more than likely go up a little. That's still well over 20 million people that watched the game. Pretty decent if you ask me.

I don't know if that's decent as on average NFL game's this season drew this many people, for a "championship" game that's pretty bad. College football bowl ratings have dropped again and it seems the sport is doing quite a job at making itself not very relevant. Moving bowl games to ESPN didn't help and the ratings on ESPN are lower then last years ESPN average. There just is not much excitement in post season. There is always controversy and much of the country tunes out mostly irrelevant games and a half-assed finale.

Those are just overnight numbers and will more than likely go up a little. That's still well over 20 million people that watched the game. Pretty decent if you ask me.

I don't know if that's decent as on average NFL game's this season drew this many people, for a "championship" game that's pretty bad. College football bowl ratings have dropped again and it seems the sport is doing quite a job at making itself not very relevant. Moving bowl games to ESPN didn't help and the ratings on ESPN are lower then last years ESPN average. There just is not much excitement in post season. There is always controversy and much of the country tunes out mostly irrelevant games and a half-assed finale.

Thus...........the new interest by the commissioners in "tweaking" the system.....................

Years of bitching by the fans got no one's attention..................................hemorrhaging money with a new contract coming up soon does...............

From another board, some previous ratings to take into account:

The Alabama-LSU regular season game in November drew a 11.9 rating and 18 million viewers.

Here are the last three BCS title game ratings:

2011 championship game between Auburn and Oregon on ESPN: 15.3 rating, 27.3 million viewers.

2010 championship game between Alabama and Texas on ABC: 17.2 rating, 30.2 million viewers.

2009 championship game between Florida and Oklahoma on FOX: 15.8 rating, 26.8 million viewers.

http://thebiglead.co...alabama-vs-lsu/

reason being, "we've seen this movie'