NU moving to a 3-4 defense?

C N Red

As far as Jim Rome....the guy is irritating! I can listen to his "clones" verbiage for about 5 mins then I have to find something to cleanse my ears.

Yeah, Rome can be a pain at times. But he seems to like Nebraska. Done quite a few Husker interviews over the years. And he always seems respectful when he does them--unlike some of his interviews.

Don't think we have the Size on the D-line to run a 3-4. We do have the linebackers though.

Are you sure about us having the LB to run a 3-4? Personally I don't think we do. We have depth at the LB spot, but a lot of that depth leaves next year and aside from Compton, Roach, Fisher and Whaley, no one else really has seen the field on the defensive side of the ball.

I don't see Bo or JP changing to a 3-4 defense at least within the next couple of seasons. We need better talent at the defensive end and linebacker spots after the 2012 season to really incorporate the 3-4 system.

Don't forget about Satos and the Juco LB Anderson. You are probably right though, since neither are proven as of yet.

Now, I'm not sure if Green Bay ran a 3-4 when Bo was there or not, but with the kind of recruiting we seem to be doing it got me thinking.

I'm not sure either because Bo was there way back in the day. However, Green Bay's 3-4 is a recent development. Their DC was the secondaries coach at New England until a couple years ago, '08 or '09, when the Pack made the switch. I remember they had a strong DE, Aaron Kampman, that they moved to OLB as a result of the switch. Didn't work out that well and he's no longer with the team.

We were pretty average at LB outside of Lavonte. I don't think we were able to get 3 guys reliably, although Whaley maybe makes na argument. Meanwhile, we are probably still 4-deep at DT after graduation, not including freshmen and redshirt freshmen.

Now we lose Lavonte, and I just don't see a switch to the 3-4.

I guess you can argue kicking a DT or two outside, and we do have a big LB class this year and a couple promising guys from last. However, I don't think Bo really has any history with the 3-4, so it would be surprising. I think the recruiting is more about making up for prior misses at the position. We really are going to need LB help, soon.

1. We don't have the physical presence that is vitally needed at nose tackle. We do have a pair of pretty good DT's, but we don't have a nose tackle.

2. Rush DE's are key and Meredith and Martin might be OK, but I don't see it.

3. We don't have linebackers. We need a strong linebacking group, which is the exact opposite of what we have right now.

Absolutely zero chance.

How bout we get really good at the defense we're running now!!!

A 3-4 isn't much of a stretch from what Nebraska is doing now with a 2 gap. In fact, a 3-4 would cover more gaps than a 4-3 stack, in a 2-gap scheme. It seems like that in my estimation.

I'm just an idiot though.

You're right though. A 3-4 adds one more playmaker so that we can actually play 8-on-11 instead of just 7-on-11