SIGNED LB Josh Banderas

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Apologize if this has been covered, but (not being privy to the inner workings of the ranking services)................what does Banderas have to do to be listed as a 5 star?

Is it all about the level of competition?

Otherwise it seems as if his senior year is exceeding expectations........

Apologize if this has been covered, but (not being privy to the inner workings of the ranking services)................what does Banderas have to do to be listed as a 5 star?

Can't be the competition...Baker was a 5 star

Baker was/is built like the prototypical NFL OT and started as a 5*, all he had to do was maintain that status.

To jump up takes something special your senior year. Josh has played very well this year, but I don't foresee him moving up. The "raters" have had chances to see him at camps with other top kids, so I think they are pretty set with their ratings and that they think they have him rated fairly. It would have taken record breaking numbers during the season for them to even think about moving him up, and being in Nebraska where our competition is perceived to be lesser, that may not have been enough either.

That being said, only 22 kids in America are 5* at Rivals (And only 3 LBs). That's like one 22 man team from 16,047 (according to MaxPreps). Being rated #196 puts him in the top 1.2% of all players in the nation.

I am VERY glad that he's coming to Nebraska. He's got the potential to be a great one here.

Ratings mean nothing once you step on campus. Look at Harrison Beck and Ndamukong Suh for example. Both 4 stars, and look at what happened to each one. That's why I'm excited about Josh. He's got the ceiling, and appears to be ready to work to reach it.

Baker was/is built like the prototypical NFL OT and started as a 5*, all he had to do was maintain that status.

To jump up takes something special your senior year. Josh has played very well this year, but I don't foresee him moving up. The "raters" have had chances to see him at camps with other top kids, so I think they are pretty set with their ratings and that they think they have him rated fairly. It would have taken record breaking numbers during the season for them to even think about moving him up, and being in Nebraska where our competition is perceived to be lesser, that may not have been enough either.

That being said, only 22 kids in America are 5* at Rivals (And only 3 LBs). That's like one 22 man team from 16,047 (according to MaxPreps). Being rated #196 puts him in the top 1.2% of all players in the nation.

I am VERY glad that he's coming to Nebraska. He's got the potential to be a great one here.

Ratings mean nothing once you step on campus. Look at Harrison Beck and Ndamukong Suh for example. Both 4 stars, and look at what happened to each one. That's why I'm excited about Josh. He's got the ceiling, and appears to be ready to work to reach it.

Good insight..........thanks...........

And my math was horrible on the percentile he's in. The number above is the number if you compare him to the top LB on each team in HS.

Assuming there are an average of 10 SRs on each HS team, that's 160470 players, of which he's #196. That's the top 0.12% of all HS SRs.

• 2 weeks later...

For those living in Nebraska who see Josh play... a question...

Based upon the numbers that Bandaras is putting up as a RB --- something like 10 YPC --- is there any way that he might fit in as a power running back at NU... or is his future certainly as a LBer?

I'm pretty sure the running back gig is just taking advantage of his athleticism vs high school opponents. He will be a linebacker in college and a very good one.