I'm Finding a New Team to Cheer For

You're a Husker fan and you know it, Lando. C'mon, bring it in for the hug :)

You will always get flak for not being supportive of the current staff or the way things are going, that is just how it is. In 2006, anybody down on Callahan was shooed away.

I guess the sane members of HB had not yet joined...

I think there could be a lot of things other than supporting the football team that go into being a Husker fan. What doesn't belong in that discussion is all this panty twisting about how "other" fans "feel" or" think" about Pelini- sweet screamin Jesus, what is this a Dr. Phil show?

Leave all that stuff for the women on the View to discuss - this is a game that was invented my men and played by men not some hide the sausage frathouse circle-jerk

But that's a huge basis for the OP, and one I certainly agree w/. Yesterday morning I posted in another thread about how I get frequent ridicule from friends (who are fans of other programs) regarding Pelini. It wasn't 90 minutes later, when our new executive vice president shows up at my door. Tuesday was his first day, we've had 5 total minutes of conversation since his interview prior to this. Knowing he recieved his masters and doctorate from South Carolina I knew the following conversation was coming, but I figured he'd wait more than a week. - "I heard you were a Husker fan, and since I did my graduate work at SC I watched the bowl game. You guys have a good young team coming up there. That was a fun game to watch". I responded with a few lines, we started talking - and about 45 seconds into the converstion regarding West Virginia and Holgerson (he did his undergrad there), this little nugget pops out - "So what do you guys, as Husker fans think of Bo Pelini". It took litterally 60 seconds to come up in the convo.

That is the converstion I have at nearly every bar I go to, ever party where college football gets brought up. I'm the guy that sits at the bar and can bullsh#t football w/ about anyone. My wife gets pissed because when she goes with me I end up in conversation w/ half the bar. Never fails...Pelini's name is always brought up.

People living in Nebraska may not realize this. But Pelini spawns a VERY, VERY negative reaction from most fans who don't wear a red N on their shirt. And since he's the face of the program, that's the perception of the program. It's not universal - but in the last couple of years it's gotten gradually worse. You're even beginning to see it in our own fan base now. I used to defend him to the point it was kind of ridiculous. At this point I just shake my head and say "what can you do, he wins games and as long as he's getting 9...he's our coach regardless". You may be where I was 2 years ago...but where will you be in 2 years when it continues? I never thought I'd begin to be embarassed by the guy - but what he does is pointless. The decisions he makes regarding PR are borderline insane.

As our new EVP said "I thought his head was going to explode" - what I didn't tell him is that it's Pelini's big head (ego) that are likely a large portion of our issues. Someday it will explode, he'll be humbled and he'll be a better coach because of it. TO will suspend him a game, Perlman will bench the HC. That's what it will take. Unfortunately the day that happens, will be the same day Pelini starts interviewing elsewhere. It's unfortunately that's the culture of college football today, because what needs to be done likely can't be.

And again I say we cant worry about that other people around the country form their opinions based off of 30 second snippets on ESPN. Bo was in maniac mode for all of 2 minutes if that. Public perception is something one just cannot let drive them in their daily life, and problem with society anymore is that it does.

• Fire 1

And again I say we cant worry about that other people around the country form their opinions based off of 30 second snippets on ESPN. Bo was in maniac mode for all of 2 minutes if that. Public perception is something one just cannot let drive them in their daily life, and problem with society anymore is that it does.

You think we can live inside the bubble that is Nebraska and survive? It's a business. People tend to forget that. It's what college football is today. It's why the biggest businesses are winning, and the smaller businesses are strugging. It's a very, very big deal. Public perception is important to the marketability and success of said business. It's not somethign that changes drastically from one year to the next (unless you are Penn State), but it is something that can be severely altered over time. No one can honestly say that Nebraska's image is improving.

Oh Man! I'm going to sleep good tonight! Those gif's are too funny!!!! ROFLOL! Especially the one of the little girl falling off of the treadmill. HILARIOUS!!!

Absolutely! I can't wait for another 'fan' to quit on Nebraska!

You think we can live inside the bubble that is Nebraska and survive? It's a business. People tend to forget that. It's what college football is today. It's why the biggest businesses are winning, and the smaller businesses are strugging. It's a very, very big deal. Public perception is important to the marketability and success of said business. It's not somethign that changes drastically from one year to the next (unless you are Penn State), but it is something that can be severely altered over time. No one can honestly say that Nebraska's image is improving.

exactly, only a fool would say it is not a big deal.......public perceptions, image, marketing......come on folks, wake the hell up, anyone's rep can be tarnished by a 30 second utube rant......with all the tools in social networking yeah, it is a different world out there, where perception IS everything. Bo needs to understand that and be aware, he may be his own worse enemy.

Yep, the sky is falling. Everyone panic.

None of this is happening if we win the bowl game. That's how "real" this huge, huge, huge, huge problem is that everyone is panicking about in this thread. If we win the bowl game this thread doesn't exist, people aren't quitting on the team and nobody is worried about how their friends talk about the team.

One half of bad football in a meaningless bowl game and we're gifted with an offseason of this.

I've been a fan (real or not) for 40 years. Both my children wore a Husker Jersey that had been worn on the Memorial Stadium field before they were 24 hours old. My grand babies will do the same. Have I been disappointed by games that we lost, yup, Have I bitched, pissed and moaned about the way things were going, yup, have I ever been embarrassed by a Husker football coach or team, not for one minute. Has anyone ever asked me how I felt about how a coach acted on the side lines? Not once. Have I ever ever once thought about switching my alligence to another team. "Chile please." Sorry you feel the way you do Lando but its your decision and you probably won't be missed by anyone other that the Nebraska fans you used to hang out with and tey have probably been thinking, "What's up with this Jack Ass? Why does he have to be such a wet blanket every time we watch a game (short for "What's up with this Jerk? Do we need to change watch sites?)

As for me all I can say is you'll probably want to search for a team in the SEC and...

A M F!!!

T_O_B

G>B>R

A guy I work with says his favorite team is...wait for it...whoever is doing good in the SEC. Now that, my friends, is dedication.

It has occurred to me that many in this forum may not be able to see the forest for the trees. I live in Colorado and so am able to escape the 24/7 of all things Husker that really dominate discussion in my home state of Nebraska. That is the main, possibly only, reason I frequent this board; to get my fill of Husker football. But I am not buried in it over my head. My point is, I talk a lot of sports, especially college football, with many people and I have only run across one person who has ever commented on Bo's behavior. And this comment was not a criticism or disparaging of Bo or the NU program. It was a K-State fan (a decent one, not the typical) and he thought it was ridiculus the way the TV cameras go out of their way to depict Bo in a bad light. Other than some comments on HB, that is the only mention I have ever heard of Bo's demeanor. Of course I and my local fellow Huskers talk about some of Bo's sideline antics and his facial expressions but I do not get the impression that it bothers or concerns any in my circle. FWIW, that is why I do not hold or understand some of the, what I consider ridiculus, opinions of those who think Bo is out of control and giving the University a black eye. In my book, and apparently everyones that I have personally spoken to, he is simply a passionate, intense coach. I really wouldn't want it any other way.