I'm Finding a New Team to Cheer For

I just reread the OP. I really see nothing he said that should draw the hate he has recieved. He laid out his thoughts, his reasons and chose what was best for him. I know during the Clownahan days, I tried to support him, but I found myself not wanting to watch the games, normally did, but never looked forward to them.

Feeling something you have put a lot of effort into, obviously a lot of love, hopefully his avatar and not be happy with the direction he has the right to say what he said. I would imagine it took a lot of sole searching to do say the things he said. I understand his feelings, I am not happy about a lot of what has happened. I do not think Bo is the right coach for this program. But he is our coach, he does a lot of good things, and I am sure a lot of good things that go unnotieced.

He is correct in his thoughts about other fans not thinking much of Bo. His las job, when mentioned about replacing Miles if he left the message boards were pretty unanimous on calling him a nut job. I have often thought about going to other boards and ask that question, what do you guys thing of Bo Pelini. I wonder what the response would be, or because most on these boards are over the top they would understand him better than most fans.

I have no ill feelings toward him, and if he comes back and he most likely will, I will welcome him back. He has bled the Husker red, he loves it and his love for the University is leading him to this. Being a Husker is not just supporting the Football team, it bonds us, but there are a lot of Nebraska alums, that have never attended a game, could care less about it.

I see in the posts there are a few that feel the same way about our coach, maybe not as far down the road as Landomatic is, but could easily head that direction.

I wish I could get the Nebraska TV show or coaches show out here. For some reason I can not find. I would like to hear what Bo has to say about the bowl and this coming year.

^^ Hate? Surely you jest. This thread is full of WIN not hate. Besides, he was looking for this sort of reaction with his post. And it's all in good fun. Lando will read this thread. Then he'll stew for a while. Might even watch another team for a few games next season. Then he'll be back. Cheering for the Huskers. And complaining. Like we all do sometimes.

• Fire 1

I do have to say, and this is very hard to put a finger on all the causes why, but it is has been harder to get excited about games this season. I think this dates back to the tail end of last year, and one culprit I would say, is the random on-off-ness of the team. They'll play solid one week, and be dead in the water the next. It's hard to follow and see where we are going and what we are building towards. I couldn't really follow another team, that's just how it is, but I can't remember a time when I was less excited to watch the games every week. Middle parts of '07. '04. '02. At least those were times when we weren't doing well, though. This is weird - lifeless 9-win seasons, and a lack of enthusiasm for the coming years.

Apparently I have been considered a huge kool-aid drinker before, but there ya go. I can get where the OP is coming from. The kool-aid side in me is hoping and maybe even believing that next year changes everything, though. There is no excuse not to, anymore. I think 2012 is Big Ten Championship or bust. If we fail to get there but still put up a good record, I think it is fair to seriously evaluate the direction of the program.

I also agree with NUance, Lando will be back.

I just reread the OP. I really see nothing he said that should draw the hate he has recieved. He laid out his thoughts, his reasons and chose what was best for him. I know during the Clownahan days, I tried to support him, but I found myself not wanting to watch the games, normally did, but never looked forward to them.

Feeling something you have put a lot of effort into, obviously a lot of love, hopefully his avatar and not be happy with the direction he has the right to say what he said. I would imagine it took a lot of sole searching to do say the things he said. I understand his feelings, I am not happy about a lot of what has happened. I do not think Bo is the right coach for this program. But he is our coach, he does a lot of good things, and I am sure a lot of good things that go unnotieced.

He is correct in his thoughts about other fans not thinking much of Bo. His las job, when mentioned about replacing Miles if he left the message boards were pretty unanimous on calling him a nut job. I have often thought about going to other boards and ask that question, what do you guys thing of Bo Pelini. I wonder what the response would be, or because most on these boards are over the top they would understand him better than most fans.

I have no ill feelings toward him, and if he comes back and he most likely will, I will welcome him back. He has bled the Husker red, he loves it and his love for the University is leading him to this. Being a Husker is not just supporting the Football team, it bonds us, but there are a lot of Nebraska alums, that have never attended a game, could care less about it.

I see in the posts there are a few that feel the same way about our coach, maybe not as far down the road as Landomatic is, but could easily head that direction.

I wish I could get the Nebraska TV show or coaches show out here. For some reason I can not find. I would like to hear what Bo has to say about the bowl and this coming year.

I think there could be a lot of things other than supporting the football team that go into being a Husker fan. What doesn't belong in that discussion is all this panty twisting about how "other" fans "feel" or" think" about Pelini- sweet screamin Jesus, what is this a Dr. Phil show?

Leave all that stuff for the women on the View to discuss - this is a game that was invented my men and played by men not some hide the sausage frathouse circle-jerk

• Fire 1

I do have to say, and this is very hard to put a finger on all the causes why, but it is has been harder to get excited about games this season. I think this dates back to the tail end of last year, and one culprit I would say, is the random on-off-ness of the team. They'll play solid one week, and be dead in the water the next. It's hard to follow and see where we are going and what we are building towards. I couldn't really follow another team, that's just how it is, but I can't remember a time when I was less excited to watch the games every week. Middle parts of '07. '04. '02. At least those were times when we weren't doing well, though. This is weird - lifeless 9-win seasons, and a lack of enthusiasm for the coming years.

Apparently I have been considered a huge kool-aid drinker before, but there ya go. I can get where the OP is coming from. The kool-aid side in me is hoping and maybe even believing that next year changes everything, though. There is no excuse not to, anymore. I think 2012 is Big Ten Championship or bust. If we fail to get there but still put up a good record, I think it is fair to seriously evaluate the direction of the program.

I also agree with NUance, Lando will be back.

At what point in time did you become "less" excited? I dont understand what there wasnt to be excited about up unitl the Iowa game. Going to Michigan we were still in the hunt with only 2 losses, just had a big win at Penn St. Be honest folks, everything was sunshine and rainbows till the 2nd half kickoff @ Michigan.

• Fire 1

Well its to bad you feel this way and will have to pick a new program to follow. I to will be curious to se who you decide to follow. Ohio U maybe? A lot of us fans tried to give Callahan a chance. He lost us because he wouldn't embrace the tradition, not to mention he couldn't win. I don't remember anyone giving up on him after the throat slashing move on the sidelines.That was classy.

Bo does embrace the tradition and he is winning. The program has turned around. Bo has toned it down each year, and is going to get better as the years go by. I wear my Husker gear out here in Arizona and, no one has ever said anything about Bo to me. Some of you are reaching, in thinking he has hurt recruiting by his sideline actions. If anything I think it shows these kids the passion he has for his players. I haven't read any where, where a recruit said he wouldn't come to Neb, because of Bo. A recruit looks at who the coaches are, playing time, the fan base, and the facilities. Bo is a selling point as are his coaches. This staff is putting kids into the NFL and they are getting some in, on the first round.

Being a Husker fan is in the blood, try as you might, that won't change. You will still be watching and reading about the team, no matter who else you decide to throw your loyalty to. It will never have the same passion. Once a Husker always a Husker. I have never turned off a game no matter how bad we were getting beat.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

I think there could be a lot of things other than supporting the football team that go into being a Husker fan. What doesn't belong in that discussion is all this panty twisting about how "other" fans "feel" or" think" about Pelini- sweet screamin Jesus, what is this a Dr. Phil show?

Leave all that stuff for the women on the View to discuss - this is a game that was invented my men and played by men not some hide the sausage frathouse circle-jerk

But that's a huge basis for the OP, and one I certainly agree w/. Yesterday morning I posted in another thread about how I get frequent ridicule from friends (who are fans of other programs) regarding Pelini. It wasn't 90 minutes later, when our new executive vice president shows up at my door. Tuesday was his first day, we've had 5 total minutes of conversation since his interview prior to this. Knowing he recieved his masters and doctorate from South Carolina I knew the following conversation was coming, but I figured he'd wait more than a week. - "I heard you were a Husker fan, and since I did my graduate work at SC I watched the bowl game. You guys have a good young team coming up there. That was a fun game to watch". I responded with a few lines, we started talking - and about 45 seconds into the converstion regarding West Virginia and Holgerson (he did his undergrad there), this little nugget pops out - "So what do you guys, as Husker fans think of Bo Pelini". It took litterally 60 seconds to come up in the convo.

That is the converstion I have at nearly every bar I go to, ever party where college football gets brought up. I'm the guy that sits at the bar and can bullsh#t football w/ about anyone. My wife gets pissed because when she goes with me I end up in conversation w/ half the bar. Never fails...Pelini's name is always brought up.

People living in Nebraska may not realize this. But Pelini spawns a VERY, VERY negative reaction from most fans who don't wear a red N on their shirt. And since he's the face of the program, that's the perception of the program. It's not universal - but in the last couple of years it's gotten gradually worse. You're even beginning to see it in our own fan base now. I used to defend him to the point it was kind of ridiculous. At this point I just shake my head and say "what can you do, he wins games and as long as he's getting 9...he's our coach regardless". You may be where I was 2 years ago...but where will you be in 2 years when it continues? I never thought I'd begin to be embarassed by the guy - but what he does is pointless. The decisions he makes regarding PR are borderline insane.

As our new EVP said "I thought his head was going to explode" - what I didn't tell him is that it's Pelini's big head (ego) that are likely a large portion of our issues. Someday it will explode, he'll be humbled and he'll be a better coach because of it. TO will suspend him a game, Perlman will bench the HC. That's what it will take. Unfortunately the day that happens, will be the same day Pelini starts interviewing elsewhere. It's unfortunately that's the culture of college football today, because what needs to be done likely can't be.