SIGNED OL Corey Whitaker

SECHusker

I think he will be a great player for Nebraska. I think he may have been overlooked a bit because he may not be the best pass blocker right now and needs to get a little bigger and stronger. It's obvious from his film that he is outstanding at pulling, getting to the second level and blocking LB/safety types. (It's not always easy for a lineman to get on those quick DB's.) In other words he's perfect for guard! Give him 2 years in the weight room/training table and development time for pass-pro and we will be talking about him like they are about Long. I really like this guy. Steal of the class.

I can't wait to see this young man perform on saturdays in Lincoln. Whether he plays center or guard, he is a terrific blocker with a real penchant for knocking people down. He'll need to be bigger and stronger to stand up to the Big 10 D lines but give him a redshirt year and a year or 2 in the weight room and at the training table and I think he'll be hard to keep off the field.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very good pick up. Oregon wanted him to come to Eugene and Florida really was pushing hard for Corey to visit.

Chalk another one up to John Garrison

Whitaker is going to be a star. He has unbelievably quick feet and a nasty attitude. He was planting guys into the turf left and right.

• 5 months later...

Season ending knee injury...thin line getting thinner

That bites but, as noted, he was headed for a shirt in all likelihood anyway. The only real hit to depth so far for this year is Moore. Of course, all of these factors make it even more important that we get five and maybe even six OL in 2013 after only taking two in 2012.

I hope the staff learned from last year that we should take 4 a year no matter what. Looking back on it, we seemed to be pretty happy with Thurston and going hard after Peat, we got Whitaker extremely late. Im ok with leaving a spot open for Peat but we should have had atleast 3 committed by the time he made his decision.

Peat is just a kid and doesnt know it but he really hurt us by dragging the process on so long, he cost us a couple OL prospects.