TE Jon Wisnieski [Iowa Commit]

Nexus

Stated that he would be at the 2nd Junior Day.

Maybe our other HS Tight End...

I don't think we take him as the other guy. We're looking for a Ben Cotton type player to fill the other position at TE. That means heavier weight, more of a DE build and a really good strong player that blocks well. Hart is going to be our speed like Kyler Reed, now we need the bulkier, heavier, blocking guy. Beau Sandland is our #1 target for the other tight end position even though he is a JUCO. Then, we'll take another high schooler IF he fits well and has a lot of ability/upside. If we get a big guy like Beau, that other HS guy could be a guy like Wisnieski... but Wisnieski is only 215 and does only run a 4.8 which is pretty slow for a guy that skinny. He'd definitely need a redshirt year to add weight in muscle.

Maybe you should look up info a little more before writing...Cotton coming out of highschool was 6'6" 217lbs...Wisnieski is 6'6'' 215lbs...pretty damn close if you ask me.

I know the info, but here's the difference. When we recruited Ben we had time to let him develop and gain weight to get to the huge guy he is now. With Wisnieski's class, we need guys who can step in immediately (hence why we're taking a juco). We don't have 2 years to wait on him to gain weight and develop because we don't have anyone behind Cotton and Reed besides Long and maybe Sutton IF he plays out.

Who do you suggest we get from the h.s. ranks that's bigger than him and has as much upside and has us in his top two and will be great in four years and is higher ranked and...

If the top remianing TE on your board wants in and you have the ability to take a few more scholarship guys than in the past, you grab him. We've struck out on TEs in the past and need to get more in.

I don't think we take him as the other guy. We're looking for a Ben Cotton type player to fill the other position at TE. That means heavier weight, more of a DE build and a really good strong player that blocks well. Hart is going to be our speed like Kyler Reed, now we need the bulkier, heavier, blocking guy. Beau Sandland is our #1 target for the other tight end position even though he is a JUCO. Then, we'll take another high schooler IF he fits well and has a lot of ability/upside. If we get a big guy like Beau, that other HS guy could be a guy like Wisnieski... but Wisnieski is only 215 and does only run a 4.8 which is pretty slow for a guy that skinny. He'd definitely need a redshirt year to add weight in muscle.

Maybe you should look up info a little more before writing...Cotton coming out of highschool was 6'6" 217lbs...Wisnieski is 6'6'' 215lbs...pretty damn close if you ask me.

I know the info, but here's the difference. When we recruited Ben we had time to let him develop and gain weight to get to the huge guy he is now. With Wisnieski's class, we need guys who can step in immediately (hence why we're taking a juco). We don't have 2 years to wait on him to gain weight and develop because we don't have anyone behind Cotton and Reed besides Long and maybe Sutton IF he plays out.

And the other Cotton. A JUCO would be nice, but I think you would still try to RS one of your HS recruits if you get 2. I know the position is a bit thin but TE is a position that it seems like a quality walk on emerges at each year. In 2013 walk ons Barry and Long will be Seniors, Sutton will be a RSo., Sam Cotton will be a So. or a RFr, and who knows what other walk on will emerge. Add Hart and another HS recruit in this class and I think one of them would redshirt for sure with 4-5 older options available in front of them, especially if they get a JUCO.

And the other Cotton. A JUCO would be nice, but I think you would still try to RS one of your HS recruits if you get 2. I know the position is a bit thin but TE is a position that it seems like a quality walk on emerges at each year. In 2013 walk ons Barry and Long will be Seniors, Sutton will be a RSo., Sam Cotton will be a So. or a RFr, and who knows what other walk on will emerge. Add Hart and another HS recruit in this class and I think one of them would redshirt for sure with 4-5 older options available in front of them, especially if they get a JUCO.

We have plenty of bodies at TE, no question, but how many of them have the skillset to really do well at the B10 level? That's the question only the coaches know.

If you look at the roster it looks like this after Ben and Kyler graduate.

Robert Barry Sr 6'8" 240

Jake Long Sr 6'4" 235

Eddie Ridder So 6'6" 225

David Sutton So 6'3" 250

Sam Cotton RsFr 6'4" 240

Add 3 More:

Greg Hart Fr 6'5" 225

2013 TE 2

2013 TE 3 - JUCO

That brings you to 8 TE's. The fact that the coaches want 2-3 this year tells me that out of the 4 guys they have on the team now, none or few will be good enough to take over. Jake Long is the only name I have heard as one that might actually see the field some. Sam will be good in time, and then they hope that 1-2 of the 3 they bring in for 2013 will be good. If they can get 1 out of 3 they will be okay.

We have plenty of bodies at TE, no question, but how many of them have the skillset to really do well at the B10 level? That's the question only the coaches know.

If you look at the roster it looks like this after Ben and Kyler graduate.

Robert Barry Sr 6'8" 240

Jake Long Sr 6'4" 235

Eddie Ridder So 6'6" 225

David Sutton So 6'3" 250

Sam Cotton RsFr 6'4" 240

Add 3 More:

Greg Hart Fr 6'5" 225

2013 TE 2

2013 TE 3 - JUCO

That brings you to 8 TE's. The fact that the coaches want 2-3 this year tells me that out of the 4 guys they have on the team now, none or few will be good enough to take over. Jake Long is the only name I have heard as one that might actually see the field some. Sam will be good in time, and then they hope that 1-2 of the 3 they bring in for 2013 will be good. If they can get 1 out of 3 they will be okay.

Actually I don't see it quite the same way you do. Looking at the 2013 roster it is clear that they will only have 3 TEs in 2014, that is the biggest reason IMO to bring in 2 HS TEs this year. Let them be in the program for a year and they can add quality depth in 2014 when the team will need them the most. It is possible that 1 of the HS recruits this year could see the field a bit in 2013, but unless something goes terribly wrong with Long, Barry, Sutton, or Cotton, I think it may be more probable that both HS recruits, assuming they get 2, will RS. I think that is why they really want a JUCO TE to help hedge their bets in 2013 and in 2014 while guys like Sutton and Cotton develop so that any HS recruits this year can definitely RS. Who knows though, it is all conjecture at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

not a big deal I think we end up with the best tight end in the country in sandland

I wouldnt hold your breath. Sandland wants a high powered throwing offense, which we dont have and have never been known to have. My guess is he ends up at OU, in the pass happy b12.