The Religious Discussion of 2012

Either of you, give me one shred of proof that you supposedly have that Christianity is nothing more than a fairy tale. Oh, you have none? So it's just all talk? I see....

Give me one shred of proof that Islam is nothing more than a fairy tale. Hell, give me one shred of proof that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is nothing more than a fairy tale.

Oh, you have none? So it's all just talk? I see...

Either of you, give me one shred of proof that you supposedly have that Christianity is nothing more than a fairy tale. Oh, you have none? So it's just all talk? I see....

Haven't we all decided that the 'proof' ultimatum is futile?

I think that was just you that decided that because you have none.

Or it's because there is NONE. Your faith and my faith my tell me that there is, it may lead us to intuit proof in situations, but THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS PROOF.

Oh, right. I forgot that God and Christianity have 'more proof than any other religion.'

You have no concrete proof God is real, any more than I have concrete proof he isn't.

Why do you persist with your ridiculous argument?

You don't get it. No one is setting out to "prove" Christianity is nothing more than a fairy tale. I consider it a fable, not because I have "proof", but because there's nothing that separates it from the thousands of other religions humans have invented throughout history. Certainly, they can't all be right, can they? What separates Christianity from all the other fables?

Basically what it comes down to is you have faith your god is real, which is fine. That's not good enough for everyone. Some people prefer rational thought to decide what they believe to be real, which is also fine.

• Fire 1

You don't get it. No one is setting out to "prove" Christianity is nothing more than a fairy tale. I consider it a fable, not because I have "proof", but because there's nothing that separates it from the thousands of other religions humans have invented throughout history. Certainly, they can't all be right, can they? What separates Christianity from all the other fables?

Basically what it comes down to is you have faith your god is real, which is fine. That's not good enough for everyone. Some people prefer rational thought to decide what they believe to be real, which is also fine.

Exactly. How this is getting misconstrued into a 'proof' argument is beyond me. Seems like a last ditch effort.

For me...the evidence is my disbelief in magic. We have absolutely no evidence of magic ever happening outside of fairy tales.

Belief in the supernatural is at odds with the natural world we live in. Just because we can't explain everything in the universe, does not mean magic is the fallback answer. Period.

Exactly. How this is getting misconstrued into a 'proof' argument is beyond me. Seems like a last ditch effort.

According to this here WikipediA article, "Argument from ignorance may be used as a rationalization by a person who realizes that he has no reason for holding the belief that he does."

For me...the evidence is my disbelief in magic. We have absolutely no evidence of magic ever happening outside of fairy tales.

Belief in the supernatural is at odds with the natural world we live in. Just because we can't explain everything in the universe, does not mean magic is the fallback answer. Period.

Here are a couple links that might be worth your time.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

http://www.doesgodexist.org/

Here are a couple links that might be worth your time.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

http://www.everystud...es/isthere.html

I got to the exit of tht first site pretty quickly.

Absolute Truth Does Not Exist (Randomly capitalizing words adds to the sites credibility.)

Absolutely True or False? :rollin

So awesome. I've seen the light. The Christian god is the one true god. I repent for all of my godless actions.

To be honest, I wasn't real impressed with where they headed with it, particularly at the end. But, I do think there are many good points along the way. I think if a person wants to be honest with themself, you have to ponder these types of things. Closing your mind based on some capitilizations, hokey presentation, or ill advised conclusions does not negate the logical points that are also made. I'm not sure how you question the credibility of a site that simply asks you questions. Maybe their final conclusion about God having to be the "Christian God" but that was not my intention.

edit- Sorry, it's a slow afternoon at work. Thought I'd give some non-believers some things to think about. there sure isn't much happening in the football forum lately.

Having "Faith", thats great. "Organized Religion", whether it's Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or whatever, can make rational people, completely and utterly, batsh*t crazy.

Alice in Chains said it best. "To some, God's name, is smack"

Love the band, but I think that it doesn't work in this context