Clean Program

I am I

Like the walk-on program he dismantled?

I feel like there is a lot more revisionism going on *against* him, than for him. The perception that Bo brought all the traditions back isn't that spot on either. He's his own man...he runs his program his way. He disregards completely what the Blackshirt has always used to mean. Things like that. Which, you know what? Is fine. That's exactly what I want a Head Coach to do, do it his way.

Let's be clear, Callahan was a pretty awful coach for what happened in 2007. He didn't work out here. But just because we had some players get in trouble, something we have always had and will always have, doesn't mean he didn't run a clean program. I would think he should get zero complaints of significance in that area. Heck, Bo hasn't exactly been opening his arms to the fanbase either. But he's a top-flight coach and that isn't the biggest concern for me -- just saying.

Callahan - not a good coach, not a good developer of talent or leader -- also not some heartless sleazebag who played dirty and trampled on traditions just because.

Bo runs a very clean ship too, in my opinion, but if Hunter Teafatiller comes to mind, then the "discipline" that he and Andy Christensen faced under Bo should, too.

A) Callahan ran a clean program

2) He lost

III) He recruited individuals talented enough to get to the NFL, but they spelled team - t - ME - ME - ME - m

d) Not only he lost, the way they lost

5) He was too loyal to the idiotic Cosgrove

VI) His offense was too complex for the time college players have to invest

g) He lost

They say winning is a powerful elixir; and that is often why so many people are okay with the dirty program...so long as they are winning national titles. Once the titles stop flowing in, so does the support and the money.

The most support a coach will ever get from a fan base is if he runs a clean program, and wins national championships.

There are always going to be those fans who will bash him for not winning. And even if the school is winning, there will always be people who will bash him for not necessarily running the tightest ship.

So is the life of a college football coach.

I order to compete, the rules need to be enforced across the board and sometimes changed ie over signing.

I would rather go 0-11 and have the only clean program in the country than some crooked a$$ program with wins. Less than 1% of the kids playing today will make a career in the NFL. Character counts in my book and is being taught by Bo and Co. Might not recruit like Saban, but at the end of the day I would rather have my kids learning that there is life after college football and get some character building (which will last long after the final whistle) along the way.

Unfortunately, as long as the NCAA looks differently at different programs and some get hammered while others get nothing disparity of performance based upon the integrity of the program will always exist.

Couldn't agree more

http://www.huskerboa...__fromsearch__1

Your orignal question asked why no one had brought this up; I did - last year!

This seems like a topic that gets brought up on a regular basis. Generally in the offseason.

Some pretty good responses in that thread last year. I wonder what the thread the year before, and the year before that, had to say?

I'm always of the opinion that I want Nebraska to run a good, clean program but one that is also capable of winning titles.

That said it's getting harder and harder by the year to defend my opinion.

I mean USC got a decade of eliteness and is still bringing in talent like crazy after they got hit with sanctions and will probably be a top 5 team this year.

Ohio State got a slap on the wrist for Tattoogate and had one bad year but then turned around, hired a new elite coach and is still regarded as an elite program and getting top recruits to come in.

Oregon has been to multiple BCS games the past few years, is considered an elite program and Chip Kelly is seen as an elite coach- how many people even know they have NCAA trouble regarding a major recruiting scandal?

Heck, Miami committed arguably the worst cheating scandal in the history of college football, ESPN covered the story for about a week and now I bet half the casual fans aren't even aware it occured.

And that doesn't even count the SEC. The SEC has won multiple championships in a row and is regarded as the best conference in football. No one in the media or even the NCAA seems to even care that that conference has the ethics of a slug that cheats on a level not seen since the SWC.

I mean this is nothing new, Oklahoma still has never won a National Title without doing some form of cheating during or immediately prior to winning it. It hasn't prevented people from looking them as an elite program. But it's getting a lot more widespread and there seems to be not only getting harder to win cleanly but really becoming a culture with less and less incentive to do things clean if you really want to be an elite program year in and year out.

• Fire 2

I'm always of the opinion that I want Nebraska to run a good, clean program but one that is also capable of winning titles.

I mean USC got a decade of eliteness and is still bringing in talent like crazy after they got hit with sanctions and will probably be a top 5 team this year.

Ohio State got a slap on the wrist for Tattoogate and had one bad year but then turned around, hired a new elite coach and is still regarded as an elite program and getting top recruits to come in.

Oregon has been to multiple BCS games the past few years, is considered an elite program and Chip Kelly is seen as an elite coach- how many people even know they have NCAA trouble regarding a major recruiting scandal?

Heck, Miami committed arguably the worst cheating scandal in the history of college football, ESPN covered the story for about a week and now I bet half the casual fans aren't even aware it occured.

And that doesn't even count the SEC. The SEC has won multiple championships in a row and is regarded as the best conference in football. No one in the media or even the NCAA seems to even care that that conference has the ethics of a slug that cheats on a level not seen since the SWC.

I mean this is nothing new, Oklahoma still has never won a National Title without doing some form of cheating during or immediately prior to winning it. It hasn't prevented people from looking them as an elite program. But it's getting a lot more widespread and there seems to be not only getting harder to win cleanly but really becoming a culture with less and less incentive to do things clean if you really want to be an elite program year in and year out.

Great post Blackshirt316. +1. You are absolutely correct. The programs you listed have had many issues recently, and programs like Miami have been known for eternity as a dirty program. Oklahoma fits in the category of a repeat offender as well. Good points. The best of the best are able to keep it clean, and compete for titles. I still consider Nebraska as an elite program. If we can quickly come back from the above average seasons we have been having, and rise upward instead of slipping further, I think we can quickly regain the elite status. Bo will take care of the character of this team, I truly believe that.

• Fire 1

Great post Blackshirt316. +1. You are absolutely correct. The programs you listed have had many issues recently, and programs like Miami have been known for eternity as a dirty program. Oklahoma fits in the category of a repeat offender as well. Good points. The best of the best are able to keep it clean, and compete for titles. I still consider Nebraska as an elite program. If we can quickly come back from the above average seasons we have been having, and rise upward instead of slipping further, I think we can quickly regain the elite status. Bo will take care of the character of this team, I truly believe that.

Not to mention that it is very difficult to have staying power as an elite over a sustained period of time. Many in our society live in the now and feel that the way things are currently will remain indefinitely. Great posts fellas.

To me a clean program is one that recruits honestly, doesn't condone criminal behavior, punishes it when it does occur, attempts to teach character and accountability. Kids breaking the law doesn't mean a poorly run or dirty program. You can't control the actions of your players no more than you can control the actions of your kids. You teach them, instruct them, monitor them, put rules in place and hope it works.

Recruiting kids with "questionable" issues is not running a dirty program. TO recruited a few bad apples. Did he run a dirty program? NO way. I truly believe he wanted to help those kids and I am sure he mentored and helped more than those who slipped through the cracks.

You can run a clean program and win. You can also run a dirty program and win. The difference........players and coaches.

I agree with this I live in Oregon and the wive goes to OSU so I am far from a ducks fan. My general thought is that they have a clean program but my hell the players are always in trouble with drugs, theft, ect. program wise they were too kind to the thug (forgot name) who punched folks a year or so ago but he did get kicked out eventually.

What's a clean program? I'd say we're clean if only couple or three--or even a handful--of guys get arrested each year. If you randomly selected 120 non-athlete college guys that's about what you'd get. A handful of arrests, mostly for DWI and sech.

Also by clean I'd say we don't have guys juicing to build muscle, and cleverly covering it up.

I think it comes from the HC. Arrests, bad behavior...whatever. That doesn't mean the program isn't clean, it means the players who are part of it get into trouble. How the coach runs his ship and how he responds to these incidents define how clean the program is. You could hand a principled coach a roster full of thugs who, all they do is get arrested, but it doesn't mean that coach isn't running a clean program.

I think the criteria you talk about in the second part is more important.

There are always going to be players that do something wrong. It's how the coach and administration handle it. Hopefully they do not feel so much pressure to win that they look the other way. I was talking to an Illini fan the other day and he brought up the gun incident during TO's time. I had completely forgot about it but it made me cringe.