There will be plenty of candidates for this job. If I'm a young defensive coach I'd love to learn about secondary play from a very innovatitive defensive mind.

bad timing though...the pool is just those currently unemployed (which isn't great) and those willing to jump ship weeks before spring ball starts. it's much more limited than it would be in January.

There will be plenty of candidates for this job. If I'm a young defensive coach I'd love to learn about secondary play from a very innovatitive defensive mind.

bad timing though...the pool is just those currently unemployed (which isn't great) and those willing to jump ship weeks before spring ball starts. it's much more limited than it would be in January.

It just hurts for the fact the players won't know their coach through spring ball and won't have a lot of time one on one before fall if the hire takes a few weeks. I don't think it limits the pool that much. I've been watching the coaching movements the last several month and I've seen guys take jobs at a school to turn around and leave a month later much like Sanders did. Some of the Wisconson coaches went to Pitt only to go to Tampa Bay, Rich Rod hired a quality guy to have him leave and go to Washington, etc etc. At least a dozen guys were planning to go one place and have ended up in another place. This is a good BCS job. If we want a guy bad enough he'll probably come reguardless of what he's doing at his current school or NFL team. The place it hurts to have it happen is at the lower level schools.

I think that Barney Cotton should be our new DB coach since Garrison has the OL under control :sarcasm

But in all seriousness, DB coach is probably the one coaching position that I have the most faith in Bo finding guys. Bo has been a DB guru his whole career and has run across a lot of great coaches. This will be a good hire.

Dont think Mike Brown has any coaching experience, but he would be a dynamite guy up in the box. Can't remember how many times coaches have said or I have read that he is great at getting the secondary lined up and diagnosing what they are tying to do. Unfortunately he has no coaching exeperience or recruiting ties. I think we need an ace recruiter. Wouldn't mind getting a guy that could take over recruiting duties so that frees Els up some.

This is a complete wildcard and I'm not sure he has any interest in coaching right now but what about NFL hall of famer Rod Woodson?

No ties to Bo, no ties to Nebraska, and I do not believe he is coaching anywhere. I would say zero percent chance of that happening.

This is a complete wildcard and I'm not sure he has any interest in coaching right now but what about NFL hall of famer Rod Woodson?

I was thinking Merton Hanks

Think he'd stick his neck out for a job at Nebraska?

:lol:

In case anyone doesn't remember Merton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHZZdSaSPc

Knap, you're on fire today. +1 :lol:

...[snip]

I don't think he has any coaching experience yet, but I wonder about Barron Miles somewhere down the line, if he ever goes into coaching...

Miles would be worth an interview. He had a great CFL career (2nd in career interceptions and 1st in blocked kicks). He went into coaching immediately upon retiring. Just found a recent article from January talking about his new CFL job as a DB coach that's worth a read with Husker references.

Lions' defensive assistant Barron Miles moves to Riders