Danny O'Brien To Wisconsin

Treand3

Wisconsin has added another coveted quarterback transfer, as Danny O'Brien will suit up for the Badgers.

The team on Tuesday announced the signing of O'Brien after the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported his arrival. Because O'Brien graduated from Maryland in three years, he will have two seasons of eligibility at Wisconsin and can play right away.

O'Brien visited Wisconsin during the weekend but spent Monday attending a practice at Penn State, where he had visited earlier this month. He also reportedly considered Mississippi and Vanderbilt.

http://espn.go.com/c...sconsin-badgers

Good survival move. Without him, they're staring down a 6-7 win season.

Here's a link to his stats: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480847/danny-obrien

Looks like he's as mobile as Zac Taylor.

You'd think that QB's would stop going to UW seeing things like this happening. You accept a schollie and the coach goes out and recruits a transfer that can play immediately for 2012 and 2013 seasons. I guess when the quarterbacks that you've recruited are so fragile you have to go out and recruit like this. Still this can't look good to potential recruits.

You'd think that QB's would stop going to UW seeing things like this happening. You accept a schollie and the coach goes out and recruits a transfer that can play immediately for 2012 and 2013 seasons. I guess when the quarterbacks that you've recruited are so fragile you have to go out and recruit like this. Still this can't look good to potential recruits.

They didn't have a choice. They were thin at QB, and the top 2 guys got hurt.

It's all about what the potential recruit sees. Right now those recruits see that the Wisconsin coach recruits transfers to take over the starting position over guys who have been there. They don't see that they are thin at QB, they see only the coach letting guys transfer in for the starting job.

Mind you this is just my opinion. If I were a recruit I would keep this in mind when talking to Wisconsin.

bill snyder has built some pretty great teams based on this same exact thing. a lot of his guys are there for 2 years because they are out of JUCO. A kid that can graduate in 3 years playing D1 ball under center? He's got the smarts, he could be very good. I remember us all brushing off Wilson as mediocre because he played in the ACC...then he came in and lit us up, and saved Wisconsin from a 7-8 win season.

Wisconsin is a lot like us - they are 1 small piece from being dang good. This guy might be their piece.

It's all about what the potential recruit sees. Right now those recruits see that the Wisconsin coach recruits transfers to take over the starting position over guys who have been there. They don't see that they are thin at QB, they see only the coach letting guys transfer in for the starting job.

Mind you this is just my opinion. If I were a recruit I would keep this in mind when talking to Wisconsin.

or they see an opportunity to step up, because in 2 years the job is vacant. no one else has earned the starting spot - why couldn't they? these recruits have big egos. they are going to come in thinking that if the depth behind this guy was so crappy they had to go out a second year in a row and find a free agent - then the position is wide open for the taking.

Hard to blame Whisky for taking advantage of a rule that's legal..............we would probably attempt it too if the circumstances were favorable to us..

But I agree with previous posters who feel this will not have the same impact as Wilson.........even though he does have 2 years...

bill snyder has built some pretty great teams based on this same exact thing. a lot of his guys are there for 2 years because they are out of JUCO. A kid that can graduate in 3 years playing D1 ball under center? He's got the smarts, he could be very good. I remember us all brushing off Wilson as mediocre because he played in the ACC...then he came in and lit us up, and saved Wisconsin from a 7-8 win season.

Wisconsin is a lot like us - they are 1 small piece from being dang good. This guy might be their piece.

Maybe. But Wilson is better O'Brien by a large margin. He was also pretty mobile, and Danny boy isn't

I know that was his freshman year, but I didn't see nothing mobile about him. Granted I didn't pay attention to him his other year either.

But I would leave to if I had to wear those god awful uniforms that Maryland has.

Even Oregon laughs at Maryland's unis.