Husker Basketball Recruiting Thread

How does walk-on Trevor Menke reportedly receiving a scholarship affect the situation?

Link

It is possible that it is only guaranteed for this year, we do have extra scholarships this year. Miles may have told him that we can offer him one this year, but may not have any available for next year. He could go back to non-scholarship status just like McDermott at Creighton was maybe going to do to open up a scholarship. As long as it's for only this year, it's a nice gesture.

The way he is quoted also makes it sound like it is just for this year potentially.

“We’ve just been doing a lot of working out this summer and Coach Miles called me one afternoon and let me know what was up,” Menke said. “He said they were going to offer me a scholarship since one was available. It was crazy at first and I really couldn’t believe it. I told him ‘of course I’d accept it.”

How does walk-on Trevor Menke reportedly receiving a scholarship affect the situation?

Link

It is possible that it is only guaranteed for this year, we do have extra scholarships this year. Miles may have told him that we can offer him one this year, but may not have any available for next year. He could go back to non-scholarship status just like McDermott at Creighton was maybe going to do to open up a scholarship. As long as it's for only this year, it's a nice gesture.

The way he is quoted also makes it sound like it is just for this year potentially.

“We’ve just been doing a lot of working out this summer and Coach Miles called me one afternoon and let me know what was up,” Menke said. “He said they were going to offer me a scholarship since one was available. It was crazy at first and I really couldn’t believe it. I told him ‘of course I’d accept it.”

I hope that is the situation. Great gesture by Miles if that is the case.

Link

I hope that is the situation. Great gesture by Miles if that is the case.

Exactly. Great gesture that also plays into this evolving picture of Miles as being an outstanding choice for this position.

I wonder how the commitment of Tai Webster affects Josh Brown visit? Webster & Hawkins can both play PG or SG. We have Parker a pure PG and Biggs who is a PG but could play a little SG. Really can't see them signing another guard. Thoughts?

With Ubel and Almeida being seniors and the plethora of recent additions at the guard position, it seems logical to save our last 1 or 2 scholarships for big men.

Well. The Brown situation has worked itself out. Now the next question is...do you try to fill both or do save both if you can't find top notch guys? Do you take at least one no matter what? What are the chances that we sign someone not on our know 'interested' group?

I am thinking we have to find at least one. Then we can be picky on the last one.

If we don't get Akoy or another big man on our list, my opinion is that we hold both of them unless a 3 star+ presents itself. We'll have both forward transfers available next year to play the 4-5. Don't get me wrong, i'd like to fill the 4th, but I don't think we are at the point where we just give one to someone average.

This may be a little off topic, but how does the walk on thing work? As we'll need a couple people to make a roster this year with only 8 available players.

I suspect that Menke will get PT this year to earn his 1 yr schollie. So that's nine. Other possible contributors would be walkon's Tyrance and Kurkowsi. So there's 11. That would get us through the season. Ritchie is a new freshmen walkon. He'd make 12 if he doesn't redshirt, but I can't see a walkon freshmen playing so I am thinking he 'shirts and is the scout team point.. So I am guessing they are looking for 2 to backfill the scout team roles of Tyrance and Kurkowski.

This is assuming Biggs redshirts and we all know Petteway and Pitchford have to sit out.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Fuller (NU Commit) and Zach Hanson (Creighton Commit) will be here for the Wisconsin game on 9/29.

Zach Hanson (Creighton Commit) ???

We still have a shot??

I very much doubt it, each recruit has 5 visits they can take. I think this is more about the close promitiy to Creighton as opposed to a real chance. We all know that Nebraska football has plenty of fans from Creighton and this seems to be just another one.

Nick Fuller (NU Commit) and Zach Hanson (Creighton Commit) will be here for the Wisconsin game on 9/29.

Zach Hanson (Creighton Commit) ???

We still have a shot??

I very much doubt it, each recruit has 5 visits they can take. I think this is more about the close promitiy to Creighton as opposed to a real chance. We all know that Nebraska football has plenty of fans from Creighton and this seems to be just another one.

he gets to go watch the wisconsin game for free...

Here's a question for you. Say Hanson changes his mind and commits. Do you

a) Say Awesome, then tell Vitto & Agau that they will take whoever commits first.

b) Hold an offer for Agua no matter what & delay Vitto pending Agau decision.

c) Take all 3 and worry about it later.

d) Only take Hanson if we only get 1 commit between Vitto and Agua.