Bo statement

What really should be an eye opener is that canceling the game actually cost the university money........... $400,000 of it.

How did it cost that much? Clauses in tv contracts or something?

news said concessions and merchandise

So they didn't really lose any money, they just didn't turn a profit (aside from the ticket sales). It makes no sense they refuse to refund that money. Deferring to the "no refund" policy is a cop out.

go back and read #65

I do not believe all the hub-bub over a cancelled spring game and this was the first I was going to miss in about 15 years. I personally have come to the conclusion that the game itself is very anti-climactic. We go for the party, Fri. nite dinner at the original Misty's, Sat AM tailgate, the bar crawl to the stadium, the tunnel walk and arrival of the team, the first few plays and then the inevitable realization that this is not really a game but mearly a practice. We normally leave at half time. We stop by the Nebraska Book Store, and then back to the tailgate. A few more beers and then out to Brewskies. A couple hours later we fire up the grill and its time for a thick porterhouse steak and some salad. Then its time to break out the Knob Creek and coke. The Sunday trip home is highlighted by a stop at Big Fred's for quite possibly the best pizza on earth. A good time is always had by all. The cost of the weekend is greatly over-shadowed by the good time we have. If your problem with the cancellation is what you spend on gas then you should hve stayed home. If you are passing through Pender at 1:AM you should have left alot earlier and to think that 3 kids under the age of 5 have any concept of what is going on is delusional. Use some common sense and perspective people. What would the situation have produced if Bo hadn't cancelled, 60,000+ fans fill Memorial Stadium and lightning strikes the north end zone or worse yet a tornado hampers TM's throwing motion. All I can say is good decision Bo.

T_O_B

G>B>R

So basically what you're telling me is that if I have kids and would rather see the game then go out and get drunk the night before I might as well stay home? Some of us have real jobs and can't get all the way to Lincoln early enough to do that stuff. Sometimes you do leave at a decent time and kids don't cooperate. If I could have returned the tickets Friday (or even Thursday) when we all knew the weather was going to suck I gladly would have done so for a refund, but sadly we don't get that option. It was either sit at home and throw the 60 bucks in the trash or drive down and hope that we may be able to catch part of the game. I guessed wrong.

I do not believe all the hub-bub over a cancelled spring game and this was the first I was going to miss in about 15 years. I personally have come to the conclusion that the game itself is very anti-climactic. We go for the party, Fri. nite dinner at the original Misty's, Sat AM tailgate, the bar crawl to the stadium, the tunnel walk and arrival of the team, the first few plays and then the inevitable realization that this is not really a game but mearly a practice. We normally leave at half time. We stop by the Nebraska Book Store, and then back to the tailgate. A few more beers and then out to Brewskies. A couple hours later we fire up the grill and its time for a thick porterhouse steak and some salad. Then its time to break out the Knob Creek and coke. The Sunday trip home is highlighted by a stop at Big Fred's for quite possibly the best pizza on earth. A good time is always had by all. The cost of the weekend is greatly over-shadowed by the good time we have. If your problem with the cancellation is what you spend on gas then you should hve stayed home. If you are passing through Pender at 1:AM you should have left alot earlier and to think that 3 kids under the age of 5 have any concept of what is going on is delusional. Use some common sense and perspective people. What would the situation have produced if Bo hadn't cancelled, 60,000+ fans fill Memorial Stadium and lightning strikes the north end zone or worse yet a tornado hampers TM's throwing motion. All I can say is good decision Bo.

T_O_B

G>B>R

So basically what you're telling me is that if I have kids and would rather see the game then go out and get drunk the night before I might as well stay home? Some of us have real jobs and can't get all the way to Lincoln early enough to do that stuff. Sometimes you do leave at a decent time and kids don't cooperate. If I could have returned the tickets Friday (or even Thursday) when we all knew the weather was going to suck I gladly would have done so for a refund, but sadly we don't get that option. It was either sit at home and throw the 60 bucks in the trash or drive down and hope that we may be able to catch part of the game. I guessed wrong.

So you think I don't have a real job? I have worked at one 'real job' or another for well over 50 years starting with the paper route that I had at 13 years of age. I now own a company that provides in home care to Homebound Veteran's or their widowed spouces. This is a program that the VA will say does not exist, they are either stupid or liars. If this isn't a 'rea ljob' then I don't know what is.

Didn't say anything at all about geting drunk the night before. What I said was that kids who are 5 and under don't care about going to a spring game or a national championship game . My God they are basically todlers and would have more fun sitting on the kitchen floor banging on pots and pans with wooden spoons. By traveling in the wee small hours of the morning on two lane highways when you are admitedly tired you put your family in harms way. Think about it who's out driving at that time of night. Unfortunately an all too high percentage of drunks on the way home from a bar. The next day you get pissed off because Bo doesn't want to be held responsible for the safety of 60,000+ fans sitting in a stadium when dangerous weather is probable. Shame on you sir, this isn't about your children missing a meaningless game that they wouldn't remember anything about 6 hours later. Its about you taking a shot at the University of Nebraska and Head Football Coach Bo Pelini.

T_O_B

Give me a friggin' break!! If I was a player I would look forward to having the opportunity to play that Spring game and organize my life around that one event in the spring to prove what I had...kind of like showing up for practice. It is expected of you. This team is being coddled to the point of making me personally ill.

Ok, let the flaming begin...I don't care, I am sick of watching sub-par play year after year, with them having the attitude that we should be grateful for it. Nebraska fans expect championship caliber play...we have not gotten even a conference in years. It's bad enough to hear the excuses for this team from the people on this board that believe that the coaching staff and players cannot do any wrong, but when the coaching staff is making excuses not to have a game because some of the players have "family issues"....give me a break...they have gone too far. This team is not good enough to rest on it's laurels...they rank outside even the top 50 in a lot of catagories in the NCAA. They have a lot of room for improvement, and shouild be taking every opportunity to find that improvement.

Can you imagine Lombardi or Devaney saying something like what Bo said? NOT!! Coaches are supposed to push players to be their best, even if it means being hard on them, not making excuses and coddling them. Heck, lets all just go down to one of the bars down town guys and sit around and brag about how much better they are than the championship teams from the past decades, why bother even showing up to prove it on the field?

Grow up!! Either play ball or go home and be coddled by your parents. NO MORE EXCUSES!!

Give me a friggin' break!! If I was a player I would look forward to having the opportunity to play that Spring game and organize my life around that one event in the spring to prove what I had...kind of like showing up for practice. It is expected of you. This team is being coddled to the point of making me personally ill.

Ok, let the flaming begin...I don't care, I am sick of watching sub-par play year after year, with them having the attitude that we should be grateful for it. Nebraska fans expect championship caliber play...we have not gotten even a conference in years. It's bad enough to hear the excuses for this team from the people on this board that believe that the coaching staff and players cannot do any wrong, but when the coaching staff is making excuses not to have a game because some of the players have "family issues"....give me a break...they have gone too far. Can you imagine Lombardi or Devaney saying something like what Bo said? NOT!! Coaches are supposed to push players to be their best, even if it means being hard on them, not making excuses and coddling them. Heck, lets all just go down to one of the bars down town guys and sit around and brag about how much better they are than the championship teams from the past decades, why bother even showing up to prove it on the field?

Grow up!! Either play ball or go home and be coddled by your parents. NO MORE EXCUSES!!

serious-wtf.jpg

• Fire 1

Ok, let the flaming begin...I don't care, I am sick of watching sub-par play year after year, with them having the attitude that we should be grateful for it. Nebraska fans expect championship caliber play...we have not gotten even a conference title. It's bad enough to hear the excuses for this team from the people on this board that believe that the coaching staff and players cannot do any wrong, but when the coaching staff is making excuses not to have a game because some of the players have "family issues"....give me a break...they have gone too far. Can you imagine Lombardi or Devaney saying something like what Bo said? NOT!! Coaches are supposed to push players to be their best, even if it means being hard on them, not making excuses and coddling them.

C'mon HT this is not about coddling the team its about the safety of 60,000+ fans who could have been assembled in a relatively small area with no protection from potentially life threatening weather. You are being miopic in your assessment of the situation. Its not about the players its about the liability of the University if it had allowed a potentially dangerous situation.

T_O_B

Ok, let the flaming begin...I don't care, I am sick of watching sub-par play year after year, with them having the attitude that we should be grateful for it. Nebraska fans expect championship caliber play...we have not gotten even a conference in years. It's bad enough to hear the excuses for this team from the people on this board that believe that the coaching staff and players cannot do any wrong, but when the coaching staff is making excuses not to have a game because some of the players have "family issues"....give me a break...they have gone too far. This team is not good enough to rest on it's laurels...they rank outside even the top 50 in a lot of catagories in the NCAA. They have a lot of room for improvement, and shouild be taking every opportunity to find that improvement.

Can you imagine Lombardi or Devaney saying something like what Bo said? NOT!! Coaches are supposed to push players to be their best, even if it means being hard on them, not making excuses and coddling them. Heck, lets all just go down to one of the bars down town guys and sit around and brag about how much better they are than the championship teams from the past decades, why bother even showing up to prove it on the field?

3ol7ig.jpg

It's amazing to me that these 'super die hard fans' are reacting this way.

It's like Pelini &Tom Osborne, who some regard as one of the most ethical men in all of college athletics, came into their house, kicked them in the sack and stole $10 from them. Furthermore, they are going to use the $10 on hookers and blow and not that athletic program they are 'super die hard fans' of.

US_%2410_Series_2003_obverse.jpg

Obviously the players did the right thing by calling off practice. Every player I went to UNL with never skipped a class and was always diligent on their studies, and made their Physical Education, General Studies, or Communication degree their highest priority.

• Fire 1