Dennard Arrested for Assault

• 9 months later...

*bump*

Lawyers differ on events that led to former Husker's arrest

By Leslie Reed / World-Herald Bureau PUBLISHED TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2013 AT 11:26 AM / UPDATED AT 1:55 PM

LINCOLN — With the NFL draft a week away, former Husker cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was out celebrating with his brothers visiting from Georgia. Things turned sour as that April night came to a close, with Dennard under arrest for assaulting a police officer and another bar patron, as well as for resisting arrest. During opening arguments Tuesday at Dennard's trial, lawyers gave different accounts of events leading up to the arrest.

LINK

Bet he spends a few days in the pokey. And pays a hefty fine.

*bump*

By Leslie Reed / World-Herald Bureau PUBLISHED TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2013 AT 11:26 AM / UPDATED AT 1:55 PM

LINCOLN — With the NFL draft a week away, former Husker cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was out celebrating with his brothers visiting from Georgia. Things turned sour as that April night came to a close, with Dennard under arrest for assaulting a police officer and another bar patron, as well as for resisting arrest. During opening arguments Tuesday at Dennard's trial, lawyers gave different accounts of events leading up to the arrest.

LINK

i'd be surprised if he spends any time in jail most of the charges will probably be dropped and he'll just end up paying a big fine. not sure if its his first time getting in trouble though that would have an impact as well

*bump*

LINK

i'd be surprised if he spends any time in jail most of the charges will probably be dropped and he'll just end up paying a big fine. not sure if its his first time getting in trouble though that would have an impact as well

I hope you're right. Dennard wasn't a troublemaker at anytime during his college career--until the eve of the draft. :facepalm:

It's just that he (supposedly) punched a cop. I doubt he walks away scott-free from that . Regardless of who he is.

I'm more surprised that there isn't a deal plead in this case already. The defense has had a chance to look over the prosecution's evidence and witnesses, so they should know if there are witnesses who will corroborate the officer's story that Dennard punched him. Knowing that, it's odd to me they let this go to trial.

Plea it down to a misdemeanor, get a slap on the wrist, and move on. The fact that they haven't is odd.

Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard could learn his fate tomorrow if the jury in his case can reach a verdict on three charges stemming from an alleged altercation with a police officer last April.

The sides gave their closing arguments this morning, and the jury deliberated the case for six hours today but couldn't reach a decision before the judge's 7 p.m. deadline, according to reporters on the scene in Lincoln, Neb. The jury will resume deliberations tomorrow at 10 a.m.

LINK

Sounds like we find out tomorrow. Probably.

If there was a plea offered and they didn't take it, the defense are a pack of fools.

I'd be surprised to see him do jail time. Society doesn't need to be protected from Alfonzo Dennard. But then I figured this would never go to trial anyway, so what do I know?

The law requires only that prosecutors show Dennard intentionally, knowingly or recklessly swung at the officer, injuring him as a result. Kopsa testified that he visited a physician assistant two days after the assault because he continued to feel pain and tightness in his jaw. He was prescribed ibuprofen.
LINK

I know it's the intent, not the result, that is judged here. But if he goes to jail for swinging at a guy who grabbed him from behind and that guy turns out to be a police officer, and all the officer got out of it was an injury requiring over-the-counter ibuprofen to treat, I'll be pissed. Our jails are overcrowded as it is, and this guy isn't a menace.

• Fire 2