The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

I also forgot to add to the rumor alert that Dijon Washington may also be transferring, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

thats a good thing. open scholly for someone who may contribute.

if ron brown is canned, thats total bullsh#t. since when can't you stand up for your beliefs? wow. suck it harvey.

To hijack. If Brown gets canned it sux. Say all you want about representing NU, but it comes down to what is PC in this country. Attack Christianity, rock on you are a free thinker. Give a view contrary to the PC crowd and you are a hate monger, homophobic, racist etc........ Free speech is only free if goes along with the PC crowd. Would love to see NU stand their ground on this one if they are being pressured to fire Brown.

I'd like to think that the majority of people who have a problem with him aren't attacking his faith, but rather a small aspect of it. His faith is what seems to make him a good person and a good coach. He obviously has lived a good life and is a fairly successful man, but (I can only speak for myself here) I want him fired because he has publicly stated that homosexuality is wrong and that he would be honored to be fired for believing that. That's a terrible thing to believe. It has nothing to do with being a religious person. We as a human race shouldn't hate each other for things as trivial as who we want to spend our lives with.

BTW: It's sad that accepting gay people is considered "PC"

The one thing that folks across the board, and unfortunately many Christians as well, fail to see is that God can not stand any sin. In the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, as is being envious, jealous, anxious, covetous etc........Man (again sadly Christians) tend to marginalize their sins and look at them through the eyes of man rather than God. I saw a post one time that said, don't hate me because my sin looks different than yours....... So very true. God cannot look upon sin, but commands us to "love our neighbors as our self".

The acceptance of homosexuality has become PC, by the media, advocacy groups and others. Nothing wrong with that. My issue is if people speak against it, they are labeled as hate mongers. If Brown, speaks his faith, why do some call for him to be fired. Why do they say it is hate speech? Check out this guy, sponsored by the National Journalists who spoke at a recent HS reference bullying of all things

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/christian-teens-say-gay-activist-made-girls-cry.html

As for being fired, he talks about being fired for standing up for his faith and his God (not because of his thoughts on homosexuality).

It is ironic how philosophy professors and others, paid by tax dollars can talk negatively about Christianity, in their classes and not get fired. See a conflict here. Ron Brown, as a person (even though known as a NU coach), folks want him fired, yet professors are free to speak as part of the "higher learning" or enlightenment" of youth.

You could see it that way, or you could see it as God created man and woman for each other, and some people sin by choosing to enter homosexual relationships.

So are you insinuating that God expects the people he created with a strong affinity for the same sex to simply ignore this desire? Or are you saying that an attraction for the same sex doesn't exist and those choosing to be homosexuals are doing so for no apparent reason?

I also forgot to add to the rumor alert that Dijon Washington may also be transferring, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

if ron brown is canned, thats total bullsh#t. since when can't you stand up for your beliefs? wow. suck it harvey.

To hijack. If Brown gets canned it sux. Say all you want about representing NU, but it comes down to what is PC in this country. Attack Christianity, rock on you are a free thinker. Give a view contrary to the PC crowd and you are a hate monger, homophobic, racist etc........ Free speech is only free if goes along with the PC crowd. Would love to see NU stand their ground on this one if they are being pressured to fire Brown.

I'd like to think that the majority of people who have a problem with him aren't attacking his faith, but rather a small aspect of it. His faith is what seems to make him a good person and a good coach. He obviously has lived a good life and is a fairly successful man, but (I can only speak for myself here) I want him fired because he has publicly stated that homosexuality is wrong and that he would be honored to be fired for believing that. That's a terrible thing to believe. It has nothing to do with being a religious person. We as a human race shouldn't hate each other for things as trivial as who we want to spend our lives with.

The one thing that folks across the board, and unfortunately many Christians as well, fail to see is that God can not stand any sin. In the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, as is being envious, jealous, anxious, covetous etc........Man (again sadly Christians) tend to marginalize their sins and look at them through the eyes of man rather than God. I saw a post one time that said, don't hate me because my sin looks different than yours....... So very true. God cannot look upon sin, but commands us to "love our neighbors as our self".

The acceptance of homosexuality has become PC, by the media, advocacy groups and others. Nothing wrong with that. My issue is if people speak against it, they are labeled as hate mongers. If Brown, speaks his faith, why do some call for him to be fired. Why do they say it is hate speech? Check out this guy, sponsored by the National Journalists who spoke at a recent HS reference bullying of all things

http://radio.foxnews...-girls-cry.html

As for being fired, he talks about being fired for standing up for his faith and his God (not because of his thoughts on homosexuality).

It is ironic how philosophy professors and others, paid by tax dollars can talk negatively about Christianity, in their classes and not get fired. See a conflict here. Ron Brown, as a person (even though known as a NU coach), folks want him fired, yet professors are free to speak as part of the "higher learning" or enlightenment" of youth.

i dont think that ron brown should be fired, not at all, but i think he should have been smart enough to see the can of worms he was opening by making that comment

http://radio.foxnews...-girls-cry.html

I know some philosophy professors that you're talking about. I've taken 4-5 philosophy courses during my 3 years at UNL and I can say that not one of them has ever said anything bad about Christians. They merely present alternative views to reality. They certainly don't try and make believers feel like lesser people, like what Ron Brown does to homosexuals.

• Fire 2

i totally agree, and ron brown does seem to be a good person, but why did he feel the need to say this publicly. if thats the way that he feels thats fine, but he should know better than to bring up such a controversial subject. sometimes its better to just keep your mouth shut and i think this was one of those times.

and sweet sig, i cracked up when i seen that

I don't think he brought the subject up, rather he was simply responding to a reporters question. Why he didn't skirt the issue, keep his mouth shut, or not answer truthfully? I don't think that's who he is and I don't think he felt the need or desire to succumb to the PC crowd. Agree with him or disagree with him, it takes a lot of integrity to stand by your beliefs like that. I have nothing but admiration for him even though I would like to see him deflect these type of questions and let the issue simply die. He's a good coach, a great person, and an asset to our athletic department. It is a shame that this might lead to his departure from NU. The only losers in this deal will be our team and current and future players. Ron Brown will be just fine no matter what happens.

lol

No one is taking away Ron Brown's right to free speech. He can say whatever he wants and not be locked up for it. His right to free speech doesn't protect him from being fired from his job. Considering UNL's anti discrimination policy, standing their ground probably wouldn't bode well for Coach Brown in this case.

• Fire 3

You could see it that way, or you could see it as God created man and woman for each other, and some people sin by choosing to enter homosexual relationships.

So are you insinuating that God expects the people he created with a strong affinity for the same sex to simply ignore this desire? Or are you saying that an attraction for the same sex doesn't exist and those choosing to be homosexuals are doing so for no apparent reason?

I'm saying the temptation to pursue homosexual relations exists in a lot of people exists. I guess you could call it attraction. Since when is it a bad thing to resist temptation? A lot of times, resisting temptation can be extremely rewarding. In this case, resisting the temptation of a homosexual relationship has a lot of rewards. You are more accepted by society and you save yourself from sin. My $0.02

I actually agree with your point on natural not necessarily meaning good. That's absolutely right. In every case you have to apply reason to assess harm. In the case of murder, theft, and rape, ask yourself what kind of civilization we could build where these were the norm. The result would be a (short lived) disaster. Homosexuality is not theft, rape, or murder. It is a natural instinct of a certain small percentage of our population that results in the wonderful bonding and loving relationships that everyone else enjoys. What is Christianity with its outdated, outmoded scripture to tell these people they should be ashamed of themselves or each other?

It's the resurrection of the Christ as God on Earth. What kind of civilization can we build where homosexuality is the norm? Would also be short lived, would it not? I mean I think procreation is a pretty essential part of building a civilization.

Maybe one like Rome.

It really is causing more bad headlines. Its again on ESPN with an editorial from Gene Wojciechowski. Its in the public view now and it does not look to be going away, people will keep asking him about it and Brown won't be smart enough to say 'no comment.'

What could really get him under fire is he is publicly railing against a University of Nebraska policy. NU has a non-discrimination statement/policy that states the following:

"It is the policy of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln not to discriminate based upon age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, sex, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran's status, marital status, religion or political affiliation."

Sure he has a right to free speech, but that only holds for criminal points. There can still be consequences, particularly for those in the public eye. And lets be honest, more people in this state know who Ron Brown is than who any of the elected officials are. If he does not tone it down, he may well be asked to leave.

And to rehash that right to free speech is as a private citizen, not as a coach at the university of Nebraska using said pulpit to proclaim said speech. It's the crux of the issue that may be surfacing with Brown and not so much whether you agree with his sentiments or not. I know many do.

All that being said, I find Brown and the whole Bible's concept of sin ridiculous. I don't agree with it and think if a god actually judges people based off of some of these insane rules that are only subject to assumption by interpretation because we have to rely on copies of copies of translations of copies of terribly contradictory pages (compiled by humans)...then he's more fallible and unloving than many think.

Let people love who they want to love and allow them to have the inalienable human rights we all deserve. It's really not that hard.

I agree. I find it absurd to rely on a convoluted interpretation of the bible to distinguish whether or not something is moral. A similar type of logic was used to justify discrimination against African Americans. I implore anyone who believes that homosexuality is a distasteful sin to speak to some homosexuals and reason it out yourself whether or not it is a sin. Based on my experience, the only way to assert that homosexuality is a sin is to argue that heterosexuality is a sin as well.

If you read my long post up about 10 responses or so you will notice i point this out.....Adam and Eve only became aware of their sexuality after sin entered the world. and there is only one circumstance by which sexual impulse can be acted upon and is not a sin. However, even hetro-sexuals commit sins of sexual immorality on a daily basis through lust and the such.

So god creates some people who are attracted to the opposite sex which is construed as love but he creates various people that are attracted to the same sex and their attraction is considered sinful?

Couldn't it be that God created a perfect man and woman (adam and eve) and that they SINNED which caused IMPERFECTION to become manifest in them as punishment for their sin? Hence, disease, etc. is there because Adam and Eve were dumb and rebelled against God thinking they had the right to decide what was good and bad for themselves. Now, we inherit that sin (actually, a genetic weakness or abnormality) as the human race.

Just my thoughts on it. I don't blame God for human problems.

Knowledge as a sin has always baffled me. Oh no, don't think for yourself, be good little sheep.

Another one that has always stuck in my head. If 'perfection' was everyone running around naked, shouldn't we be striving to be doing that again? Not viewing the naked body as 'sinful?' Never made a bit of sense to me.

• Fire 1

I'm saying the temptation to pursue homosexual relations exists in a lot of people exists. I guess you could call it attraction. Since when is it a bad thing to resist temptation? A lot of times, resisting temptation can be extremely rewarding. In this case, resisting the temptation of a homosexual relationship has a lot of rewards. You are more accepted by society and you save yourself from sin. My $0.02

I don't think it's healthy to resist doing something because you're afraid of what people think. You always hear people saying to just be yourself...I believe that and I also believe resisting something because you don't want to be rejected by a society that hasn't come to grips with nature isn't a good thing. My $0.02.

Living your life to be accepted by society is about the most unhealthy and ungodly way to lead a life. I think this post speaks volumes how a lot of Christians conduct themselves.