The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

I'm all for Brown saying what he wants to say. But I'm also free to say his opinion is stupid. If he was a white guy saying that black people shouldn't have special laws for equal protection...or that black people are sinners...would you not consider that a bigoted statement that no one should complain about?

Yes, I would. But that is about race, not homosexuality. Totally different things.

For rational people, they aren't in this case.

I'm going to flat out say it. To me, your religion and it's beliefs are based on MYTH. On anecdotal stories in an anonymously written book that is not based on any factual evidence whatsoever. And YOU are in the majority in this country for some reason. YOU are the ones who make laws preventing homosexuals from having the same rights as the rest of us...YOU are the ones holding signs and declaring homosexuals as sinners...YOU are the ones making commercials condemning the lifestyle as doing damage to the fabric of society. Your supposedly "inclusive" religion is anything but. You pick and choose what to follow while ignoring anything that you disagree with or don't feel good about. You preach about how Jesus loves everyone and "only god can judge the sinner"...but then continue to make threats of hell and warn how sinful another person's life is publicly...while, again, ignoring parts of your book that would tell you to do the same towards other sins.

You're making a very generalized statement regarding Christians. I also had a gay friend who lives in Michigan, he told me every Sunday they have a Catholic church there that has a mass for gay people. So you can find Christians on the other side of the fence also.

I do not know if the Catholic archdiocese in Michigan knows about this mass or if the priest himself resides over this mass because he accepts all people for who they are, but I was happy to hear that he was able to go to church and not be judged for being gay.

You're making a very generalized statement regarding Christians. I also had a gay friend who lives in Michigan, he told me every Sunday they have a Catholic church there that has a mass for gay people. So you can find Christians on the other side of the fence also.

I do not know if the Catholic archdiocese in Michigan knows about this mass or if the priest himself resides over this mass because he accepts all people for who they are, but I was happy to hear that he was able to go to church and not be judged for being gay.

Yes, I know I'm not speaking to Christians as a whole. There are very kind and accepting Christians who don't judge homosexuals or even think that god judges them as less than equal. I know there are many homosexuals who also identify themselves as Christians also. And that's great.

My post was more towards the Christians who like to publicly condemn homosexuality as a sin and the sinners themselves as less-than-Christian in god's eyes.

Okay, I'm going to work from the bottom up on your quote.

It is ironic how philosophy professors and others, paid by tax dollars can talk negatively about Christianity, in their classes and not get fired. See a conflict here. Ron Brown, as a person (even though known as a NU coach), folks want him fired, yet professors are free to speak as part of the "higher learning" or enlightenment" of youth.

I'm going to flat out say it. To me, your religion and it's beliefs are based on MYTH. On anecdotal stories in an anonymously written book that is not based on any factual evidence whatsoever. And YOU are in the majority in this country for some reason. YOU are the ones who make laws preventing homosexuals from having the same rights as the rest of us...YOU are the ones holding signs and declaring homosexuals as sinners...YOU are the ones making commercials condemning the lifestyle as doing damage to the fabric of society. Your supposedly "inclusive" religion is anything but. You pick and choose what to follow while ignoring anything that you disagree with or don't feel good about. You preach about how Jesus loves everyone and "only god can judge the sinner"...but then continue to make threats of hell and warn how sinful another person's life is publicly...while, again, ignoring parts of your book that would tell you to do the same towards other sins.

As for being fired, he talks about being fired for standing up for his faith and his God (not because of his thoughts on homosexuality).

His thoughts on homosexuality are only formed by his faith in the biblical god.

The acceptance of homosexuality has become PC, by the media, advocacy groups and others. Nothing wrong with that. My issue is if people speak against it, they are labeled as hate mongers. If Brown, speaks his faith, why do some call for him to be fired. Why do they say it is hate speech? Check out this guy, sponsored by the National Journalists who spoke at a recent HS reference bullying of all thingshttp://radio.foxnews...-girls-cry.html

I'm all for Brown saying what he wants to say. But I'm also free to say his opinion is stupid. If he was a white guy saying that black people shouldn't have special laws for equal protection...or that black people are sinners...would you not consider that a bigoted statement that no one should complain about?

Regarding the link: http://www.huffingto..._n_1340228.html

The one thing that folks across the board, and unfortunately many Christians as well, fail to see is that God can not stand any sin. In the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, as is being envious, jealous, anxious, covetous etc........Man (again sadly Christians) tend to marginalize their sins and look at them through the eyes of man rather than God. I saw a post one time that said, don't hate me because my sin looks different than yours....... So very true. God cannot look upon sin, but commands us to "love our neighbors as our self".

yes, we've heard the "god can't stand any sin" argument. It's brought up time and time again when you try and rationalize why you only pick on homosexuals. (I love how intimately you know your god's reason for everything). When was the last time Brown spoke out publicly against divorces in this country? Or Blasphemy? Or other religions? Or the hundreds of other sins in the Bible that are apparently just as equal?

I'm sorry if I seem heated on this. But I have close family members and friends who are gay and when I hear other people try to rationalize their bigotry and belief system towards this issue...it just really irks me.

You do not know me or my story. Would probably shock you if you did. I can not convince you of the reality of Jesus no more than you will EVER convince me he does not exist. I am not the one holding signs, keeping people from getting jobs. Your views are based upon what I think is a very limited experience with Christians. I am far from the bigoted person you make me out to be. Seems you are doing to me, what you are complaining folks are doing about homosexuality. Judging them............

There are Christians and followers of Christ. I try my best, and fail daily, to be a living example of Christ. My sins, to God, are just as ugly as yours and everyone else's. As stated several times, society likes to marginalize their sins in order to make themselves feel better. Fool yourself (people in general), but you are not fooling God. I truly believe that God does not differentiate sin. He hates it all. I believe in all the Bible, and that it is the 100% in errant word of God. As for hell. yes I know it is real. I know some will go there and some will not. I know what I believe (God's message not mine) gets you there and what keeps you out. The great thing is it is free, doesn't cost a thing and here is the shocker is available to all people! It is called Grace. Jesus didn't die for people like him. He died for the broken and lost, the discarded and forgotten. That is an amazing sacrifice. (Even if only a myth to you)

Myth [mith] - noun

a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being, hero, or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature

It is kind of ironic that the jist of most of the posts in this thread by the non-Christian posters is this:

"Hey! Let people be who they are, do the things they wanna do, blah blah blah.

p.s. All you Christians, your religion is a bunch of lies. How could you believe something so unbelievable?!"

Yes, I would. But that is about race, not homosexuality. Totally different things.

For rational people, they aren't in this case.

Not necessarily true. I can see where Shark differentiates the two into two completely different categories. You can't choose your race so therefore any law discriminating against a race would appear bigoted. The way Shark and others view sexual orientation (that being as a choice) would logically suggest that any law that discriminates against homosexuality wouldn't appear as bigoted as people who "choose" to be homosexual do so knowing that they will be discriminated against.

Now I don't agree with that, but I can see where they are two different things.

It is kind of ironic that the jist of most of the posts in this thread by the non-Christian posters is this:

p.s. All you Christians, your religion is a bunch of lies. How could you believe something so unbelievable?!"

You're making the mistake of grouping all non-Christians into the same group. Most non-Christians in this thread have said let people be who they are, and they actually let people believe what they want. And then there are the non-Christians who try to "proselytize" as bad as some Christians in this thread, some of whom share the sentiment of: let people believe what they want.

It is kind of ironic that the jist of most of the posts in this thread by the non-Christian posters is this: "Hey! Let people be who they are, do the things they wanna do, blah blah blah. p.s. All you Christians, your religion is a bunch of lies. How could you believe something so unbelievable?!"
You're making the mistake of grouping all non-Christians into the same group. Most non-Christians in this thread have said let people be who they are, and they actually let people believe what they want. And then there are the non-Christians who try to "proselytize" as bad as some Christians in this thread, some of whom share the sentiment of: let people believe what they want.

Exactly.

Agnostic ≠ Atheist.

I don't care what anyone chooses to believe. The one thing I do take issue with is when people try to cram the *insert religious text here* into reasoning as to wether to pass a bill or law.

I don't care how religious you are as soon as you show up to a public hearing and start saying something is wrong b/c of the Bible and you will be held accountable I tune you out. It has no business in our policy decisions.

I don't give a crap what the Bible says about homosexuality being a sin or not. Even if it was one of the Ten Commandments I wouldn't care. Some one should not be discriminated b/c of their sexual orientation plain and simple. It is just decent human behavior. And yes in an ideal world we wouldn't need anti discrimination laws, but we are not in an ideal world and a group of people being treated as 2nd class is flat wrong no matter who you pray or don't pray to.

What's ironic? No one has said that Christians should be punching bag for culture wars and legislative battles like gay people have been for years.

Some of us simply want to be governed by reason rather than the accounts of a band of failed carpenters, fishermen and beggars 2000 years ago, and a historically insignifcant nomandic tribe before that.

• Fire 2

All that being said, I find Brown and the whole Bible's concept of sin ridiculous. I don't agree with it and think if a god actually judges people based off of some of these insane rules that are only subject to assumption by interpretation because we have to rely on copies of copies of translations of copies of terribly contradictory pages (compiled by humans)...then he's more fallible and unloving than many think.

Let people love who they want to love and allow them to have the inalienable human rights we all deserve. It's really not that hard.

I agree. I find it absurd to rely on a convoluted interpretation of the bible to distinguish whether or not something is moral. A similar type of logic was used to justify discrimination against African Americans. I implore anyone who believes that homosexuality is a distasteful sin to speak to some homosexuals and reason it out yourself whether or not it is a sin. Based on my experience, the only way to assert that homosexuality is a sin is to argue that heterosexuality is a sin as well.

If you read my long post up about 10 responses or so you will notice i point this out.....Adam and Eve only became aware of their sexuality after sin entered the world. and there is only one circumstance by which sexual impulse can be acted upon and is not a sin. However, even hetro-sexuals commit sins of sexual immorality on a daily basis through lust and the such.

So god creates some people who are attracted to the opposite sex which is construed as love but he creates various people that are attracted to the same sex and their attraction is considered sinful?

Not all herto-sexual acts are unsinful. My point is lust or the desire to act on sexual impulse is a sin.....except in one scenario with your wife for the purpose of pro-creation and as a fun recreational activity to strengthen the unwavering bonds of marriage. I equate homo-sexuality and the acts commited to be exactly the same as fornication between hetro couples.

What's ironic? No one has said that Christians should be punching bag for culture wars and legislative battles like gay people have been for years.

Some of us simply want to be governed by reason rather than the accounts of a band of failed carpenters, fishermen and beggars 2000 years ago, and a historically insignifcant nomandic tribe before that.

Not to argue, but the bolded comment is not exactly one that think "no one should be a punching bag......" but your comments would tend to get a Christian defensive.

Homosexuals do not have the market on bias and or suffering. Here is a link that shows how much Christians have been and continue to suffer for their beliefs.

http://www.persecution.com/

Unfortunately, discussions of religion, like politics never end well.