My Crazy B1G Expansion Idea

3 reasons for Pitt: They are an AAU (academics) member, they have a rivalry with Penn State, and location.

But the biggest negative is their AD! What he did to Nebraska is just beneath contempt. If they change their AD I would welcome them with open arms but just the thought of what he did to NU makes my blood boil!!

Also the fact that we already have the Pennsylvania TV market with Penn State.

Why are we so hung up on markets? Aside from Atlanta and NO what great markets does the SEC pull? Not many. At least not in comparison to us. They get TV money because they have great teams that play National Championship football. People watch for that reason and the networks reward them for it. The power brokers also know that GT doesn't pull metro Atlanta, UGA and to a lesser extent AU do.

We don't need to add the Jackets to get more money. To do that we need to improve our product. Big name teams and winning titles will make that happen. That's why adding NU was a great move and ND is the next logical step.

We already have great regional markets. The goal is a national one.

Grabbing Georgia Tech would be a big plus for Big Ten recruiting because you could promise recruits the opportunity to play a game in their homestate (or near their homestate) for probably at least once in their career. Also, if we could add Atalanta to the Big Ten Network market, there's an even greater for southern families to watch their kid play on TV every saturday. Furthermore, think of all the TV sets you would add from an entirely new location by brining in GT. All those cable companies would add the network to their basic packages, which would be a lot. College athletics is becoming a very money-driven industry and although we may not like that fact, we better embrace it instead of being left behind.

Markets and fanbase followings are becoming more and more important.

3 reasons for Pitt: They are an AAU (academics) member, they have a rivalry with Penn State, and location.

But the biggest negative is their AD! What he did to Nebraska is just beneath contempt. If they change their AD I would welcome them with open arms but just the thought of what he did to NU makes my blood boil!!

I'm sure that's high on Delaney's list of expansion concerns.

It doesn't matter if it is or not. You have to remember Bucky that this is a HUSKER message board. No disrespect intended but that was such a horrible time for us-I don't know if you have any idea how painful it was to watch years and years of tradition trashed by someone who was one of your own. :(

Mizzou would be such a better fit in the B1G over the $EC. They know that. Wait till they see all the illegal recruiting they will have to do just to stay relevant. ARK was willing to do it ... I just don't see MU doing it or stomaching the sanctions well at all. High risk/reward. I'd also favor a school like Kansas, then Notre Dame. I'm up in the air on the other spot.

IF the Big Ten were to go to 16 the Big Ten wants Notre Dame, Virginia (not VT) and would also love North Carolina (unlikely to get UNC though) and would take Maryland or Missouri if it meant getting an even number.

They have no real interest in Pittsburgh, Syracuse or Rutgers.

Also there's no need for pods, they can just do two 8 team divisions and do an unbalanced 4 year rotational schedule instead of the current home/away back to back scheduling.

9 conference games + 2 nonconference+ 2(championship games) 13 potential regular season games. No real big difference in games.

Also I chose these teams primarily due to location, and history, but those could be different.

No difference, as in none at all. Potential for 14 games, same as it is currently.

I would like to see something like this. Talk about a moonshot.

My Crazy B1G Expansion Idea

tumblr_m3x33jV7XR1rvwq31o1_400.gif

Yes, it is crazy. CRAZY!!

The biggest hurdle in adding Nebraska and forming two conferences was maintaining all the rivalry games--or as many as possible. "The Game"--Michigan vs. tOSU--is the grandaddy of B1G Ten rivalry games. Maybe the biggest rivalry game in college football. But there must be at least a dozen other lesser B10 rivalry games that need to be considered. To succeed, any plan for a B10 conference realignment would need to maintain most of the conference rivalry games. If not, Paul Bunyan's axe would smash your realignment plan to pieces. But maybe there's some possible way to fit four more teams into the mix, and still keep most of the rivalry games. It's hard to say since your idea is so CRAZY!!

While it would create some excitement making the first 16 team league, unless I'm missing something the inequity in games would be a stumbling block for the lesser teams. 2 teams each year would play 13 games. 2 teams would play 12 while the other 12 would only get 11 (plus a bowl game if lucky). Many schools have a hard time surviving on the revenue from 12 games and since the lesser blowls are a financial drain it would cost them to send a team. I'm not sure if the revenue sharing from the extra championship game would make up the difference.

While it would create some excitement making the first 16 team league, unless I'm missing something the inequity in games would be a stumbling block for the lesser teams. 2 teams each year would play 13 games. 2 teams would play 12 while the other 12 would only get 11 (plus a bowl game if lucky). Many schools have a hard time surviving on the revenue from 12 games and since the lesser blowls are a financial drain it would cost them to send a team. I'm not sure if the revenue sharing from the extra championship game would make up the difference.

The WAC was a 16-team, 4-pod conference. And that went so well for them . . .

The biggest problem with going to 16 - less $ per team.

The Big 12 is thumping their chest with their per team TV $ is just short of the mighty sec at $19 million.

But they don't mention its 10 teams versus 14 teams or $190 million for Big 12 versus $280 million for sec.

You have to add teams that add value - some article said that the only 2 teams that would not hurt the B1G bottom line are ND and (heaven forbid) Texass

Only problem with this is that there would be too few similar opponents between teams in each division. Nebraska and Minnesota could end up only having 3 similar opponents on both their schedule (including the game between each other) and having the 6 other games between teams neither team has both played. I would go with a divisional matchup setup like in the NFL. I would do it like this; You play your divisional opponents every year plus one other division for 2 year for a home and home series (you could do just one year with another division and then flip the home sites next time that division is rotated back on the schedule) plus 2 teams from the other 2 divsions. So for Nebraska lets say we get the East division to start with. We play our West opponents and then the East division as does everybody else in our division. Then you do a home and home with one team from the North and South. After two years we rotate the North division on our schedule and play a team from the East and South for a home and home, etc

Why Notre Dame?

They would secure the NY market and a large national market. Despite how much we may not like them, they have a huge following, more than any other college team in NY and quite possibly the largest fan base in the country.

Also would provide even more marque games for primetime TV.

So to simply put it - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Also they have very strong academics (so much so, that their actually very worried that joining the Big Ten would lower their academic status).

I understand the national fanbase of Notre Dame, but not sure why it would be gain the attention of an entire NY market. Is this where most of the TV ratings come from or what? I figured NY City to be an NFL town and the other parts of the state had large support for Syracuse or other in-state schools. But I live in Omaha, and may not know any better...